Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Oil Analysis Update?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I wonder just how many real oil refineries there really are in the world - I mean those that can produce high-quality lubricating oil?
    I wouldn't think oil refineries are in the business of producing lubricating oil as a final product. Isn't that what oil companies, ie blending companies like Spectro, do? They take all the various stocks and stir in their favorite additives.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I wouldn't think oil refineries are in the business of producing lubricating oil as a final product. Isn't that what oil companies, ie blending companies like Spectro, do? They take all the various stocks and stir in their favorite additives.
    That's my point exactly. They pretty much all start with only a few variations, and then by their own standards add what they want to make their "brand." Also, each one varies on particular applications. My bet is that the only major source variation is non-synthetic vs synthetic. I think only an extremely large companies can afford their own refineries. The rest purchase from them and produce their own formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    Look on the bottom of the bottle, there's a BP logo (Castrol).
    Correctomundo...here's a picture of the bottom of a bottle of dino 10w40 BMW oil.OilBottom.jpg
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

So, I'm doing an oil change on the recently rebuilt RS and referred back to this oil analysis as a guide for my oil selection options. This was a very informative effort, Kurt. I've referred to these results a couple of times when servicing my bikes over the past year. Speaking as a scientist, there's no substitute for quantitative data. Thank you for your effort and making this available to us!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Back in post #66:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....l=1#post834622

I indicated I bought the book titled "Which Oil?" by Richard Michell. I finally got a chance to go through it. I found it interesting to understand oil development since the early beginnings of cars. He also used vehicles that he owns (old vehicles) to go through a process of determining which oil he would select in those vehicles, based upon recommendations in the owners manuals for those cars (for oil which doesn't exist today) and translate that to an oil that is on the shelf today. Pretty nerdy stuff.

But I read some interesting tidbits that led to "ah ha" moments for me, or provided a point of view that I hadn't considered. These were some of them:

- multi-viscosity oils increased in popularity as a result of the 1973 oil crisis...better oils meant better gas mileage
    - lubrication is all about moving two surfaces relative to each other and having the oil keep them apart; this cannot be maintained at two spots during engine rotation, at the top and bottom of the stroke. For a relatively short period of time, there is no movement.
    - engine components such tappets and cam followers really require an oil viscosity that is too high for the rest of the oiling system, so compromises have to be made
    - these situations are what's called "imperfect lubrication" and this is what ZDDP does, to provide the necessary protection during these periods
    - oils contain dispersants which keeps particles in suspension. They also keep soot during combustion from forming large particles, otherwise the particles will get too large and create havoc in the oiling system. Seeing oil turn black is the soot being dispersed.
    - for this reason, he recommended that detergent/dispersant oils be used in engines without filter systems, such as the pre 1970 bikes. This way they don't create problems with the bearings by getting too large. The downside is that the particles are too small and won't settle to the bottom of the pan, leading to the need for slinger cleaning.
    - use of "active" sulphur in gear oils should be limited when copper is involved in the drivetrain. "Active" means that it is soluble in the oil.
    - synthetic oils can be produced all chemically or they can be blended with mineral oil. Chemical synthetics are very shear stable (ie, it retains its viscosity over time) because there are no added viscosity improvers...it comes naturally with the make up of the oil.
    - in the 1960s and 1970s, oils had poor shear stability, starting out with good viscosity but it degraded over time. The polymer chains added as viscosity improvers either became aligned in one direction or they were cut into smaller chains from the engine components.
    - the idea of using diesel oils in engines seems like a good idea because they contain a goodly amount of ZDDP. However, the formulation of that oil is for a working environment that is much hotter than a gas engine situation. Thus if a diesel oil is used, the effects of the ZDDP might not get released because the temperature is not right.