• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reasonably Priced Beer!

rockers

I've been dissapointed at the last few rallies! It seems like the price of Beer keeps going up and serving size goes down. This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour). Can't the MOA do better than that? Beer sales should benefit the membership at these "Hot" rallies and not be a big profit for the club!...especially with the endless supply of "Wooden Nickels" that benefit only the worthy. Was at the "RA Rally a couple years ago. They had a private charity organization sell and serve the Beer (no volunteers needed) for a 22 ounce mug at $2.50!

Craft Beer price

I thought 3 dollars was a good deal. I think one of the lighter craft beers was only 1 ticket. I was all over that deal. Being a home brewer I understand what goes into making a quality beer.

Ken Denton:drink

This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour). !

Most people used the rally mug and I think it was 20 oz.
I was thakfull I did not have to gear up in that heat and ride off the grounds in search of beer.

Wooden nickels

Those wooden nickels were given out to volunteers. I know the guys who worked 4 hour shifts with us in the sign placement office got one. I call that a great bargain for the organization. I had two people give me their tokens because they did not drink. I will not mention how much money I spent in addition to my tokens.

rally beer prices

There was a grocery store with a good beer selection right across the street from the rally grounds. Nothing to stop you from going there if you didn't like the prices or selection.

This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour).

Um, you said it was good, be glad it was good.
I guess you're not a 'glass half full' type of guy are you? Pun intended.

The last rally (not MOA, but a BMW Rally) I was at it was $4.00 for a micro brew..I said no thanks..they said it was very good beer....no difference to me. It's insane markup for beer and even soft drinks at some events.

I'll go to the store for good beer instead.

Been to a professional sporting event lately? :violin

I've worked part-time for a large vendor for the past 14 years, I do not sell beer, I supervise the bartenders and beer sellers and monitor the customers to make sure everyone is behaving responsibly... and I know they pay 50 cents for that beer they then sell for $8.50 to $10. And at each NFL game at my stadium they sell 100,000 beers. And they still cry they don't make much profit at games! And don't get me started on the $4.00 bottle of water or $10 cotton candy.....

So, a fresh $3 micro-brew is a good deal, IMO, as opposed to the $8.50 or sometimes $10 stored in a warm warehouse Coors Light that's served at my stadium. And if there was a profit involved it went to the MOA! Which benefits all the rally goes and all of us members!

Last edited:
I would like to wade into this fray, if I might.

Just measured the Howlin at the Moon rally cup. It is 18 ounces to the rim. Randy and I have always made it a point to ask all volunteers to 'fill it up", no foam. We encourage rally mugs to cut down on waste, and thus, the incentive to the rally-goer is built in.
I believe that this is the 3rd year that we have gone to the $1.50 / ticket pricing.
Possibly Johnson City also, not sure.
Please consider what has happened to all costs of manufacturing in the last 4 years.
Coors Lite, and Miller Lite are a bargain at $1.50
We made a conscious decision to have the Pilsner micro-brew at $1.50 as a quality, low cost alternative.
Porter/Stout is the most expensive to brew, and thus to us. Yet again, consider 16-18 ounces of micro-brew for $3.00. Been to a ski area lately?
Sure, the "private charity organization' sold beer cheaply. They also had NO OTHER OVERHEAD to cover. I doubt that the OUTLAWS played pro bono publico!
So, please consider the profit as the "benefit" to the membership that you wish. Otherwise, maybe beer at cost, and t-shirts at cost, and rally tickets at $75 to cover costs like a bike give-away as a prize. All I'm saying is that there are always trade-offs.
Lastly, there is NOT an endless supply of "wooden nickles", especially not to the "worthy". I can guarantee that there is NOT a line of the BOD, ambassadors, vendors, and other cognescenti getting free beer.
One more point, been out to eat in a restaurant lately? Way different from a year ago.
Thank you for letting me present a different viewpoint, and reading it with an open mind.

