• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Distractions, Texting etc.

since most people now seem to drive around with an arm up to an ear holding a cellphone...

Hypothesis: Evolution in the future will cause humans to have one functional arm with the other permanently attached to the lateral skull.

Btw: Yesterday while riding i-10, i passed some woman in a ford expedition doing about 70 mph while eating something in a cup with a spoon. She must have been steering with her knees ! Scary stuff out there ...

I would tend to agree with this. One of my other bad habits is being a pilot. Riding around doing anywhere from 150 to 350 kts make for getting really good at multitasking and scanning instruments. Running approaches ifr to minimums means doing a lot of instrument scans while concentrating on the primary function of staying on the glideslope and not hitting the ground, so you scan quickly.

this is a lot like riding a motorcycle, and in fact you use the same fine motor control skills, so having a lot of stuff on the bike is not really a problem for me. I am a gadget geek anyway, so the training from the flying is applicable to the motorcycle instrumentation. I do have the gps mounted above the instrument cluster on the rt, so it is easy to scan and still be able to see the roadway ahead.

one thing i did do was to disconnect the cellphone interface from the autocom system. One afternoon while riding, it occurred to me that the whole purpose of riding was to clear my head of crap, and the last thing i needed to be doing was discussing business with clients. I return calls at stops now, and concentrate on the riding and avoiding the idiot eating whatever was in the above mentioned bowl.

+1

Not trying to be a "pile on" but lets be realistic & also say that the pilot is healthier (by requirement & unlike many slob operators)& has vision tested @ a far superior standard level plus training out the ying yang past a road driver & the list goes on & on. It might also be pointed out that the aviation instrumentation is a bit more vital @ times than a farkle pile on a bike which puts it in another category beyond "how many dials ya got". Two different worlds, they are.

b6cfa579-3e13-4b32-a1f0-89f63e95d71b.png

wonder which of these is the knucklehead...:dunno

Here in Georgia text messaging, instant messaging, web browsing, email use (reading, checking or composing), etc are all prohibited even while stopped at a traffic light and may only be conducted "off the roadway".

Yeah I live in Jawja too...and in my neck of the woods that part of the law doesn't seem to be stopping any bad behaviors.

Tell me about it! This one woman was rather relentless with her urge to text and drive during my commute this morning- made me grateful to be in my car!

Wait. You mean this isn't a joke?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TPaq1gflAC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a joke.. Right?!

Back