Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: battery tender

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    From the voice of experience: I thought I'd made a real find when a few yrs back the Die Hard was on sale @ Kmart & tried 2. Well they are crap & don't charge properly-dried out my pricey trolling battery as did a cheapo Wally World trickle charger before that.
    Battery Tender call them as I did last Friday, r.e. my 9-10 yr old unit. Sales mgr,John says it will be $12-45 for another depending on repair needed. Thats cheaper than a new one & back in warranty too. I also sent him 2 ea. $125 waterproof Tenders that had quit. He said they are non repairable & when I quized him as to why the shorter warranty compared to much longer on the cheaper unit he said it was based on them being non repairable as permanently sealed. Told me to send them back even though out of warranty & I'd get new ones for a $30 per unit warranty exchange fee. Not such hard people to work with.
    Wow, I am impressed. My comments were based upon the many reviews that I had gone over during my charger search. People complained that it cost as much to exercise the warranty as to purchase a new charger. I guess that is what happens when you buy the entry level product.

You know, it is great to hear about good customer service for a change. Like my local BMW dealer offering to re-key my top case for free. Sometimes it does not take much to make a customer happy.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

I have a couple of those Die Hard battery charger/maintainers... I use them for my cars (standard wet-cell batteries) and on my Panasonic AGM battery for the bike. I've left them connected for up to 10 weeks on the Miata, but I've not had a need to do so with the bike, just the weekly, overnight top-up. No problems so far (2+years)... although now that I've written this I'm sure all of my batteries will be fried by the time I get home this afternoon!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    I had bought one of those Wally World $17 "battery tenders" before I bought the Delran. Hooked it to a garden tractor battery and it took it about a month before it fried it. Gave it away and bought the Delran. Pay a few more bucks and get a good one and you won't be sorry.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRonny View Post
    I had bought one of those Wally World $17 "battery tenders" before I bought the Delran.
    Biggest retailer in America (the world?), virtually everything they sell which isn't a name brand is crap, yet people keep buying from them because its cheap. I don't get it.

Pardon the thread derail.

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Biggest retailer in America (the world?), virtually everything they sell which isn't a name brand is crap, yet people keep buying from them because its cheap. I don't get it.

I know one thing, I got it..lol...won't happen again though, I have an aversion to Wally World anymore and don't go into one unless I can't find it anywhere else. Hasn't happened yet.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

You can't even trust the brand names without careful checking. I was working an insurance claim where the suspected cause was a Magic Chef appliance. I wrote Magic Chef to put them on notice. They wrote me back to inform me that they had sold the name to Walmart who put in on an appliance made in China. I contacted Walmart and they confirmed the information and told me who in China supplied. I was thankful that the fire was operator error rather than eqipment failure so I didn't have to fight the battle of Walmart and China.

I also discovered a 26" RCA TV I bought from Walmart was not made by RCA when the Dish remote would not program for the TV. I discovered it was made by an unknown company when I read the warranty.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    Per their ad "Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)"
    You usually find that on the packaging of chargers, except instead of the word "Perfect for" (which is a lie), they use "Charges" which is sort of true, but they fail to tell you that it'll affect the life of your battery.

But since your average Joe is happy with five-year battery life (talk about a short life for a battery), nobody bothers to get into the details of battery chargers.

Sorry to say, most of them are worth what you pay for them...no more.

Over the years on motorcycle forums, I always read about people plugging their bikes into battery tenders or chargers when not in use, the correct chargers you MUST use, etc.

I've never done it on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Maybe I just ride them all frequently enough so that it's never been an issue?

I got 9 years out of my Yuasa lead acid battery. It was still functional, but I replaced it because I was going on a weekend trip. So far, on my sealed battery, I'm on year 6 with no signs of slowing down.

I use my cheap charger twice a year; in the late fall when putting the girls away for the winter, and in the spring, when waking them up. In between I just ride, and frankly, I'm very satisfied with the life of the batteries I use. My motorcycles usually are idle the months of December, January, and February here in Minnesota, and usually get "woken up" some time in middle or late March.

Honestly, it works just fine for me, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    I always read about people plugging their bikes into battery tenders or chargers when not in use...
    In fact, a better charger is one that does not go into "float mode", instead, one that properly tops up a battery in the absorbtion mode and then switches off till battery voltage drops down to ~12.7V where it switches back on again and the cycle repeats.

Both of my CTEK 3300 chargers do that even though they are advertized to do 3-stage charging...all the better.

My factory Exide battery in my oilhead GS would sit at 12.9V for at least 3 weeks till my voltmeter display would show 12.8V.

I just walk by my GS now and then and check the reading on the dash...

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    My motorcycles usually are idle the months of December, January, and February.
    Its a good idea to at least monitor battery voltage while it is parked, even if the battery is disconnected. If you have any standby current draw, then disconnecting the battery is a must.