• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Wethead has arrived....

An overview of highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS.

ÔÇó Completely newly designed engine for top-level riding dynamics within the travel enduro segment.

ÔÇó Capacity 1170 cc, rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm.

ÔÇó Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow for increased efficiency and performance.

ÔÇó Compact air/water cooling for optimum heat management.

ÔÇó Basic engine with compact, light and yet rigidity-optimised crankshaft.

ÔÇó Vertically separated case in open deck construction.

ÔÇó 6-speed gearbox integrated in engine housing, including wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced lever operation force.

ÔÇó New intake system for optimum output and torque with 52 mm throttle valve diameter.

ÔÇó E-gas for improved ridability, running smoothness and special functions.

ÔÇó Innovative exhaust gas system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum performance characteristics and an earthy boxer sound.

ÔÇó Freely selectable riding modes ÔÇ£RainÔÇØ, ÔÇ£RoadÔÇØ, ÔÇ£DynamicÔÇØ, ÔÇ£EnduroÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Enduro ProÔÇØ with three different electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road riding as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works).

ÔÇó New suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame.

ÔÇó Optimised lightweight cardan shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.

ÔÇó Newly developed and optimised Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear for an even more precise ride feel.

ÔÇó Refined master chassis geometry data and long swingarm for excellent traction.

ÔÇó Optimised seating width and position, and adjustable handlebars for even greater comfort.

ÔÇó Optimised ground reach for rider (inner leg length).

ÔÇó Tyre/wheel dimensions of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear as a world first, tailored specially to the R 1200 GS.

ÔÇó Revised BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with enlarged brake disc at rear (?ÿ 276mm, previously 265mm).

ÔÇó BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.

ÔÇó Semiactive suspension Dynamic ESA (ex works option).

ÔÇó Main headlight with optimised light efficiency and LED daytime running light (ex works option).

ÔÇó WorldÔÇÖs first motorcycle with LED main headlight featuring integrated daytime running light (ex works option).

ÔÇó New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.

ÔÇó Extended electric switch units.

ÔÇó Electronic cruise control (ex works option).

ÔÇó Preparation for navigation unit with Multi-Controller to operate the
BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (ex works option).

ÔÇó Windshield with one-hand operation for excellent wind and weather protection.

ÔÇó Seat with multiple adjustment functions for perfect ergonomics.

ÔÇó Number plate carriers quick to dismount for off-road riding.

ÔÇó Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm)

ÔÇó New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer as an option.

ÔÇó Four main paint finishes to choose from:

Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic

Paul,
I'd appreciate YOUR analysis of the difference/benefits of the old vs. new rather than a restatement of the BMW promo...

BMW says full line of accessories will be available for a full farklization for enduro, dirt/asphalt, and touring. Did you really think they'd let Touratech and Wunderlich and others get all the accessorization dollars and euros???

I can't wait for the question of what glycol water does one use and the answers here on the forum.

:p

Keep up man.

Now that the Wethead has been released at Intermot Med Wet will be moving into the final phases of our preparation for and roll out of emergency liquid response program to meet the discerning needs of this community.

:wave

Now that the Wethead has been released at Intermot Med Wet will be moving into the final phases of our preparation for and roll out of emergency liquid response program to meet the discerning needs of this community.

Let the "best coolant" threads begin..............................:whistle

Let the "best coolant" threads begin..............................:whistle

:rofl

I don't think Ian had posted all his pictures before we started getting FDF comments. That's why Med Wet will be supplying a variety of coolants compliant with the BMW specifications to meet the needs of our customers. Have to give those - 'best coolant' thread - participants and readers something to talk about.

:rofl

Wow. Interesting bike on a lot of levels. From a mechanical engineering standpoint, I like it. From an aesthetic standpoint, well...

Don't get me wrong here, I've always been one of those freaks who LIKE the looks of GSes; hell, I even think the previous incarnations of R1200GS were downright SEXY. I even loved the beak!

But the beak on this one looks like some sort of mean, ill-intended insect proboscis, and the black butresses on either side of the headlight rather exacerbate the effect, as do those two jutting protrusions on either side of the tank. That exhaust-can is major fugly too; BMW must be in collusion with the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. Other than those points, it's OK. And I'm sure that it will be a HOOT'N A HALF to ride!

I wait with bated breath on pricing info too. I was bike-shopping recently and apparently there's been no recession at BMW! :jawdrop

EDIT: and Kudos to BMW for not ratcheting up the displacement. The constant u-spiraling of motorbike engine sizes has been getting almost ridiculous lately.

" the secondary drive now runs via the well-established cardan shaft"

Is this a good thing?
What did it run before if it's well established?

I like the orange coolant since it reminds me of a creamsicle.

:dance

Keep up man.

I wonder if sponges have been added to the tool kits.

I hope BMW has a winner here, but I'm going to wait and see.

It will be very interesting to see how the new GS model turns out. There are soooooo many changes. I'm not so sure I would experiment with water cooling and all the other changes on my best selling model when the current version is so popular. I would have made a second version of the R1200R and watercooled it with a few extra horses and experiment with it for a few years.
And the price????

Even now people freak out when they are a little low on oil on a road trip. Think how freaked they'll be in the middle of nowhere and they spring a water leak. BMW should issue some surplus military shovels with the model so when the water leaks out, you can start digging. Will Perrier work? :whistle

E.

I hope BMW has a winner here, but I'm going to wait and see.

It will be very interesting to see how the new GS model turns out. There are soooooo many changes. I'm not so sure I would experiment with water cooling and all the other changes on my best selling model when the current version is so popular. I would have made a second version of the R1200R and watercooled it with a few extra horses and experiment with it for a few years.
And the price????

Even now people freak out when they are a little low on oil on a road trip. Think how freaked they'll be in the middle of nowhere and they spring a water leak. BMW should issue some surplus military shovels with the model so when the water leaks out, you can start digging. :whistle

E.

This is similar to what they said about Ford when they decided to go with the Ecoboost V6 engine in their best selling F-150. People said a V6 couldn't take the loads and that pick-up owners would not buy it over the traditional V8. The engine has proven to be very reliable and they can't keep up with demand for the engine. I think 40%+ of the F-150s sold are sold with the Ecoboost.

Regarding water leaks. From what I understand, they are replacing the oil cooling with water cooling. Why would water be more likely to leak than oil? Water leaks have not been an issue with ATVs that converted from air to water cooling several years ago (and they are abused far worse than the GS)? Water leaks have not been a problem on cars, trucks, jeeps, tractors, etc. that have been water cooled for over a century.

I have and have had John Deere lawn equipment. 3 were air cooled and two were water cooled (Kawasaki). The air cooled engines used a little oil over the summer but neither of the water cooled engines used any oil the entire summer. Water cooling allows closer tolerances because the heat range is not as great.

i know i'm an old fart but i still think..

...that a retro bmw motorcycle with a state of the art drive train would sell very well.....

Last edited:
Back