• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

service by non bmw dealership?

samuelh

I'm thinking about trading my C14 for an F700gs. My schedule no longer permits me to spend the amount of time I was spending on my g650 going to the dealership 1:30 away. Does anyone get their bike serviced at a non-bmw dealership? What are the considerations for this?

I don't have the space to do any basic maintenance myself (condo garage), not to mention the skills.

Thanks
SH

Other than a couple of recall or warranty related items for my only newly purchased BMW (94 R11RS) my service work is done in a non-BMW dealership garage - usually my own.

The mechanic that generally works on my bikes sometimes makes mistakes. The mistakes are treated as a learning experience - education isn't cheap, but ignorance is very expensive! I am satisfied by this arrangement.

I try and do as much of the service on my bike as I can. I document everything that was done, including saving receipts,
I you have another shop service/work on it save those papers
US warrenty laws do not require you have dealer service bike or car

I don't have the space to do any basic maintenance myself (condo garage), not to mention the skills.

Compared to larger vehicles, motorcycles are pretty easy to work on yourself, especially with the guidance available on forums like this.

I had absolutely no motorcycle maintenance experience when I bought a used K bike one year ago and have done a bunch of work on it myself in my carport using Clymers and the web for information.

I remember how clueless and worried I was when I first started working on it, and now those tasks seem about as complicated as hanging a picture on the wall.

Jump in. Earn some confidence. Save some money.

I'm thinking about trading my C14 for an F700gs. My schedule no longer permits me to spend the amount of time I was spending on my g650 going to the dealership 1:30 away. Does anyone get their bike serviced at a non-bmw dealership? What are the considerations for this?

Thanks
SH

If your schedule didn't permit time before than from the sounds of it you are even less able to do it now and also don't have the skills or a place to learn them so you can do some of the maintenance yourself. If that's the case then you'd best stick with a bike that has a dealership nearby.

You might be able to find a BMW support group nearby that would help teach you, and you'll have to search that one out. Many on this site can give you contacts in your area if thats your wish.

Back