• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

piston rings, nikasil

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
I did try search, maybe I did it wrong.

bike in question, my friend steves 86 R80 Rt with compression down in one cylinder by about 30 pounds. OIl squirted in brings it back up , not fully, but up.
leak down confrims its in the rings. He jsut finished a 4k road trip and used more oil than he expected to. so when the winter hits we might do an upperend overhaul. Before the trip it was only down about 20-25. The bike now smokes a bit
I say might because he is debating moving up to a k bike and is concerned that we will get into this one, and have to do heads, which can run 300+l
so I am pricing out parts for him for him to decide what to do. so he might not put rings in. I told him, it would sell better if we did. even if all we did was hand lap the valves. in the years I have been helping him, we have seen no valve recession
bike now has approx 70k
engine 5+ years back ran witout oil, bike parked and sold.

4 years back , pan dropped, cyls pulled and all inspected and put back togthere wiht just new gaskets and seals . ( By steve,his first major job, thas when we met)

going on line to max etc, the rings alone would run about 85 a side.
(160 for pair)
rings from motobins would run 58 plus shipping for both sides

years back I did my bike using Deves rings, approved for nikasil, but they run about 100 for both sides. since then I have heard negative about deves.

so what is the recomended set to install, is motobins rings ok, is there another line/brand we can look into ?

I went with the Motobins rings a few years ago with no problem, for my 1981 R100RT nikasil. Same MFG'R . Goetze I believe.

Back