Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New 2013 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    What is the seat height?

Are they still building the GS for people with 36 inch inseams or can those of us who are vertically challenged with 28 inch inseams be accommodated with a low seat that will enable us to flat foot a BMW bike?

Bill
    New GS:

Seat height, unladen weight 850 / 870 mm (low seat* 820 / 840 mm, lowered suspension* 790 / 810 mm) *OE

Inner leg curve, unladen weight 1870 / 1910 mm (low seat* 1820/1860 mm, lowered suspension* 1770 / 1810 mm) *OE

Old GS:

Seat height, unladen weight 33.5/34.3 inches (850/870 mm) low seat: 32.3 inches
    (820 mm), lowered suspension: 31.1 inches (790 mm)

Inner leg curve, unladen weight (none given)

So, same height, but given the "thinness" comments, it may be a shorter inner leg curve.

FWIW, BMW is certainly starting to pay attention to the seat height comments -- the K16 seat is a lot lower/shorter inner leg curve than the previous K12LT or R12RT.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Ergonomics can be a weird issue on an individual level, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, meaning that I'm a bit long-waisted and therefore have lumbar support issues. The GS was the only model on which I could get my knees low enough to get my lumbar into a tolerably comfy range of positioning for long rides, and even then I wasn't truly happy until I lowered my '07 GS's pegs by about 1". I wonder how comfy I'd find this new GS, given the similarity in some of the numbers but also those key diferences. Can't wait to throw a leg over and find out.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Ergonomics can be a weird issue on an individual level, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, meaning that I'm a bit long-waisted and therefore have lumbar support issues. The GS was the only model on which I could get my knees low enough to get my lumbar into a tolerably comfy range of positioning for long rides, and even then I wasn't truly happy until I lowered my '07 GS's pegs by about 1". I wonder how comfy I'd find this new GS, given the similarity in some of the numbers but also those key diferences. Can't wait to throw a leg over and find out.
    I am 6'5, 34" and I know what you mean...I ride a RT and I should have gotten the GSA. For me, it's pain in the pelvic and tail bones, and the lip from the pillion is aggravating too. I'll definitely try the new wasser boxer and see if it's an improvement.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I just don't understand the constant comments about seats and heights.
    No such thing as a perfect combo for everybody.
    Now if you really want the bike (which ever model or brand it is), you will modify it to suit you anyway (If required).
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
    I just don't understand the constant comments about seats and heights.
    No such thing as a perfect combo for everybody.
    Now if you really want the bike (which ever model or brand it is), you will modify it to suit you anyway (If required).
    Exactly, at least within what is reasonably possible. I not only lowered the pegs; I also had a seat built to suit my particular needs. With these two modifications it was finally about as right as could be reasonably expected, and I was happy. The bike is gone now but I kept the seat in case I get another 1200GS.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad