• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Wethead has arrived....

Visian

look out!!!
P90104463highRes-L.jpg

P90104482highRes-L.jpg

P90104492highRes-L.jpg

P90104447highRes-L.jpg

Big pig!

Ian

From the Press Kit

An overview of highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS.

ÔÇó Completely newly designed engine for top-level riding dynamics within the travel enduro segment.

ÔÇó Capacity 1170 cc, rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm.

ÔÇó Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow for increased efficiency and performance.

ÔÇó Compact air/water cooling for optimum heat management.

ÔÇó Basic engine with compact, light and yet rigidity-optimised crankshaft.

ÔÇó Vertically separated case in open deck construction.

ÔÇó 6-speed gearbox integrated in engine housing, including wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced lever operation force.

ÔÇó New intake system for optimum output and torque with 52 mm throttle valve diameter.

ÔÇó E-gas for improved ridability, running smoothness and special functions.

ÔÇó Innovative exhaust gas system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum performance characteristics and an earthy boxer sound.

ÔÇó Freely selectable riding modes ÔÇ£RainÔÇØ, ÔÇ£RoadÔÇØ, ÔÇ£DynamicÔÇØ, ÔÇ£EnduroÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Enduro ProÔÇØ with three different electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road riding as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works).

ÔÇó New suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame.

ÔÇó Optimised lightweight cardan shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.

ÔÇó Newly developed and optimised Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear for an even more precise ride feel.

ÔÇó Refined master chassis geometry data and long swingarm for excellent traction.

ÔÇó Optimised seating width and position, and adjustable handlebars for even greater comfort.

ÔÇó Optimised ground reach for rider (inner leg length).

ÔÇó Tyre/wheel dimensions of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear as a world first, tailored specially to the R 1200 GS.

ÔÇó Revised BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with enlarged brake disc at rear (?ÿ 276mm, previously 265mm).

ÔÇó BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.

ÔÇó Semiactive suspension Dynamic ESA (ex works option).

ÔÇó Main headlight with optimised light efficiency and LED daytime running light (ex works option).

ÔÇó WorldÔÇÖs first motorcycle with LED main headlight featuring integrated daytime running light (ex works option).

ÔÇó New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.

ÔÇó Extended electric switch units.

ÔÇó Electronic cruise control (ex works option).

ÔÇó Preparation for navigation unit with Multi-Controller to operate the
BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (ex works option).

ÔÇó Windshield with one-hand operation for excellent wind and weather protection.

ÔÇó Seat with multiple adjustment functions for perfect ergonomics.

ÔÇó Number plate carriers quick to dismount for off-road riding.

ÔÇó Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm)

ÔÇó New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer as an option.

ÔÇó Four main paint finishes to choose from:

Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic

I especially like the position of the airbox. This bike should do much deeper water crossings.

Ian

I like it.

I didn't see the weight posted. Lighter? Heavier?

I was hoping for more than a gain of 15HP though.

Cruise control !!!!

Am I insane or are these of the old motors? The pics came in the new R12GS press package....

P90104683highRes-L.jpg

P90104696highRes-L.jpg

P90104705highRes-L.jpg

P90104706highRes-L.jpg

Yes you are, and yes they do look like the old motor pics. I have had trouble with my download file so can't comment further...on the pics at least.
:evil

Looks like the clutch is on the front of the motor. Interesting! Or I am a complete idiot :dunno

The clutch is beneath the motor, as is a portion of the gearbox. It appears as if you can access the clutch from behind the motor's front cover.

I bet this engine is significantly more compact than its predecessors.

I wonder what the wet clutch will add to the tractability of the GS?

Ian

Looks like the clutch is on the front of the motor. Interesting! Or I am a complete idiot :dunno
Not an idiot -- the front is a great place to put it -- easy access to service the clutch without having to tear the engine/tranny case apart. Saves axial length in the tranny region, too.

Another interesting feature is the alternator mounted directly on the rear of the crankshaft -- lots of advantages to that, too, but getting to it for service looks like as bad a job as getting to an oilhead fuel rail or throttle junction box.

Not just a wet head, but a wet clutch too. No more seperate gearbox for the boxers. The water cooling appears to be used just for the heads, specifically the area around the valves, hence the remaining cooling fins on the cylinders.

This engine is revolution not evolution. It will be interesting to see the real world ride reports and some long term data on them. :lurk

Back