• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve setting 100cs 1981

blackbeauty

:scratch:scratch100cs 1981. Valve settings?
Doing my 30k all fluid service and preparing to set intake & exhaust clearance. I've got a new Clymer (10&20mm) and a real old Clymer (15&20mm) along with the original booklet that indicates after break in (10 & 15mm). I'm thinking of following the old booklet with intake of 10 and exhaust of 15mm. Why all the in consistency from one edition of the same book and then the factory booklet? Is there any advantages to one of these setting over the other?

Thanks,
Herb

Herb; I'd go with new Clymer due to the gas we have to use. Also my 1977 100/7 runs a little cooler with intake at 15. Can't really say why but after the first 150,000 miles I'm not gonna change it.
Also Have to admit to owning a Oil Head Rt and like the comfort for 2 up but there is nothing better than an airhead when out on the road alone.

Herb; Sorry.... should have said 'Old Clymer.' I'd go 15 intake and 20 exhaust. Been doing it since 1978 on my 100/7.

Herb; Sorry.... should have said 'Old Clymer.' I'd go 15 intake and 20 exhaust. Been doing it since 1978 on my 100/7.

This is what my R75/6 owners manual recommends. 6 & 8 Thous or 15 & 20 mm, whichever suits your fancy. Most of us in this neck of the woods use these gaps for the valves.

mmm mmm .... 20mm is almost an INCH.

Methinks you're referring to .15mm (.006") and .20mm (.008")

+1 on Noisy valves save lives!

mmm mmm .... 20mm is almost an INCH.

Methinks you're referring to .15mm (.006") and .20mm (.008")

+1 on Noisy valves save lives!

BMW changed the spec at least twice.

Early airheads were specified at .10mm (.004") and .15mm (.006")

Later airheads were then specified at .15mm (.006") and .20mm (.008")

Later the latter specification .15mm (.006") and .20mm (.008") was back applied to the earlier bikes.

When Oak Okleshen rebuilt a set of heads for me he advised .006" intakes and .010" exhausts for the first several thousand miles - then .006" and .008" would be OK.

Intake & exhaust settings

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and sharing the expertise. I'm going with the .15mm intake & .20mm exhaust settings as most suggest.

Back