Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Senna SMH10

If you use on the apps that preloads map data then cell/data coverage is no longer an issue. I find my phone harder to see on the bike than a gps though. Plus you have to modify your glove (or take it off) to use the phone touch screen on most phones. Lastly, I notice my phone gets warm in the sun on my 1200GSA. Part is probably air flow from the oil cooler too, but some phones with shutdown if too hot.

So, I'd say yes, you could do it. Play around with some of the free apps somewhere where you have data plan coverage first and see if you like it. I think Waze is on both Andriod and iOS and is free. They have added (or are adding) routing. On Android just use the google maps, which now will cache map data so if you create the route and preview it before you head out then it will already be on the phone and won't need a data connection.

Garmin also has apps for both platforms, but I haven't tried them. Too cheap to spend money on nav apps since I have a couple of working gps's. That being said, I guess I have bought Motion X drive for my ipad.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by dwyandell View Post
    Smartphones aren't great motorcycle navigation devices --cell coverage being a big reason, also cost (especially for travel outside the US or near a border), small screens, water penetration, etc, etc. Get a GPS if you want ongoing navigation.

Smartphones are good for route planning/intermittent access to services/weather/info/staying in touch, and they're better MP3 players than most GPS's are. My point--if you're looking for a comm system, get one that will work with whatever smartphone you're using, but this wont substitute for a separate GPS. A comm system that can talk to both phone and GPS independently is a good solution; this enables phone-headset communication not just for calls but with the smartphone features like Siri or other voice-controlled apps. If your smartphone is connected through the GPS, I believe you'll lose the option to talk directly to the phone (other than during a call).
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    If you use on the apps that preloads map data then cell/data coverage is no longer an issue. I find my phone harder to see on the bike than a gps though. Plus you have to modify your glove (or take it off) to use the phone touch screen on most phones. Lastly, I notice my phone gets warm in the sun on my 1200GSA. Part is probably air flow from the oil cooler too, but some phones with shutdown if too hot.

So, I'd say yes, you could do it. Play around with some of the free apps somewhere where you have data plan coverage first and see if you like it. I think Waze is on both Andriod and iOS and is free. They have added (or are adding) routing. On Android just use the google maps, which now will cache map data so if you create the route and preview it before you head out then it will already be on the phone and won't need a data connection.

Garmin also has apps for both platforms, but I haven't tried them. Too cheap to spend money on nav apps since I have a couple of working gps's. That being said, I guess I have bought Motion X drive for my ipad.
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

At this point I have enough info to make a decision, I'm just procrastinating a bit. I'll probably go with the Senna,iphone first then decide if I need a GPS
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

The carrier( Bluegrass cellular) that I use doesn't have the iphone 5 or the Samsung 3

but comparing what they did have iphone 4s and Samsung galaxy s2 I decided on the Samsung. I'll have a chance to give it a try on my trip to Florida tomorrow
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Cool Awesome device!

We have three of these and love them. Mine has been in hard downpours several times, two of which lasted over four hours and it worked great! I use mine all the time with my Motorola Droid Razr for GPS, music, phone calls, etc...and it works without issue. :-)

Hammam
    Two things you'll appreciate with the Sena SMH 10: 1) It works flawlessly, paired with the GPS and the iPhone and all, and, 2) You actually CAN operate it even with thick gloves, it's so simple with the big wheel and only one button. I've had a Midland unit and I still have the integrated com on my Nolan helmet, and there is no contest. You can't even FEEL the buttons on either of these com system. Sena wins by a mile.