• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need a pair of K75S Bar-End Weights

detbmw

I have searched the forum, and couldn't find this question asked & answered.

I bought a '88 K75S a month ago, and since then it has been on a buddy's lift, slowly but surely getting things replaced and repaired. One issue is that there are no bar-end weights on the handlebar.

Should I just go with the OEM bar-end weights, or get Throttle Meisters, or some other brand? Does anyone have experience replacing the bar-end weights with an aftermarket version? And before someone suggests it, I don't want bar-end mirrors.

Backstory:
It looks like the bike has been dropped on the left side. Some of the fairing is cracked on the underside, and some of the fairing has obviously been repainted - the screws are painted over. At least the paint is in very good condition.

Besides the missing bar-end weights, the end of the plastic coating on the left end has been cut. I'm guessing someone removed the mangled portion. We took apart the throttle grip this last weekend because the throttle would not return to the idle position on it's own; turned out there was rust underneath on the handlebar - probably because there were no bar ends. I joked that we probably should not have removed the rust and lubed everything, I sort of had a poor-man's cruise control.

Thanks,

I would go with OEM weights. There is a threaded hole for a thumbscrew type throttle friction screw on the underside of the right control assembly - it might be visible, might have a screw in it already, or might have a small plastic plug inserted in it. Get the friction screw. This setup works far better than any bar-end device because the tension doesn't change with temperature changes.

Post a picture of the end of the bars. I might have a spare set of OEM weights that will fit.

:jawdrop

I never thought I'd say this, but Paul you've been away from K75Ss too long! :stick

The OP was looking for barend WEIGHTS for his K75S!

Rich, the purpose of barend WEIGHTS is to dampen the VIBRATIONS of the engine that are transmitted to the handlebars.

BMW never put barend weights on K75Ss for two reasons. The bars are very short so they don't pickup much vibration and the K75 is one of the SMOOTHEST MOTORCYCLE ENGINES KNOWN TO MAN!!! Putting barend weights on a K75S is kind of like putting wheelie bars on a stock VW bug, they'll fit, but the will serve absolutely no purpose.

These are the stock CLOSED end grips for a K75S (heated grips are about $200):

32 72 1 237 811 HANDLE LEFT $9.32

32 72 1 237 812 HANDLE RIGHT $12.59

Now a throttle lock is a different thing. The factory friction screw is by far the best solution.

32 72 1 454 414 LOCKING BOLT (friction screw) $9.65

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
The throttle lock screw is there.

I said bar-end weights (that's what I have on my oilhead), but what I really meant was, what is the best solution for plugging the gaping hole on either end of the bar?

Paul,

I will try and get a picture to you today or tomorrow (the bike is not at my house).

Again, the BEST way of plugging the hole is to put undamaged CLOSED END stock grips on. I gave you the part#s and list price.

Here is the left handlebar. I think the hand grip has been pushed in some
k75shandleleft_cropped_zps5fe40029.jpg

And here is the right.
k75shandleright_cropped_zpsc2e951b5.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Not K75 grips. So you could try something that is not from a K75, like maybe R1100RT barends.:dunno But then there is nothing inside the K75 bar to bolt the weights to. Are you good with a welder?:stick

Those look like the grips that I used to have on my R60. When new, they come with a small plastic cap for each end of the handle bars.

98lee is correct (once again), they are not stock for your K75. However, they are K bike grips. They are the OEM grips for a K1.

If you decide to replace them and can get them off without messing them up, I would be interested in having them for my K75.

Bar End Caps

If you can't find something from another BMW model , perhaps Home Depot or someplace online would have some type of black plastic insert caps that could be made to fit ?

Not K75 grips. So you could try something that is not from a K75, like maybe R1100RT barends.:dunno But then there is nothing inside the K75 bar to bolt the weights to. Are you good with a welder?:stick

The original K bike bars had no welded fitting inside them. They came with an insert bar-end weight.. which uses an O ring (that is expanded when the weight is tightened up..) The idea was to decouple the weight a bit from the bar to provide some tuned damping effect. Had these on my '85 K100RT.

Since those don't look like stock S bars - I'm going to guess these might be bars off another K model that used the expanding plug bar-end.

The original K bike bars .........They came with an insert bar-end weight..

That would be the K100, not the K75.

Since those don't look like stock S bars - I'm going to guess these might be bars off another K model that used the expanding plug bar-end.

Since the picture shows none of the bar other than the ID past the plastic insert in the end of the grip, what is your clue that these are not S or even K75 bars?:scratch

........... what is the best solution for plugging the gaping hole on either end of the bar?

This may help Caplug is a major supplier for this kinda thing. They frequently come on the end of hydraulic hoses when I order them- to keep them clean during transit. OM

As OmegaMan suggested - thinking outside the box sometimes helps. On THE K75S, I put on the same grips (never liked the square ones..) and found that plastic caps used to protect the threads on some Hoke hydraulic fittings were a perfect fit for the center of the grip (and a perfect match to the blue pinstriping on the bike.)

You can just about see them in this photo:

c_bars.gif

BTW - companies like Caplug will usually give you "engineering samples" for free if asked nicely. They normally deal in quantities of thousands, not two. Ask nicely and bet'cha it won't cost a thing.

Last edited:
That would be the K100, not the K75.
Indeed, but they'd still fit just fine. Bar diameter is the same.
98lee said:
Since the picture shows none of the bar other than the ID past the plastic insert in the end of the grip, what is your clue that these are not S or even K75 bars?:scratch

Just a guess.. looking at the top photo it's hard to say if the right grip assembly is up against the center pad or not, so it's a WAG. Doesn't matter - the bars are still the same diameter if they're BMW bars.

Do you think I could pull the two hand grips off and replace them with the stock closed-end grips you listed?

You should not have any problems doing that. I slid an ice pick in under my grips to break any seal there was between the grip and the bar to help it come off. Those grips
give some so you will have to work at it. It will take you a while to do. Just take your time.

If you get sick of trying, you can cut them off with a razor blade if they are not heated grips.

Like I said before, I am interested in the grips if you can save them. Just let me know what you want for them.

Like I said before, I am interested in the grips if you can save them. Just let me know what you want for them.

I have ordered a set of the stock grips that Lee suggested from Bob's. I will try to get these off undamaged. I'll traveling on business (on my RT:)) so it might be a week or two before I can swap them out. I'll let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

I have ordered a set of the stock grips that Lee suggested from Bob's. I will try to get these off undamaged. I'll traveling on business (on my RT:)) so it might be a week or two before I can swap them out. I'll let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Hey, if it happens great, if you have to cut 'em up, that's cool too. My grips are in super shape on my bike so it is not really a big deal. Used grips are not really worth much.
I just happen to like the K1 grip:)

I am interested in the grips if you can save them. Just let me know what you want for them.

I have replaced the grips with OEM K75S grips; the compressed air worked like a champ.

There is some slight wear on the throttle-side grip, on the end towards the center of the bar.

If you will either pm or email me ( detbmw@gmail.com ) your name and mailing address, I will send them to you. USPS shipping should be $5 or less. When you get them you can decide what they are worth and send me that much, plus shipping.

Back