• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

prices: new Jeep Wrangler vs new GS Adventure in USA

LuckyGrownup

It just occurred to me that a Jeep Wrangler is almost cheaper than a BMW GS. The list price on a Jeep Wrangler is 21K. The list price on BMW GS Adventure about the same. I know that a GS is much more fun. But, when did motorcycles start becoming as expensive as cars in the USA ?

Even Harley is expensive. But, the Chinese manufactured Japanese bikes are still pretty cheap.

Why does BMW charge so much for the BMW GS Adventure; Aren't all the parts made in China ? :scratch

Priced a H-D lately? My first two houses were cheaper! My 1976 SuperGlide seemed outrageous then at $1900! My 2005 was more than that Wrangler. And a lot of parts are made in China/Japan ( starters, forks & shocks...)
:whistle
Last new Jeep I bought was an '81 model for 10K...no deals, if you wanted one back then...10K ...typical supply & demand. Same goes for today it seems.

And which big name Japanese bike is manufactured in China? Have seen TV shows touring the big boys massive plants...In Japan.

The 650 Rotax single engine was being outsourced to China I read...don't think the Adventure or the parallel twins are out of the Fatherland. :dunno

And the Euro/Dollar exchange rate has a lot to do with prices...but that gets in to politics...I'll stop.

In comparison to the BMW, the Jeep is designed and manufactured by blacksmiths.

Quite possibly the worst vehicle offered for sale in the USA. Seems overpriced to me.

Life's all about choices, right?

Which would you rather spend your money on, a new GS or a new Jeep? Which one melts your cheese more?

Quite possibly the worst vehicle offered for sale in the USA. Seems overpriced to me.

Although this has never happened before, I completely agree with lkchris.

All bikes have gone up 20% or so over the last few years. Now there have been some jumps in technology and some catastrophic events as well but lets face it the dollar has quickly gone down in value and cost of materials/manufacturing up. Finally consider that this is the natural course of our shareholder driven capitalism, profits must go up.

Yeah I was in one of my local BMW showrooms a few days ago looking at GSes and I was HURT by the sticker shock! The dollar may be weak, but the Euro isn't doing as well these days either.

Reminds me of a joke in Car & Driver many years ago about Porsche prices...I'll paraphrase here...January: Deutschmark strengthens against Dollar; Stuttgart announces price increases. September: Dollar rallies against Deutschmark; Stuttgart announces price increases.

You must have never experienced a Ural. If blacksmiths make the Jeep, Urals are made by bronze age cavemen. And Vodka. Actually, not a bad combination. I hop on the Ural rather than the beemer 9 out of 10 times :laugh

Last edited:
You must have never experienced a Ural. If blacksmiths make the Jeep, Urals are made by bronze age cavemen. And Vodka. Actually, not a bad combination. I hop on the Ural rather than the beemer 9 out of 10 times :laugh

Experience only in looking them over.

When I was growing up my Dad was a dealer for farm equipment and trucks. I've seen all the old iron I want to see and am nostalgic for nothing that's old. I attended my first SEMA show last year and now know why the USA is in decline.

Just one example ... an inch thick catalog from GM listing countless permutations of small block and big block V8 engines available for hot rodders.

These are boat anchors at best and 1950s technology at worst.

Nothing about these engines is anything to be proud of. Maybe in 1955 but not in the 21st century.

Used to own a Range Rover and that company used to brag about their box-section frames. Reality is they didn't have the industrial capacity to make U-channel and rather just had welders welding thin, flat steel into truck frames. My Range Rover was the only vehicle I ever saw that could rust in New Mexico. When BMW bought them, they went unibody as soon as feasible. Jeep? Still separate frames, just like Studebaker's wagons.

One impressive thing at SEMA, however, was a complete Akrapovic exhaust system for Corvette hanging from the rafters.

Just one example ... an inch thick catalog from GM listing countless permutations of small block and big block V8 engines available for hot rodders.

These are boat anchors at best and 1950s technology at worst.

Nothing about these engines is anything to be proud of. Maybe in 1955 but not in the 21st century.

Used to own a Range Rover and that company used to brag about their box-section frames. Reality is they didn't have the industrial capacity to make U-channel and rather just had welders welding thin, flat steel into truck frames. My Range Rover was the only vehicle I ever saw that could rust in New Mexico. When BMW bought them, they went unibody as soon as feasible. Jeep? Still separate frames, just like Studebaker's wagons.

One impressive thing at SEMA, however, was a complete Akrapovic exhaust system for Corvette hanging from the rafters.

From Wall Street to the MBA programs, the manufacturing sector was abandoned in the 1980's as the land of the half-wit. High tech, Healthcare and Finance were our only interests. As such, today, you can hardly find a skilled trades person, but plenty of engineers, accountants and managers. Oh, and Apple relies on Foxconn to design and build their products.

Those that do.......are the ones that can.

From Wall Street to the MBA programs, the manufacturing sector was abandoned in the 1980's as the land of the half-wit. High tech, Healthcare and Finance were our only interests. As such, today, you can hardly find a skilled trades person, but plenty of engineers, accountants and managers. Oh, and Apple relies on Foxconn to design and build their products.

Those that do.......are the ones that can.

And when you can actually find a skilled tradesman, all of the engineers, accountants, and managers love to tell him he costs too much. Crappy hours, conditions, and pay for a position where you are expected to be highly skilled, professional, and productive. And everyone wonders why you cannot find a good hand........... :doh

Forgetting the Corvair, are we? :laugh:laugh

Donno know about that. I have an '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and along with the fact it's never had to go back to the dealer, it has been the best 4 wheel drive that I have owned and I've had a lot of 4X4 vehicles.
My F800 has been back for repairs/recalls many times- (no complaints as the warranty and recalls were well handled) OM

And when you can actually find a skilled tradesman, all of the engineers, accountants, and managers love to tell him he costs too much. Crappy hours, conditions, and pay for a position where you are expected to be highly skilled, professional, and productive. And everyone wonders why you cannot find a good hand........... :doh

No argument from me...........I watched it all happen.

BTW - I''m an engineer

Forgetting the Corvair, are we? :laugh:laugh

I had 7 Corvairs. Thanks to Mr Nader and mechanics would refused to work on something different, they were a good buy. They were also a good car that outperformed the Valiants, Lancers, Darts, Falcons, Comets and other cars in their segment. I as one of the few people in the county who understood and liked to work on them. The 4 speeds would float their valves at 92 MPG in third gear.

It just occurred to me that a Jeep Wrangler is almost cheaper than a BMW GS. The list price on a Jeep Wrangler is 21K. The list price on BMW GS Adventure about the same. I know that a GS is much more fun. But, when did motorcycles start becoming as expensive as cars in the USA ?

Even Harley is expensive. But, the Chinese manufactured Japanese bikes are still pretty cheap.

Why does BMW charge so much for the BMW GS Adventure; Aren't all the parts made in China ? :scratch

Depends on what you compare a BMW to.

BMW's archive lists the price of a R32 as 2200RM or according to two conversion sites about $525. A Model A in the 20's was about $240 in 1925 while a Cadillac touring car was about $3,185

H-D is a nice profit driven US company that has found a way to balance production/demand to make a buck. Which Japanese bikes? Priced a Goldwing?

BMW is a nice profit driven German company that has found a way to balance production/demand to make a Euro. No, only some parts are made in China. Which and how many depends on the model.

That bit of historical fun, the rest and a buck will get you a cup of coffee, a bit of change and a very strange look at the Fly-Over-Land coffee shop.
:laugh

Back