• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator IV through Speakers - '12 R1200RT

bikerpaul

I was able to take part in the promotion to get a GPS with the purchase of my R1200RT and it was installed last weekend by the dealer at no cost. The problem I have is it I can't figure out how to make it play through the speakers. When I try to adjust the volume on the device itself it says something to the effect that it's hooked up through the audio system but I never hear anything. I've tried it on AUX, USB, FM, Satellite etc but no sound ever comes out. I've flipped through the audio system manual and the one for the GPS and I can't find where it says how it should all work. I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

I also took advantage of the Nav IV and bought a new 12 RT. I had the dealer install is and it does not come through the speakers as I was told it should on this forum and another. I asked the dealer and they didn't know that it should be coming through the speakers. They checked into it and advised me that they need to connect to wires that were not connected in the original install. Something about a white connector connecting to a black connector on the bike wire harness. I looked and couldn't see it. I'm going to take it in this week and have it connected. I'll advise you on the outcome and get pictures of the connection if you would like to see it.

I use earbuds with the "rear speaker" plug,and the GPS comes through without any problems.

Nav IV & Speakers.

I have Nav IV on a 2012 RT. I installed it. There were two plugs that had to be plugged into the bike harness. One was power to the base plate and the other was the feed to the speakers.
I generally use the blue tooth as the feed for the GPS. And here is the trick. The speakers will only work when the Blue Tooth system is off.
Make sure your radio is playing thru the speakers and the GPS should also play back thru the speakers. If not then the dealer did not hook up the feed to the speaker system.
If you want to take it a step further you could look for the two connectors that should be hooked up to the GPS wiring harness. They are directly below the instrument panel; between the fork tubes on the bottom of the main frame tube.
This view is from the right had side looking down and forward thru the opening between the fairing and the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 164
I was looking down in there this past weekend and noticed that one of the plugs was not connected. I'd be willing to bet that's the problem.

I have Nav IV on a 2012 RT. I installed it. There were two plugs that had to be plugged into the bike harness. One was power to the base plate and the other was the feed to the speakers.
I generally use the blue tooth as the feed for the GPS. And here is the trick. The speakers will only work when the Blue Tooth system is off.
Make sure your radio is playing thru the speakers and the GPS should also play back thru the speakers. If not then the dealer did not hook up the feed to the speaker system.
If you want to take it a step further you could look for the two connectors that should be hooked up to the GPS wiring harness. They are directly below the instrument panel; between the fork tubes on the bottom of the main frame tube.
This view is from the right had side looking down and forward thru the opening between the fairing and the frame.

I was looking down in there this past weekend and noticed that one of the plugs was not connected. I'd be willing to bet that's the problem.

Me too. I think I'll stop by the dealer and let them do it. It's kind of tight in there and I don't want to mess anything up. I'll bet if I send you a pic of mine they will have the same wires not connected.

Nav IV with RT

Can you confirm that this was correcting with proper wiring. I am having the same problem with a dealer installed mount; no voice prompts through the radio and poor documentation to explain it.

Thanks,
Marshall

Yep it worked for me. The dealer told me there wasn't anywhere else to plug the second connector, I said keep looking. They finally got out the wiring diagram for the bike an found it. Said it was 'hidden' in the fairing somewhere. Both white connectors should be connected.

Connectors

For the record. They are not hidden.
The picture I posted shows the one on the right side ( throttle side ).
The other connector is in the exact same position on the other side of the frame ( tube) shown.
If you need the instructions I think I still have them. I could take pictures and post them if you need them.
:dance

Back