Effective September 1, at the ripe old age of 56 and after 23 years of a research career at a large pharma company, I pulled the plug and retired. One of the things I plan to do is ride more, and what better time to do that than in the Fall?

The trip at the top of my list was a camping trip to New England (VT) to see the fall foliage, so I went this week. I may‘«÷ve been a little early, but I had a great time and saw some good color. The roads still curve even if the colors haven‘«÷t peaked.

I left my home in southeast PA on Monday, the start of the (non)work week, with a goal of getting to the Adirondacks and Ausable Point SP, near Plattsburgh. The description of the state park as a sandy point that juts into Lake Champlain sounded interesting and I could ferry to Burlington from there.

Monday morning was electric jacket cool and I left the house by 5:30. Since the first hour or so would be in the dark, I took interstates and highways to Marshall‘«÷s Creek near Stroudsburg, where I picked up PA 402 north.

I watched a bit of the sunrise over Silver Lake.

I picked up I-84 east and crossed into NY state at Port Jervis.

NY 42 north had lots of gentle curves. The school buses were out, but I made good time.

At one point, I came to the Neversink Reservoir, which I believe feeds NYC.

At this point, I knew I had missed my turn, so backtracked and eventually picked up Frost Valley Rd, a road I‘«÷ve ridden in the past. Unfortunately, the effects of Irene are still being felt.

I saw lots of damage still evident from Irene in NY and VT.

I may‘«÷ve been able to get through, but I turned around to find an alternate route. I‘«÷ve ridden this area before when attending the Airheads at the Aerodrome rally and the Color in the Catskills at Hunter Mountain. The roads looked vaguely familiar and I eventually ended up on Peekamoose Rd. What a roller coaster.

I‘«÷d ridden this road twice before with MOA members - once in a heavy rainstorm and once after the road had just been chip sealed ‘«Ű neither time was all that much fun. This time though was very enjoyable.

I eventually made my way over to Grand Gorge to pick up NY 30. In the spirit of practicing what you preach, I recently recommended NY 30 to a Forum member as a great way to travel south through NY state from Canada. I rode this road several years ago, and have wanted to get back there.