• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newby From Northern,BC

HowieDolt

Hello all.. I apologize if this is a bit long winded....
Just joined up and I am sooo excited to be here and becoming a member. Why did I sign up?
I have been riding bikes since I was 12, starting with a Honda 50 Minibike. Graduated to a Yamaha 175 enduro when I was 17. Got my first BMW in 1978, when I was around 20yrs old which was a R90/6. Bought used from Philip Funnel BMW in Vancouver. A name synonymous with BMW and Riding Enthusiasts. At least here in BC.

And here is the kicker! Wanna know how great the BMW community can be? When I bought that R90/6, it was 1000 miles away from me, with no real way of getting it. I still only had my learners license for a motorcycle. I just knew it was the one I wanted.
To my surprise, Philip Funnel himself, the owner of the store offered to ride the bike up here, and I would pay for expenses etc, and the flight back to vancouver. I thought he was joking!

I was flabbergasted....Unbelievable. He did just that, delivered that bike to me, a 1000 mile trip, and even took my older sister out for dinner. A true inspiration for me at the time as I was so young. I have never forgotten that and never will.

I owned that bike for 4 years, took my drivers test on that bike, and passed with flying colours. A testament to how great it handled, even for a small guy like me..5'6" and 140lbs. I added a WindJammer Fairing to it and my biggest trip with the bike was from Prince Rupert, BC to San Diego and back. 7 weeks of pure bliss. And put over 30,000 miles on in three years.

I sold it (foolish I know), and later got a Suzuki GS100EX. Had that one for about 10 yrs, riding off and on. But to tell the truth, I grew to hate it.

Then came marriage and kids, and that bike was sold. The kids are now all grown up and I have been without for a long time...but next Saturday I will once again be the proud owner of a BMW....a 2002 R1150RT.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to the community and look forward to getting back into the Beemer saddle once again.

The pic I am posting is from the current owner, but will post others once it's MINE..lol.

Thanks to all of you for the support offered to riders and the friendships that develop as a result of people willing to share and help others.

Howard

Bikes once owned:
Honda C50 Minibike ( I was 12, so I didn't really buy it)
Yamaha 175 Enduro
BMW R90/6
Suzuki GS1100EX
Konker 250 Enduro

And in one week from today..
BMW 2002 R1150RT

Attachments

• 5Nb5I85G73K53Me3Hdc97858ea3ba769818af.jpg
    5Nb5I85G73K53Me3Hdc97858ea3ba769818af.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Welcome to the club! Lots new friends to meet here. Maybe a trip to Salem OR is in the cards for the rally next summer...:bikes

Salem new summer

I will definitely be lurking around in here looking for all those ultimate places to ride.

If that was in anyway an Invite...I accept.

I'll search out the Salem Rally and see when it is. Better to start planning now and try and incorporate some other points of interest on the same trip.

Thanks

The Salem, OR Rally is July 18-21, 2013, and I am likely going. Started learning on Dad's R50/2 when I was 11, riding in parking lots when 13, and been riding ever since. I had a few Japanese bikes between 1990 when I sold the R50/2 (Dad told me not to ride in traffic any more) and now have the modern day lightweight equivalent. It is the highest HP, lightweight Hexhead and I love it!

Welcome to the club!

Hi Howard,welcome.I lived in Terrace for 3 years,1983-86,had a 650 honda then,Prince was a regular ride in those days

Now i have an 04 K1200GT and a 95 R100RT.

Enjoy being here and riding again..

Welcome Howard! What a great intro! I think you will have no problem gathering a bunch of new friends to ride with.

Welcome Howard, that is a nice looking bike. Lots to do and learn about here so jump in and enjoy yourself.

Thanks everyone. I have been on the site pretty steady since yesterday.

Perusing this site has already helped me in looking at some riding gear. Since I don't have any, and where I am from it tends to rain......a lot...I think I am going with the Aerostich Roadcrafter One Piece.

Its the "real world" reviews and recommendations found here that make any purchase perhaps a little more sound, being that others have had good/bad experiences.

Invaluable!

Especially when the purchase has something to do with safety, visibility, and overall protection. Not to mention a chunk of change.

The Salem Rally is also now on my radar and will be making every effort to attend.

Now I am on the hunt for Tank bags, and getting my iPhone hooked up and mounted somehow.

Ohhh.....maybe I better wait till I pick up the Bike.

Is my excitement showing.....wow....I feel like a little kid getting his first toy.

:brad

Tank bag?

We don't have a lot of rain, but when it does, IT COMES DOWN!

That's why I use a BMW tank bag, it is waterproof. Most others use covers and by the time they are used, I have a wet tank bag.

am just a swim up the channel!

