• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

best jacket for the fall and winter

I just got a Hi Viz Katmandu for Christmas and love it. I wear it over my heated liner from Powerlet. Now, here is the silly question. If its waterproof is it also windproof? The reason I ask is that my arms still feel a little cool even though the line has wires in the sleeves. Should I also be putting a windproof shell over the liner?

I must say I enjoyed riding yesterday with the little snow flake blinking on my dashboard.

Can't answer your Katmandu question about waterproof being windproof, though I think it should. What I CAN tell you is that there are a lot of jackets like my Rev'it Sand that come with a rainproof zip-in liner. Translated, that means the outer jacket will absorb A LOT of water in heavy rain (unless you find exactly the right washing then treatment products,) though if you do everything right you will stay dry. These jackets with the rain liner in and electric jacket (with a controller) are great for staying comfortable from temps above 50 to below freezing. No disrobing to add or subtract inner garments - which is why I think all insulated non-electric liners suck. They will be perfect at only one temperature. Temperatures can vary considerably on even a few hour ride and it is great to dial in a little more or less heat as needed. For light rain (or snow) these jackets are great. Also fine if you will be coming home and the jacket can hang a couple days to dry out after a heavy rain.

In the summer on trips, I skip the rain liner and replace it with an outer rain jacket - which is easier to don or shed in summer showers. Mostly take the electric jacket though. (If you are thinking of buying one, take a look in this forum at the problems people have been having with Gerbings of late.)

I have a Rev-it also. I think it is the Dragon model. I wanted something shorter and lighter, but this has been a great jacket for fall and winter.
The bottom line, I like it. I would purchase again.

I just got a Hi Viz Katmandu for Christmas and love it. I wear it over my heated liner from Powerlet. Now, here is the silly question. If its waterproof is it also windproof? The reason I ask is that my arms still feel a little cool even though the line has wires in the sleeves. Should I also be putting a windproof shell over the liner?

I must say I enjoyed riding yesterday with the little snow flake blinking on my dashboard.

I presently have a couple of setups I use:

Motoport Airmesh II kevlar jacket and pants

Olympia hi-vis yellow/orange.

Both are excellent in hot weather we have in south Louisiana. For cold weather, both jackets have waterproof and insulated layers zipped in.

As noted in other posts, the insulation liners can get cold or hot when riding if you are not in the temp range of the insulation. I have never used the thermal liners in either jacket, mostly to avoid the "Michelin Man" stuffed effect.

When the temps get below 60, I put in the rain liners, and below 50 the Warm-n-Safe electric liner goes in. This setup is functional until the temp drops into the mid 40's when the windchill, when riding over about 30 minutes, will begin to cold-soak the mesh and the rain liner, and the electrics cannot quite keep up with the heat loss. Around 45, I usually put on my external rain gear to add another wind block layer and give about a 1 inch airspace over the electrics. This setup has been used into the low teens and I am quite comfortable when the electric liner is about 2/3 full on. Even my cold natured wife is "Warm-n-Safe" and I have no complaints in the intercom. She also has electric gloves, pants and sock inserts and is a very happy camper.

One thing to remember about underwear : NO COTTON !. Cotton can kill in cold weather because it stays wet, and we all know about monkey butt in hot weather. I only use wicking stuff, mostly CoolMax or similar.

tour master my choice

I bought th tour master Seirra jacket last year at the NYC MC show for $165. Great jacket, lots of pockets, 2 liners, one that is insulated, the other wind, waterproof. You can wear one or both. On the cold days here in the NE, I also wear ski long johns and a thick wool sweater. I stay nice and warm, though I looking at heated jackets. The tour master has been great for me. Just find the best fit for the best price.

I started researching a new jacket about a month ago and here's what I found along the way. I started by stopping by the Revzilla store for a couple hours of trying on just about everything they had. They had Dainese, Olympia, Alpinestar, Rukka and Klim. All great jackets but I just didn't like the fit on most of them. The Klim was close but I'm in between a medium and a large. The medium was just a touch tight in the arm pits and the large sleaves covered my hands completely???

