• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Senna SMH10

sloride

I've been thinking about getting Senna SMH10.

The Senna page states "Water resistant for use in inclement weather"

Has anyone had any experience with Senna in the rain? How does it do?

Great feedback !

Thanks to everyone . I really appreciate the feedback from riders who have actual experience.

I'm looking forward to upgrading into the tech world of communication.

I'm planning on pairing the Senna with smart phone and possibly a GPS, neither of which I have yet.

It's all new to me:dunno

A little off topic but I've seen a lot of mentions on Sena's site to initiate conversations to tap the jog dial. Is the Sena a PTT system? Is there a VOX feature for the intercom part? :scratch

Our Scala TeamSet Pro is VOX or you can start or end conversation by tapping the button. But the Scala only allows one external Bluetooth connection and it looks like the Sena allows multiple.

A little off topic but I've seen a lot of mentions on Sena's site to initiate conversations to tap the jog dial. Is the Sena a PTT system? Is there a VOX feature for the intercom part? :scratch

Our Scala TeamSet Pro is VOX or you can start or end conversation by tapping the button. But the Scala only allows one external Bluetooth connection and it looks like the Sena allows multiple.
Either way, you can set the Sena for vox of tap only

I've just returned from a trip up around the Great Lakes where it rained on us most of the nearly 3,000 miles over a week. Three of us using SMH10B's and we left the intercom channel hard open all day (not VOX) and had no problems with battery life or the rain.

The Sena SMH10 does fine in heavy rain, even on an unfaired bike. . .took a pair to the maritimes this summer and got hammered with rain for a week. . .had no problems of any kind, for that matter. Amazing intercom distance for Bluetooth. . .. very easy, intuitive, switched flawlessly with both Droid and iPhone for calls and music, as well as Garmin GPS (Zumo 350LM). We got a little over 2 days of riding (15-18 hours) between charges.

With the Sena SMH10 you tap to initiate a call to another headset (number of taps selects which one of up to 3 other headsets) and it's VOX for the call. The VOX shutoff to terminate the call after a period of silence doesnt work very well at speed unless you have very quiet helmets. . .it's fooled by roadnoise, so you usually need to tap again to end the call (or else ride with an open mike and share your courteous and appreciative comments about other motorists with your companions) .

+1 on Sena

Great and very water resistant product. Rode in rain for a week with no problems, pairs easily with iPhones, other units and so forth. Excellent customer support.

Usual disclaimers.:dance

My ipone 4s updated to turn by turn directions with the latest software update, and I'm sure it would probably work fine, until you are in an area with no cell phone coverage (like all the fun twisty mountain roads). It will also be using up your data plan as it updates position while you ride. Seems ok for a quick look at the map, but for turn by turn directions, I'm sticking with a satellite based GPS. Just my 2 cents.

My ipone 4s updated to turn by turn directions with the latest software update, and I'm sure it would probably work fine, until you are in an area with no cell phone coverage (like all the fun twisty mountain roads). It will also be using up your data plan as it updates position while you ride. Seems ok for a quick look at the map, but for turn by turn directions, I'm sticking with a satellite based GPS. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input john

I'm curious about the amount of data that would be used on average for a 1000 mile trip. Just a rough number so I have some idea what to expect.

I guess if I lose coverage I would go to the paper maps unless I decide to get GPS

It seems like a lot of people are using the iphone,Senna combination . I may go with that especially after hearing so many comments about the Senna performing well in wet conditions

Smartphones aren't great motorcycle navigation devices --cell coverage being a big reason, also cost (especially for travel outside the US or near a border), small screens, water penetration, etc, etc. Get a GPS if you want ongoing navigation.

Smartphones are good for route planning/intermittent access to services/weather/info/staying in touch, and they're better MP3 players than most GPS's are. My point--if you're looking for a comm system, get one that will work with whatever smartphone you're using, but this wont substitute for a separate GPS. A comm system that can talk to both phone and GPS independently is a good solution; this enables phone-headset communication not just for calls but with the smartphone features like Siri or other voice-controlled apps. If your smartphone is connected through the GPS, I believe you'll lose the option to talk directly to the phone (other than during a call).

If you use on the apps that preloads map data then cell/data coverage is no longer an issue. I find my phone harder to see on the bike than a gps though. Plus you have to modify your glove (or take it off) to use the phone touch screen on most phones. Lastly, I notice my phone gets warm in the sun on my 1200GSA. Part is probably air flow from the oil cooler too, but some phones with shutdown if too hot.

So, I'd say yes, you could do it. Play around with some of the free apps somewhere where you have data plan coverage first and see if you like it. I think Waze is on both Andriod and iOS and is free. They have added (or are adding) routing. On Android just use the google maps, which now will cache map data so if you create the route and preview it before you head out then it will already be on the phone and won't need a data connection.

Garmin also has apps for both platforms, but I haven't tried them. Too cheap to spend money on nav apps since I have a couple of working gps's. That being said, I guess I have bought Motion X drive for my ipad.

Smartphones aren't great motorcycle navigation devices --cell coverage being a big reason, also cost (especially for travel outside the US or near a border), small screens, water penetration, etc, etc. Get a GPS if you want ongoing navigation.

Smartphones are good for route planning/intermittent access to services/weather/info/staying in touch, and they're better MP3 players than most GPS's are. My point--if you're looking for a comm system, get one that will work with whatever smartphone you're using, but this wont substitute for a separate GPS. A comm system that can talk to both phone and GPS independently is a good solution; this enables phone-headset communication not just for calls but with the smartphone features like Siri or other voice-controlled apps. If your smartphone is connected through the GPS, I believe you'll lose the option to talk directly to the phone (other than during a call).

If you use on the apps that preloads map data then cell/data coverage is no longer an issue. I find my phone harder to see on the bike than a gps though. Plus you have to modify your glove (or take it off) to use the phone touch screen on most phones. Lastly, I notice my phone gets warm in the sun on my 1200GSA. Part is probably air flow from the oil cooler too, but some phones with shutdown if too hot.

So, I'd say yes, you could do it. Play around with some of the free apps somewhere where you have data plan coverage first and see if you like it. I think Waze is on both Andriod and iOS and is free. They have added (or are adding) routing. On Android just use the google maps, which now will cache map data so if you create the route and preview it before you head out then it will already be on the phone and won't need a data connection.

Garmin also has apps for both platforms, but I haven't tried them. Too cheap to spend money on nav apps since I have a couple of working gps's. That being said, I guess I have bought Motion X drive for my ipad.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

At this point I have enough info to make a decision, I'm just procrastinating a bit:). I'll probably go with the Senna,iphone first then decide if I need a GPS

The carrier( Bluegrass cellular) that I use doesn't have the iphone 5 or the Samsung 3

but comparing what they did have iphone 4s and Samsung galaxy s2 I decided on the Samsung. I'll have a chance to give it a try on my trip to Florida tomorrow

Awesome device!

We have three of these and love them. Mine has been in hard downpours several times, two of which lasted over four hours and it worked great! I use mine all the time with my Motorola Droid Razr for GPS, music, phone calls, etc...and it works without issue. :)

Two things you'll appreciate with the Sena SMH 10: 1) It works flawlessly, paired with the GPS and the iPhone and all, and, 2) You actually CAN operate it even with thick gloves, it's so simple with the big wheel and only one button. I've had a Midland unit and I still have the integrated com on my Nolan helmet, and there is no contest. You can't even FEEL the buttons on either of these com system. Sena wins by a mile.

Back