• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT or GS

S

striders

I've spent the last three years putting a basket case 1974 R90s on the road (my initial retirement project). I wanted to use that for a cross country trip but after riding my project bike, I wouldn't last one day let alone a month trip. So, I'm looking for another bike. I'm thinking of a used r120rt or a r1200gs. I don't have any dirt bike experience but like the idea of being able to take a gravel or dirt road if I feel like it. I don't want to start a rt/gs war but would like to hear some ideas and pros or cons on either machine.

Thanks in advance

>>I don't want to start a rt/gs war but would like to hear some ideas and pros or cons on either machine. <<

Well can't drag me into the war......cuz I'll suggest an "R" naked Roadster.
You can outfit, accessorize , farkle it, as you choose , and adjust the riding position in a broad manner.

I'm sure others will disagree, & that's to be expected , but that's my 2cents.

NoW!,,,that said, I just bought my first KLT :whistle, for the same reason.....long trips,...because somedays my Roadster 'gets' too me! No matter how much I LUV it..;)

BTW, I'm , 63, 6'1" 275. and have some arthritis

If I were going on a month long trip, I would get the RT for one simple reason. Most of them have cruise control. My CLC has it and I wouldn't be without it on a long trip. The wind and weather protection is also far better.

Move to "Hexheads"?

Both bikes mentioned in the original post are hexheads, right?

But since this is in the Oilhead section, I say "RS".

(Yeah, I know, that wasn't one of the original choices, but I'm biased!)

And, for the record, I'm 6'2", maybe 260 with a 34+ inch inseam and somewhat arthritic knees. I've sat on both an R1150GS and an R1200GS, as well as an R1150RT and a R1200RT. They're all pretty comfy to me, at least to sit on. I would guess anyone would be stretched out more on the GS, but whatever you ride, it has to fit your style. What I'm saying is, if you can't be comfortable handling a bike like the GS, then maybe an RT would be more to your liking.

Month long back roads=GS
Month long slab ride=RT (and if it were me some cyanide to swallow after the first week)

I hope I'm doing this correctly buy using the "reply to thread". Ergonomincs are important. I'm 66, 67 when I plan this trip, 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I want something comfortable. I was thinking the more uprite sitting on the gs would be better.

I hope I'm doing this correctly buy using the "reply to thread". Ergonomincs are important. I'm 66, 67 when I plan this trip, 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I want something comfortable. I was thinking the more uprite sitting on the gs would be better.

I'm 5'7 and on a good day 5'8 with a 29" inseam. I ride a 2003 R1150R. I don't go off road and just rode it from the Mississippi Coast to Key West most of which was I-10 and I-75, until just below Ft Myers where I got on 41 across the Glades to 1. The bike did very well, In was pretty comfortable and about the only change I would make would be a taller screen. I have a Sargeant seat on it. I think a RT would be a better choice for the Interstate, but in town they are not my choice.
I'll be heading back home Thursday so I'll have another 1000+ miles to consider this.

Both are very capable bikes and will go cross country well. IMHO, the two major considerations are fit and payload. For me, the RTs are just a bit too cramped in the hips and knees resulting in my foot position being a tad bit off. The RT also limits my ability to adjust my butt position. My RT-P, with a radio box instead of a rear seat contributes to this, I know. But sitting on a full blown RT, I get the same thing. The GS (mine is an ADV) allows me to stretch out more and eliminates the cramped position. The RT is a heavier bike than the GS or the GSA but can carry more payload than either. This might be something to think about if you camp and/or will be doing a lot of 2-up riding.

IMHO, the right thing to do is to test ride them both and get the one that fits you the best. If they both fit, then and only then, consider payload. If they both meet these criteria, get the one you think looks the coolest.

I fight this same decision making process over and over again. I have a new RT that I really enjoy and a 2010 F650GS that I have for sale. If I sell it, I am sure going to be tempted to buy a GS. The truth is though, as I suspect is also true for many GS owners, 98% of the roads I ride are handled just fine by the RT. I'm kind of getting into LD riding and thinking about a couple of rallies. Maybe I need a GS to get to some of the bonus locations. Nah, those guys on the big Gold Wings seem to do ok. The enternal question we will never answer, RT or GS?

