• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Russell Day Long VS Kontour Magnum

gvgans3r

I have a 1988 R100GS with a Corbin Solo seat and am looking to upgrade.

I am a big guy. 6' 5" 280bls. I have tried Airhawk, beads, sheepskin, gel and every combination of all of these and can not make my seat comfortable. I do like the Beadrider for the airflow and that is why the Kontour is on the short list. Can anybody speak to the airflow on the Kontour vs a bead seat???

The wide stance of both of these seats really seem to be what I need... But think that air would be important too. Russell doesn't sound like they like to push the velour they sell but hasn't bothered to find a better cloth material.

Russell says that they can work with my Corbin seat pan where as Kontour will not. In that case. Does anybody have an OEM Solo Seat for my GS? Cheap?? Can't see spending another $300 + on an original seat that I am going to spend... $600 - $700.

Yes. I know that I need to loose weight. But I will never be a little guy or anywhere near the sub 200lbs that bikes and their seats are made for.

Help!! I really can't afford this so I want to make sure I do it right.

Russell for Big Guys

I had a new 1991 K75S that came with a Corbin seat that at that time was BMW OEM. My two previous bikes had Russell seats and after giving the Corbin seat a year I decided it was time for a Russell. Called them and asked if they could build their seat on a Corbin pan, answer "Yes". It was the BEST seat I've ever owned, including the last three custom seats that have all been very good.

Even with all of the advances in foam, a big guy like your self will benefit from the internal spring on the Russell. Don't worry about air flow, get the Russell. You can always add a sheep skin if you think it's too hot. The Russells I've owned worked best without the sheep skin. YMMV...

Russell day long on a RT.... my 2 cents worth

Get the Russell.....

I have had several Corbins,a Sargent and now a Russell. The Russell beats them all for comfort. And with a bead rider on it,the airflow is good,even on hot days.
I know your Talking seat for GS's here( I have a 98 RT),just thought I'd put my input on the table.
Corbins seem to be getting worse in comfort and quality. There customer service sucks too. I had a 2004 Triumph Sprint ST with a Corbin that needed a recovering. They could have cared less when I called about a recovering.....

Perry

I am 6'2" and 280, I have a Day Long on my RT and just put a used one (with spring) on my GSA. You will not regret the decision.

Russell, the Kontour isn't in the same league. I deeply regret buying one and lost my shirt selling it, only to have to buy the Russell.

Russell, the Kontour isn't in the same league. I deeply regret buying one and lost my shirt selling it, only to have to buy the Russell.

And the opposite is true for a Russell... I sold one because it was too tall for me. Posted it in the flea market and was standing on line at UPS and hour later waiting to ship it too it's new owner.

And the opposite is true for a Russell... I sold one because it was too tall for me. Posted it in the flea market and was standing on line at UPS and hour later waiting to ship it too it's new owner.

Yeah, the RDL adds an inch and a half to the height. They do warn you about it, and it settles to about half that. I take the bushings off the bottom of the seat pan until it breaks in.

I'm like the OP, have tried everything. Only the RDL does the job for me.

Height isn't an issue. I only have a 32 inch inseam but once I hop on the bike it definitely settles and can flat foot easily. An extra 2 inches in height won't effect me in any negative way.... well, maybe a taller windscreen.

Options?

Also, How are you all ordering or have you ordered previous RDL? Anybody have first hand experience of the velour inserts vs a Beadrider??

Hesitant to go velour and a little surprised they haven't come up with a better fabric solution. Would be leaning toward Leather inserts otherwise.

I've ordered two RDL seats. It can take several weeks to get a build date depending on their workload. My seats have been vinyl, not sure I'd like velour on the bike, but do like it in the car. I also like leather but figure it would need more care on the bike.

I'm not a fan of strapping beads or sheep or airhawks onto the seat, but many folks are happy with these things.

Oh yeah, this time I got the heat option, not cold enough yet, but getting there in New England.

You do get much more airflow with the beads than the KonTour.

Vinyl RDL here. I chose the "half-moon" pattern for the RDL for two reasons: (1) it seemed to be a bit more resistant to moisture intrusion due the the number and location of the seams, and (2) I was hoping the design would help flow a bit of air. The first premise appears to be holding up but I'm not sure about the half-moon flowing more air. However, I DO wear some Motoport pants made out of cordura and I haven't noticed any stickiness in warm temps when riding on the RDL.

I am told that the Kontour seat is nice during rain, since water will not pool on the seat and test the seams of your rain pants' crotch stitching. However, I would prefer to ride on an RDL no matter the weather!

Seat Update

So I did end up ordering the Russell Day-Long. One major advantage is that they were willing and able to use my Corbin seat pan. Don't know why Kontour can't. I mean if the seat is custom... sounds like they leave some of the original foam.

I can't flat foot without sliding forward but feel sound on my toes at lights. Had a great weather day on Monday and got to put 300 miles. It was windy and my joints were a little stiff but my butt was not suffering. :heart

It does put me up a little higher and a little extra wind noise and buffeting. May consider a Wunderlich wind deflector.

Anyway. It is a thumbs up so far from me.

a>

Russell group buy on Vulcan bagger forum about to end.

There are about 10 slots open for a group buy at RDL. The opportunity ends at midnight. RDL opened up 125 slots and right now only 10 left. Just go to the RDL website and complete your form and get it to them. Be sure to put on the form 2013 Group buy or you won't get the 20% discount. I am all signed up for my RT.

QUOTE=moralem;824006]A guy over own the Vulcan bagger forum is trying to put together a group buy for a RDL and is looking for 100 folks in order to make it work. I think he said it could be up to a 20% discount......just letting folks know. It is on a first come first serve up to the first 100. http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30504[/QUOTE]

I'm not as tall, but obviously more round than you :whistle at 6'1" & 280. 32" inseam.

I have found comfort on Corbins in the past, they tend to be firm.

But for my Roadster, I stumbled upon a Sargent seat @ an attractive price, and it is very comfortable for me. I too sometimes use the beads for air, and sometimes an Alaskan Butt Buffer for keeping the sun of the seat when parked. But usually use nothing , and have found it fine either way..........just my 2 cents.

Ron

Russell Day Long for me, leather covered.

Bought Russell Day Long, leather covered in Feb '02 when bike had 67 k miles, now have 144 k miles and love the seat. Think it was $500.

Had a Corbin, vinyl covered before and the vertical sides would "crinkle" as I hit bumps resulting in much discomfort in around an hour. I tried bike shorts under my jeans, etc. I hated it because the seat hurt in about 1 hour.

Now the leather edges don't bother me as I ride and ride and ride. If I park and think its going to rain, I flip the cover on the seat or ride with the seat covered if it is raining. The bike is stored inside my garage, no cover needed there.

Now with many miles the seat's leather got thin near the tank at the edge of the seat. Well, a bead of "Shoe Goo" sticks to the leather, matches the black color and protects the thinner leather before it wore through.

Hope this helps.

Also, How are you all ordering or have you ordered previous RDL? Anybody have first hand experience of the velour inserts vs a Beadrider??

Hesitant to go velour and a little surprised they haven't come up with a better fabric solution. Would be leaning toward Leather inserts otherwise.

I have a beadrider on my RT; love it. It has transformed my seat so that i can ride for 12 hrs without pain. Great in the AZ heat as well!

Back