• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Helmets...and WIND NOISE!

Of the evaluations of flip ups that I have read, they all list noise as a factor.
It's just not one solid piece but has seams, hinged places, etc.
I wear ear plugs all the time.

I don't think my noise is coming from any helmet seams. If I block the bottom rear of the helmet, the noise ceases. This seems to indicate the wind vortex coming off the windscreen is swirling into my helmet, and maybe bouncing off my jacket shoulder armor. I have a new windscreen coming next week that will hopefully push the vortex out further. Also have some new earplugs coming. Fingers crossed...

Wind Noise

I wish I had you guys problems, I have been wearing hearing aids since 1959. Currently my loss is listed at 70db, that is close to just plain deaf. However I can not wear the helmet and the hearing aids at the same time, doing this plants both hearing aids on the ground when removing the helmet, and that is a bad thing. So I ride with them in a plastic bag placed in my pocket, wind noise, what is that???

Helmets from years ago were actually noisier then helmets of today. Most people didn't realize that wind noise was a problem. When I was a teenager I had a boss who was an ex-state trooper. He was deaf in his left ear from driving with the window down. When I learned this, I started to rebuild my helmets to reduce the wind noise. I eliminated most of it, but not all of it.

37 years later my hearing is impaired due to riding bikes. Even with rebuild helmets. I typically rode 25-40k per year. Helmets today are better, but they still have problems. And they still need a lot of improvement.

I still rebuild my helmets and add foam around my ears and use ear plugs. In my opinion ear plugs are still vital to hearing protection.

All good stuff. My old Bell helmet was full face. But not modular like the Multitec. I've been wondering if the articulating ability of a modular is introducing more ways for wind noise to enter.

I've ordered a new windscreen and some new earplugs. Hope like hell these work. I can't use normal foam earplugs due to narrow ear canals. Like an idiot I ordered a box of 200 3M earplugs and spent two hours one night trying to get JUST ONE in my ear. Fuggedaboudit! Now I've ordered some Moldex Comets re-usable earplugs:

http://www.earplugstore.com/moldex-comets-earplugs-bx.html

Hope they work.

I also have small ear canals and regular earplugs just don't get in or hurt like mad after a few minutes. One day I randomly tried these below and now use them on every rides. On one ride they were in so nicely, I kept them in all day... 12 hrs, no discomfort. That same brand make many different models. Some look identical, but are of different colour. They are NOT the same. Got to stick with the green ones, DAMHIK.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Lite-Plugs-Uncorded/dp/B0036231TG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1348975670&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+plugs+howard

Hope it helps,

Thanks for the link

I also have small ear canals and regular earplugs just don't get in or hurt like mad after a few minutes. One day I randomly tried these below and now use them on every rides. On one ride they were in so nicely, I kept them in all day... 12 hrs, no discomfort. That same brand make many different models. Some look identical, but are of different colour. They are NOT the same. Got to stick with the green ones, DAMHIK.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Lite-Plugs-Uncorded/dp/B0036231TG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1348975670&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+plugs+howard

Hope it helps,

Mine are too dirty to clean; thanks for the link to some new ones.

MultiTec

Yep, mine too, lots of noise, I certainly use earplugs. I have an old Arai that i use for test rides after tune-up, its way quieter. So, it does seem like a modular issue, at least with the Multitec.

The Concept-3 Schuberth is claimed to be one of the quietest helmets - modular/full-face/whatever. What they did to make it this way is they include a neck collar to seal off the bottom of the helmet.

It is the quietest helmet I've owned, although there is some slight whistling from the top vent - but I suspect that's bike specific, it's right about where the air coming off the top of my windshield is.. if I duck down 1" - it's instantly quieter.

Shoei qwest is the quietest helmet I've experienced by far. Very nice helmet for the riding position of the rt but not sure how that relates to the other bikes. It doesn't move air as well as others but it very quiet.

Data

Look here for some actual tested data regarding wind noise: http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm

One reason things seem noisier now is you (we) have already incurred noise related damage. :ear

Personally, the Schuberth C-3 is the quietest helmet I've experienced, but earplugs are still worn.

Silence!

I did not think it was possible. Normally I get quie a bit of noise using my Shoei Neotec and custom plugs, but less than older helmets by a lot.

Then, riding in the hills in northern PA on US 15, I was in a notch, 70Mph, and silence!

Did not last long but the noise must come from side wind direction. Interesting experience for sure.

If I pop open the chin vent on Schuberth Concept the wind noise makes a flying leap-even with ear plugs

Yes, and this is something making the 1970s comparisons apples/oranges.

There were no helmet ventilation features on '70s helmets.

I wore half helmets for a while, with noise isolating (rubber bulb) earbuds. Wind noise, to include noise transmitted through the earbud cord and through the earbuds, was brutal, and likely contributed to marked decline of mid range hearing in my left ear. I can't really tell it, but when I was tested it was a big deal to them. So I (for reasons including but not limited to noise) started wearing sensible helmets, earplugs, and over-the-ear earphones. I'm about to switch back to noise isolating earbuds without plugs, as I think the half helmets and exposed wires were the problem moreso than anything else. My shoei full is much quieter in very windy conditions (cross/head winds). In moderate conditions, there's little difference between it and my nolan modular.

Back