MAD DOG
National Rally Beer Chair:drink

Quality counts

I would like to thank Mad Dog and everyone involved in the selection of the beer and the fast, courteous, FULL pours that we enjoyed.

I am betting that "charity" beer vendor came in with the cheap crap...Bud light is NOT real beer. At $2.50/cup, they were likely making more profit than was made at BMWMOA.

The premium draws I drank at Sedalia [and I drank a lot] were VERY good.

Perhaps we should start serving wine at the rally so it could match up with the whine.

Does anybody remember Redmond the last time? Granted there was good beer, but it was pricier than what is the norm for our rallies. And to think we got a break on the price because our volunteers were serving. That is one of the primary reasons that we have volunteer servers, to help keep the cost to the customer down. One other item that is being overlooked is that more possible venues are contracted with their "providers". So I can see it coming where we will not be in charge of the biergarten anymore, and you'll pay what "they" charge or find it elsewhere. Or go without.

Kinda makes one wonder why folks go to the rally in the first place.

Cheap Beer

I almost always go to a place that has beer for around $3-4. I like craft or imported style beers and figured it I get 2 $3-4.00. If it is $1 or 2, I might drink too many and it would be something like Bud Light or Coors (which suck IMO). Give me a Flat Tire or some good craft beer. No one needs more then 2 beers on a MC.

I am always amazed that some one riding on a near $20000 bike, wearing $700 dollar outfit, paying $4.00 for gas wants good cold $.50 beer. I want gas at $1.00 a gallon, roads smooth and clean, a good place to rest, and good fair priced for a couple of beers.

I would like to wade into this fray, if I might.

Just measured the Howlin at the Moon rally cup. It is 18 ounces to the rim. Randy and I have always made it a point to ask all volunteers to 'fill it up", no foam. We encourage rally mugs to cut down on waste, and thus, the incentive to the rally-goer is built in.
I believe that this is the 3rd year that we have gone to the $1.50 / ticket pricing.
Possibly Johnson City also, not sure.
Please consider what has happened to all costs of manufacturing in the last 4 years.
Coors Lite, and Miller Lite are a bargain at $1.50
We made a conscious decision to have the Pilsner micro-brew at $1.50 as a quality, low cost alternative.
Porter/Stout is the most expensive to brew, and thus to us. Yet again, consider 16-18 ounces of micro-brew for $3.00. Been to a ski area lately?
Sure, the "private charity organization' sold beer cheaply. They also had NO OTHER OVERHEAD to cover. I doubt that the OUTLAWS played pro bono publico!
So, please consider the profit as the "benefit" to the membership that you wish. Otherwise, maybe beer at cost, and t-shirts at cost, and rally tickets at $75 to cover costs like a bike give-away as a prize. All I'm saying is that there are always trade-offs.
Lastly, there is NOT an endless supply of "wooden nickles", especially not to the "worthy". I can guarantee that there is NOT a line of the BOD, ambassadors, vendors, and other cognescenti getting free beer.
One more point, been out to eat in a restaurant lately? Way different from a year ago.
Thank you for letting me present a different viewpoint, and reading it with an open mind.

MAD DOG
National Rally Beer Chair:drink

Thanks!

I went a Gateway Grizzlies game this summer and a 12oz bud light was $5!

Thanks to your leadership and a lot of other volunteers, we get to enjoy a beer or two w/o having to leave the rally grounds. Well done. :thumb

ahem.... if the cost is too much for the amount you receive, you could always forgo drinking beer....

:bolt :hide

How Many????

I've only been to one national and that was Johnson City and only for one day being this was part of a continuing trip but we stopped in the beer tent and consumed two beers and then moved on to see the rest of the sites.
My question is; how may beers does the average rally goer drink a day to make a reasonable priced beer such a contentious issue and if it is so many that it is a make or brake deal for going to the rally or not then maybe you need to take a serious look at your daily consumption. GET HELP!!:whistle

Back