Howard,
am just up the way in "raincountry". I live in Ketchikan, Alaska.

We come through Prince Rupert regularly mostly in winter heading for
Smithers.

Mostly, I don't ride in the rain and when I do.. the best protection is
top quality gear. As I remember there is a rain gear store in PR on the
route to the ferry dock.

I am riding with Olympia easy see yellow gear..it works really good and has
a lot of feature that cover cold to hot conditions..wet and dry.

I rode my R1100s down 16 and 97 in May over a 5 week stretch.. Rain in Kitimat.
otherwise dry and nice all the way.
Welcome back to beemervile.

Jim, Ketchikan:usa

I have the Bike In Hand

Hi all, and thanks again for the warm welcome. Just got back from the Okanagan in BC where I picked up my new ride.

Didn't have much a chance on that day for riding other than about 2 hours in the saddle. Boy what memories flood back. Getting back on the beemer had me grinning from ear to ear. And numerous people gleaming at the bike as I road by. Not that I am the least bit of an egotist, it does provide a good feeling.

Surprised one of my boys when I drove up to his place and he was expecting to see me in my Truck...ahhhh... another great day and the sun was shinning.

I then had to, sadly, put the bike in a U-Haul to get it back home. Haven't had the time I've wanted to ride as yet, other than a few hours each day after work.

Hi Gertiektn,(Jim) yes we are in rain country for sure. I did go ahead a purchase an Aerostich Roadcrafter two piece, which of course is on b/o, so won't see it till end of Nov. I hope it does the trick.

So here is the bike, now owned by me, and a the picture I took, with my cam. All mine.

There is a Toy Run here tomorrow.....wonder how the Harley riders will feel about it?? Hahah. Good thing I know a lot of them.

Thanks all

Cheers

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 67
Hello from a nearby neighbor

Hello all.. I apologize if this is a bit long winded....
Just joined up and I am sooo excited to be here and becoming a member. Why did I sign up?
I have been riding bikes since I was 12, starting with a Honda 50 Minibike. Graduated to a Yamaha 175 enduro when I was 17. Got my first BMW in 1978, when I was around 20yrs old which was a R90/6. Bought used from Philip Funnel BMW in Vancouver. A name synonymous with BMW and Riding Enthusiasts. At least here in BC.

And here is the kicker! Wanna know how great the BMW community can be? When I bought that R90/6, it was 1000 miles away from me, with no real way of getting it. I still only had my learners license for a motorcycle. I just knew it was the one I wanted.
To my surprise, Philip Funnel himself, the owner of the store offered to ride the bike up here, and I would pay for expenses etc, and the flight back to vancouver. I thought he was joking!

I was flabbergasted....Unbelievable. He did just that, delivered that bike to me, a 1000 mile trip, and even took my older sister out for dinner. A true inspiration for me at the time as I was so young. I have never forgotten that and never will.

I owned that bike for 4 years, took my drivers test on that bike, and passed with flying colours. A testament to how great it handled, even for a small guy like me..5'6" and 140lbs. I added a WindJammer Fairing to it and my biggest trip with the bike was from Prince Rupert, BC to San Diego and back. 7 weeks of pure bliss. And put over 30,000 miles on in three years.

I sold it (foolish I know), and later got a Suzuki GS100EX. Had that one for about 10 yrs, riding off and on. But to tell the truth, I grew to hate it.

Then came marriage and kids, and that bike was sold. The kids are now all grown up and I have been without for a long time...but next Saturday I will once again be the proud owner of a BMW....a 2002 R1150RT.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to the community and look forward to getting back into the Beemer saddle once again.

The pic I am posting is from the current owner, but will post others once it's MINE..lol.

Thanks to all of you for the support offered to riders and the friendships that develop as a result of people willing to share and help others.

Howard

Bikes once owned:
Honda C50 Minibike ( I was 12, so I didn't really buy it)
Yamaha 175 Enduro
BMW R90/6
Suzuki GS1100EX
Konker 250 Enduro

And in one week from today..
BMW 2002 R1150RT

I am in Quesnel. Msg me if you are passing through and we can do a coffee run. Oh, need to add, that's a SWEET ride.

Two-Piece Roadcrafter

I use a 2-piece Roadcrafter suit. It's very comfortable. More than anything, I know if or when I go down, I am as protected as I can be. I believe the motto- AGATT (All Gear All The Time). It's not about fashion; it's about being protected. Yes, it can get warm wearing it, but you have the underarm vents that you can zip open. When I stop for a few minutes, I have the top half hang down. It's also great for rainstorms. I also purchased the add-on spine protector that is very comfortable. Enjoy.

Back