• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

best jacket for the fall and winter

arptra

does any one have suggestions on a good riding jacket mainly for cold weather, I have a mesh jacket for summer. I have been looking at first gear but they have about 4-5 different styles available, I'm mainly I would just like to stay warm.

Brands are more of a budget subject.

If warmth is your primary goal you need to remember 3 things when selecting

1) Layers
2) Windblocking
3) An electric for underneath when really cold.

Cold weather jackets should typically be 3/4 length, longer than your summer mesh..

The brand is secondary in my opinion. The best winter jacket is one that fits properly, especially around the neck. Is the collar too tight, too loose, too short, too tall? It will drive you nuts otherwise. Do the cuffs fit well with your gloves? Personally I have a First Gear Kathmandu. The collar fits my stubby neck well - a little loose. With the liner removed it accommodates my heated liner well. The sleeves fit well as does the torso. I went to several dealers and tried on a BUNCH of jackets before I found the one I liked. The folks at MotorcycleGear.com do an excellent job of describing the fit and quality of their jackets. They have a great selection too.

Also what price range you want? Just boughtv a $200 first gear jacket , but could have spend up to $600.:wave:wave

If warmth is your primary goal you need to remember 3 things when selecting

1) Layers
2) Windblocking
3) An electric for underneath when really cold.

Cold weather jackets should typically be 3/4 length, longer than your summer mesh..

:nod

I've used various combinations of jackets over the years and have found that the combination of electric inner liner, wind blocking mid liner, and waterproof outer shell has worked best for keeping me warm. My current setup is a Darien Light. The outer shell keeps the water and lots of the wind off of my body. The addition of the wind blocker liner keeps the rest of the wind out and my body heat in. I use that combination down to the upper 40s. I'll add a warm-n-safe electric liner under the wind blocker liner to keep me warm in any temperature I care to ride.

Jacket

I just got a Klim Latitude outer shell that is gore-tex and guaranteed waterproof, it's really a great quality piece of equipment and I'm quite pleased with it so far. Under this I would use a mid-layer or a Gerbing's heated liner depending on how cold it is outside. The beauty of using a shell is that it allows you to layer underneath based on the the conditions and with a good shell it can be used any time of year. The Klim is the best shell I've ever had and the sizing is true to their chart. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks to all , this helps a lot, the first gear is the one I have been leaning toward, I like the Klim but are a little out of my price range.

Go to a store with the differant models of the First Gear and try them on first. I ended with a smaller size one than I normal wear and it fits better. A good sales person helps too. I try tour master, olympia & alpenstar but like the first gear best.

I've been happy with the First Gear Teton TPG jacket I bought a couple of years ago. Blocks the wind really well and is waterproof/breathable. Has an insulated liner for colder days. Plus, I got it on closeout for around $99 :) For me, it's too warm for summer use so I have a mesh jacket for that season as well. Any of the TPG jackets should work about the same but fit and coverage will vary.

yeah, I have a mesh for summer and in Texas even that is to hot. Just looking for something warm, on coldest days will use my electric vest.

Not sure what you like of course, but a very good versatile jacket is the Classy Rider .

I've had one 6 years now and it amazes me. It is light weight, folds easily for storage , really warm for it's weight,, rain [resistant] , and has a decent temperature range , and includes vents. It has a zip closure w/storm flap, & a stand-up collar .
I bought one size up, to allow a fleece, sweatshirt, etc. under it, and it works very well.

They have a web site www.ClassyRider.com

I really like the Olympia mesh jackets that come with the two part liner: one part is waterproof and the other part is insulated. You can wear either or both with the mesh jacket and the insulated part is very warm.

I recently bought a aerostich Darien light jacket and love it. If that doesn't fit within your budget take a look at the roadgear jackets that Nick sells. They are loaded with features and are very warm.

I just picked up a BMW Tourance 2 for 1/3 off. It was discounted as the 2013 styles are now being introduced.

It's my third BMW jacket over the years and they are the most comfortable I've owned. I had an Aerostich Darien for a decade, but like the BMW jackets better, mostly for a more tailored it and nicer finish.

I have a tourmaster Saber (~$175) - waterproof membrane, windproof, and a zip in quilted insulation liner. I rode this morning in 40F at 75mph and was comfortable. I wear a tourmaster air intake mesh during warmer weather. Held air n dry gloves - which are ok even at 40F with heated grips, but just barely. R1150GS.

Fleabay

If used will do - and it does for me - check fleabay and the gear sections here - Used jackets can be had for a song.

+1 on 3/4 length, windstopping lining and electric warming. I wear a Darien jacket or a Roadcrafter with an electric jacket liner - I'm good down to 20 degrees or so.

Kilimanjaro Jkt

I've been using a Firstgear Kiliminjaro Jacket this year, in Hi Viz of course. It's been working out quite well. Windproof, waterproof, and slightly insulated. Come Winter, I've added a fleece underneath and have making due pretty well.

For the past 3 years before I was using the overlooked Scorpion Commander Jacket. Scorpion is known for their helmets and street styles, however if ever there was a jacket I was going to wear on my ride to, let's say, the moon it would have to be the Commander. They've just re-styled the jacket for 2012. It features an outer Lining (not waterproof) followed by Windproof / Waterproof Liner, with an inside thermal vest, and topped off by a storm collar. I haven't tried out the new jacket yet, but am wondering if they have made the outer shell a bit more waterproof.

Last but not least, when buying a jacket, don't forget the visibility. After all I like to say, "If they see you, they might not run you over as bad."

Good luck with the purchase, I don't think you will be let down with the Firstgear.

Be Seen and Be Safe,
Hi Viz Guy

Silly question

I just got a Hi Viz Katmandu for Christmas and love it. I wear it over my heated liner from Powerlet. Now, here is the silly question. If its waterproof is it also windproof? The reason I ask is that my arms still feel a little cool even though the line has wires in the sleeves. Should I also be putting a windproof shell over the liner?

I must say I enjoyed riding yesterday with the little snow flake blinking on my dashboard.

Back