• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Chicago to Boston

elgin mary

I'm trying to plan a trip from suburban Chicago to suburban Boston. I like taking two lane roads over the interstate but don't want to be wandering just to find scenic routes. I looked at the map and plotted a way across Indiana and Ohio on US 6 but not sure how to go through Pennsylvania and New York. I would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks.

I would take Rt. 30 from Valaparaiso to Canton OH. then take Rt 62 into Allegheny National Forest and then take Rt 6 across PA into NY.
Trying to get across Cleveland will be miserable on rt 6.
Rt 30 is a mix of two lane and 4 lane limited access.
Rt 62 is mostly 2 lane.
The Cannonball that was just run from NY to Cali came across northern PA on Rt. 6.

US 6 isn't bad across Pennsylvania, but I did it on a Sunday. It will take you to Provincetown if you stay on it and there are some decent sections in RI and CT and MA, but I've only done bits of it.

PA turnpk

FWIW I caged thru PA last year and the PA Turnpike is waaay not like the slab here in IL. Kinda pretty, kinda hilly/curve-y, and fast.

PA Turnpike is a major pain now. Construction from one end to the other plus they have raised the rates a bunch. It will cost you about $100 each way.
Jeff

what about heading to Detroit, go thru Ontario to Buffalo, then find some nice roads thru the Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks, and then into the Berkshires?

PA Turnpike is a major pain now. Construction from one end to the other plus they have raised the rates a bunch. It will cost you about $100 each way.
Jeff

holy crap. after I'd thought about my post re the PA turnpike, i realized that what i MEANT was that if the slab is that curvy/twisty/hilly/fast, the two lanes nearby (w/o actually having driven them) must be awesome.

Curious about the northern route bikerfish suggested .. Seems like the ontario part could be more relaxed than Rt 6, you'd hit Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Adirondack Park, and either fly straight in on the Mass Pike after Albany, or stay a bit north from the Adirondacks and go through Vermont and down from there. Google map puts that route at only about 2 hours longer than through Pa. I've done only the eastern half of that--Buffalo to Boston, and if you stay off the slab it's a nice ride. I'd avoid the NYState throughway if possible, but. . can someone comment on the ride through Ontario?

haven't been thru there in a few decades, but as i recall it's fairly flat, farms and light woodlands, small towns, etc. Pleasant enough, but nothing real special. kind of similar to the same region south of the border, but a bit less congested, eh? but it does set you up nicely for a pretty run thru upstate NY (much of which is similar to the PA/NY region to the south, but also less congested/developed). depending upon time, there are some nice places to visit in the Finger Lakes region (numerous wineries, Watkins Glen race track, Ausable Chasms, etc.). And most any road thru Adirondack Park will be pretty sweet.

New York Route 20 or Route 5 are both great East-West roads for Motorcycles. The best part is, if you have to make up time, you can always jump onto the nearby NYS Thruway. From there, Massachusetts or Vermont await, both with nice roads.

haven't been thru there in a few decades, but as i recall it's fairly flat, farms and light woodlands, small towns, etc. Pleasant enough, but nothing real special. kind of similar to the same region south of the border, but a bit less congested, eh? but it does set you up nicely for a pretty run thru upstate NY (much of which is similar to the PA/NY region to the south, but also less congested/developed). depending upon time, there are some nice places to visit in the Finger Lakes region (numerous wineries, Watkins Glen race track, Ausable Chasms, etc.). And most any road thru Adirondack Park will be pretty sweet.

Having once lived in Ontario, I concur. Just one course correction - Ausable Chasm is in upstate New York which may or may not be part of your route planning. If it IS in your plan, Route 3 from Watertown through Lake Placid and Ausable Chasm is fun and, at this time of year, beautiful - if not a bit chilly.

Have a great trip.

The trip

Thank you all for your great suggestions and help. My trip has been postponed for a bit but I'm still planning to ride that way. Good idea about going through Canada. I did that some time ago in the car and it seemed to be a nice trip if not terribly exciting. Makes me go and renew my passport.

Back