I am 65 and am about the same height and also have a 29" inseam. I have a friend with a R1200RT as well as a friend with a R1200GS. They also have a 29" inseam. The darn bikes are very tall and top heavy for us. The friend with the RT has dropped his many times and is looking at something lower. The friend with the GS has many more years of experience (he is 77) and has not dropped his GS. However, it is the low seat and low suspension model.

I can handle my R80RT OK with my short inseam and I elected to get a R1200CLC so I could reach the ground. Other than the C bikes, the only other bike I feel is low enough for me that I have sat on (but didn't ride) is the K1600GTL.

If you do get a RT or GS, I think you should only consider those with both a low seat and low suspension.

The height is a concern. I didn't realize that the rt had such a hight seat. I've been perusing the want ads and haven't seen any used bikes with low suspension and new ones are quite expensive. I've also heard that the stock low seat on a gs is pure torture. Does anyone make a comfortable low seat for either bike?

I think you are correct in asking for opinions and experiences, but everyone is different- size, weight-age-health-strength-knees so take our advice but you need to try out each bike and research the after-market seats. Some dealers will have a low suspension and/or low seat option on the showroom floor. Call around to your nearby dealer(s) and ask. Even if they have a used model, you'll at least get the feel of the size and weight/balance.

You can't beat the RT for cross-country comfort but you'll be challenged to say the least if you want to take it on a gravel road. The GS won't have the wind protection of the RT, nor other comfort farkles like cruise control or audio system, and many people complain that the GS is too tall.

To me, the stock RT seat was torture and I bought a Sargent. That solved not only the comfort issue, but allows me to move around more in the seat as I get tired or just to move around for comfort.

Last edited:
Is the sargent seat lower?

I think the one I got actually feels a bit higher, as I now sit back on my rear cheeks rather than feeling like I'm straddling the narrower stock seat between my legs. I believe all the seat makers offer a low version. Some will build a seat to your requirements. Look up Sargent, Corbin, Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russell, etc.

You haven't said much on how you plan to use it. You mentioned a cross country trip, but are you planning on spending 90-95% on asphalt or a 50/50 split between asphalt and dirt. To me, that would be very important information.

Haven't picked a route yet but I imagine that it will be 95% hard roads. If I see a dirt road that looks interesting I'd like to feel comfortable taking it.

I've got a 2002 RTP and a 2012 GSA. The RTP has bar-backs, the GSA has the stock riding position.

The GSA riding position is more "aggressive" than the RT riding position. I'm more forward in the seat on the GSA, and I'm leaning over the tank a bit more than I am on the RT. I've done 500 mile days on both, and both have been plenty comfortable over long rides. One is a half-dozen, the other is six.

The RT will undoubtedly have superior weather protection. The adjustable windscreen sure is nice when the rain is pouring or the air is oppressively hot or freezing cold. Fairings are larger and you'll stay dryer, longer, on the RT.

Don't think you can't ride a RT on dirt and gravel roads. My RT has seen plenty of forest roads, and has been plenty muddy after a ride off the pavement.

I'm really impressed with the GSA, but that's primarily because she's still brand-new to me, and she is a much more refined and powerful machine than the 10-year old RT. The twin-cam Hexhead engine in the GSA is powerful, and it emits a lovely sound through the stock muffler.

Before I purchased the GSA, I was considering a 2012 RT (I needed to add a two-seater). It finally came down to what I was going to use the new bike for, which in my case is primarily moto-camping. The GSA makes much more sense than a RT for hauling gear. It hauls more of it, and it doesn't mind getting dirty or scratched while loading/unloading/hauling it. It is a far more utilitarian machine than the RT. If I were planning on riding from hotel to hotel, I might have gone with a new RT. Since I'm tenting it (often off-road), the GSA seemed to be the right choice - and I don't have any regrets over my decision.

I don't know. I'm going to the bmw dealer next week to sit on both machines. Maybe that will convince me one way or another.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Back