Thread: Airhead Seat Help!

Airhead Seat Help!

Hi guys,
    I found a couple of nice saddles/seats that I like for my 78 R100S, but the problem is that they're for Airheads with the smaller gas tank. The front of these seats is about 2 inches longer than mine(measuring from the front of the pan to the hinges and overall length). Has anyone ever had a seat modified by having the front of a seat shortened to fit airheads with the bigger fuel tank? Thanks in advance!

Loren
    1978 R100S Smoke Red Metallic

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

78 s seat fittment

Keep looking. Seats to fit your S (ass?) are not that hard to find. Get the right seat, easier and cheaper than trying to modify one that doesn't fit.

Friedle
    77 S
    amongst others
    Ride fast safely

In 1978 there was only one size gas tank.

You're apparently looking at /6 tanks, none of which will have the rear cowel nor ability to accommodate the rear tool box your S came with.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Shorter seat.

Last year I ordered a seat from MOTOBINS for my 84 R80 RT which had the cowling with the sloped area at the rear for a little tool compartment. They were supposedly made 'wrong' and they gave me a chance to buy the German one and didn't bother asking for the first one they sent.
    The problem was that the first one was about two inches too short so I could see the battery box. That gap might have been because it was made for a bike like yours. I could send a photo of the seat with measurements if you like. Maybe it would serve your purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by SGRIMSON View Post
    Last year I ordered a seat from MOTOBINS for my 84 R80 RT which had the cowling with the sloped area at the rear for a little tool compartment. They were supposedly made 'wrong' and they gave me a chance to buy the German one and didn't bother asking for the first one they sent.
    The problem was that the first one was about two inches too short so I could see the battery box. That gap might have been because it was made for a bike like yours. I could send a photo of the seat with measurements if you like. Maybe it would serve your purpose.
    A photo of your seat would be great, thank you!
    1978 R100S Smoke Red Metallic

SGRIMSON and jettagli16v - please continue this discussion off the forum...using your PMs and/or exchange emails. Buying/selling/trading/etc are not permitted on the forum.

Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!