A few weeks later I stopped by Bob's BMW to go through their jackets. Mostly the BMW brand and Revit. There's something about the Revit gear that I just don't like. My wife wears one and there's just a lot going on with the liners. One liner for warmth, one for rain, etc. They fit pretty well but I just never got a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I tried the new Tourshell, Rally 3 and Streetguard 3. Having the ability to try on a 42, 44 and 46 was wonderful and filled the gap between a medium and a large. All of the jackets fit great in a 44 but I kept going back to the new Tourshell. It has a waterproof shell....not a liner. It's very understated in it's appearance but provides very good armor that feels like it will stay in place if needed. The Rally was my second choice, followed by the Streetguard. Even when removing price from the equation I'd still lean in the same direction.

Tourmaster Transitions 3.0-Good Value

We bought Tourmasters (my wife and I) and have been very happy. The model is a Transitions 3.0. It has a removable liner for when it warms up a bit. We live in Northern California and this jacket keeps me warm down to about 45 degrees with the liner in. Colder than that I put on the Gerbings. Very wind proof. I can't attest to the waterproof qualities, because I refuse to ride in heavy rain, but no issues in mist at all. If you are concerned with rain, any quality manufacturer such as Klim, or the Beemer stuff with Gortex would be best. Like I said though, very happy with the quality of my Tourmaster and though I don't remember what I paid for it at Cyclegear, I remember it was very reasonable, around the $130 range. Good luck and let us know what you selected.

I have a Hi-viz yellow Moab jacket from Olympia - it will be two years in April. It is a mesh shell and has one water-proof liner and one Thinsulate liner. I wear it all year in North Carolina. In the summer with no liner up to 100+ degrees. In the Spring/Fall with the water-proof liner from about 50 to 70 degrees - it is also like a windbreaker. In the winter with both liners from as low as 20 degrees - my core does not get cold but I will also wear a good thin Nike/Under Armor/polypropylene layer when it is below freezing. the jacket is adjustable and fits well with or without the liners. The Hi-viz color makes a difference, drivers tend to give me more space. I don't like the pocket arrangement and I think it is a one and done jacket, but other than that it is an excellent jacket.

does any one have suggestions on a good riding jacket mainly for cold weather, I have a mesh jacket for summer. I have been looking at first gear but they have about 4-5 different styles available, I'm mainly I would just like to stay warm.

If you filled out your profile or gave just a tad more info you might narrow things down a bit. Cold weather to a rider in Tampa Bay means tee-shirt weather to a Vermonter. My ride today was warm at 26F with light snow. :D

Honestly, by the time you have the jacket etc that you really like, you should own 3-6 different brands and types, or at gone through that many. Over the years I have built quite the collection of jackets, gloves, helmets, socks, heated gear....you name it. All in search of that ONE thing that will fit all of my requirements. Well, that's difficult if not downright impossible. The fleamarket and ebay are great places to shop and if need be, just re-submit an ad and sell them again. Personally, I like my Darian top and bottoms for winter. Summer I like my BMW airflow 3 jacket and olympia mash pants. Spring and fall I like either the Darian(3of them) jackets or my BMW Rally 2 pro or the Savanna. Lets not even talk gloves or socks or heated gear or even helmets. I think I have 6 of those. Now that I have really confused things, welcome to motorcycling! It sure is a hoot though, and then where to put it all. :scratch

buying a heated jacket

Since I posted here Jan. 9, I decided to buy a Gerbing heated jacket. Less bulky and I will stay warmer. Its going to cost $211 for the jacket and then another $100 for the temperature control switch. I love my jacket but wearing all the extra layers in the cold months was getting old. So now I can wear a short or long sleeve shirt and just the jacket which fits snug, like it should and stay nice and warm. Getting older and I like to be comfortable.

Back