• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

intro and questions

beater

hello - a little introduction and some questions

I have a wonderfully built frankenbike (no self flattery, one of my best friends built the bike) r65. It's an r65 with a 100gs motor, with a short geared 80 final drive.

The bike has been in the family so to speak since 83, and I am now the second owner.

I am trying to identify the fairing as my buddy doesn't remember where he got it, and I have confirmed it's not a rifle or a bcw. It really looks like, and I have heard of a bmw factory "s" screen for the 65. It fits a factory style mount, and has turn signal holes.

It's made of fiberglass, and I can find no markings on it, without removal. Bottom line, I need a new screen for it. This was built as a second ride for his ex, and she dropped it in the driveway, cracking the screen.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

johnny

Attachments

• WP_000057.jpg
    WP_000057.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 158
It really looks like, and I have heard of a bmw factory "s" screen for the 65.

As far as I know this is the only OEM fairing provided with the R65

BMW+R65LS+with+Motometer+instruments.1.jpg

another angle

r65ls.JPG

Last edited:
The OPs picture does look similar to the BMW OEM cockpit fairing option that was available, but it isn't quite it.

You can go toan online parts fiche, like at Max BMW, and see the fiche part and part number - they are no longer available though and doing a search won't turn up parts that are NLA. It was offered in various body colors and had different part numbers based on paint. One of the numbers is 0546 63 1 240 823. But if you plunge into the R65 (up to 1985) parts fiche you can find it in there.

We have a member on the bmwr65.org forum who has one of these on his bike, but I cannot get a link to a picture of it.

methylene chloride will solvent bond the crack to get you through until a new one can be had. Cared needs to be taken to ensure it does not dribble where you don't want it. Best to do the repair with the cracked area perfectly horizontal and apply solvent with a syringe just enough to wet the surface.

Tradeshow booth guys are really good at bonding plastics together cleanly or machine shops if they have had experience with them.

mabe a Pichler? not OEM of any variety, as only the LS cockpit fairing was offered in that general design.
regardless, try Gustafsson, or possibly MRA to make/have a replacement.

sigh.

For the edumakation of the masses -
1978-1985R65bodyparts.jpg

Note that the small fairing (option available for R65 and R45 as they didn't have the 7.8" headlight) is NLA. The OPs has the same shape around the healight, but it extends too far back toward the handlebar ends to be the BMW OEM unit.
That must be a fun bike to ride, though - that R65 frame handles twisties so much better with its fork/triple clamp setup, and with the extra torque from the larger engine I bet one could make it really move!

Last edited:
@boxermaf -
Thanks, I knew I wasn't nuts.

As for the bike, it handles as well as it can for being 30yrs old. my track twisty bike is a highly modified 94 ducati 900ss so well comparison for me is tough lol

It is an absolute joy though, as it truly can "do it all"
Full Spec list:
1982 r65 frame
hi comp 100 motor
progressive fronts with heavy weight oil
rear koni's (sadly not remote res)
metzler lazertech's
3" rise bars

Needs a steering dampener badly with that fairing on there. It is VERY flickable though, and I have already found the limit of the metzlers. Too bad they don't make pilot powers in that small size...

I need to sort the carbs this weekend though. I want to put a frame mounted fairing on it, it gets damn windy up in the mtns here, and having a fork mounted fairing is scary sometimes in the gusts.

ah, live and learn.

so if you're thinking of getting a frame mounted fairing for it- why not just go in that direction, and save the cost of replacing the windshield?

ah, live and learn.

so if you're thinking of getting a frame mounted fairing for it- why not just go in that direction, and save the cost of replacing the windshield?

Yeah, this is not my first time at the rodeo, but there are short term and long term needs ya know? I have a line on a pichler, but we'll see. The pichler looks just like a ducati in the 90's, which isn't bad, but I already have one of those... lol

j

pichler made a pretty good quality fairing, i had one on a K75. however, they do not like to make contact with the ground. damhik.
it did get warm riding behind it on a K75, it would be "a bit" warm on an airhead, i would think.

maybe modify a Ducati SS/CR fairing?

Back