• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

true barn find R100

Compared to some of the stories and photos that bike looks almost showroom new. Did the project screech to a halt or only the updates?

sorry to keep you hanging

Compared to some of the stories and photos that bike looks almost showroom new. Did the project screech to a halt or only the updates?

Just checking the forum for the first time in a while...LDB...thanks for the gentle prod to finish my restoration story! between finishing my project and going riding and getting out the habit reading the forum when the site was down for a while, I never finished this thread. I did post some picts of my paint job in progress but not sure what happened to them...

well, here is the results of my efforts: a few notes...ended up ditching the collector box and replacing with a Keihan H pipe. After a frustrating exchange with Tom at EPCO; getting skunked by Keihan, and too broke to get Staintuned, I ended up with Sito mufflers...they look and run fine, but would be open for suggestions for how to modify the innards to get a deeper bark from them. Ended up with a new Hagon monoshock with red springs to match my new color scheme. This unit rides very smoothly. After some initial bar fitment issues, found a used pair of R90 euro bars that fit just fine (thanks David). Ditched the stock "dash" and rigged an ignition switch on the headlight clamp behind the fairing. Polished up the SJ top clamp, bar clamps, and steering tube nut. Silicone plug wires from Motorrad Electrik. Replacement peanut valve covers (repros), SS front brake lines custom made at Oil Filter Service. Replaced the front caliper seals and had them powder coated. The Shorai batter conversion has worked fine, but the LED turn signals took quite a bit of wiring/resistor/flasher troubleshooting (and many blown fuses!) to get dialed in. Seat was made by Ginger at New Church Moto in Portland. Cafe seat pan and bikini fairing are from Boxer Cafe and bolted right on. Reshaped front and back stock fenders with a jigsaw and flap wheel on an angle grinder. BMW "pepper white" paint by Aaron Walker and hot rod style pinstriping by Mitch Kim here in Clackamas Oregon. Motorrad roundels from SJBMW. New Dunlap tire in the front. And thanks to Jim in Parts at Tigard BMW for ordering all my misc. cables, gaskets, nuts and bolts, etc...not a drop of oil leaks now. She rides like a dream...so light and quick compared to my 1980 R100RT...When I ride her, I have a permanent grin and turn lots of heads. 20130201_155810.jpg20130201_155848(1).jpghope to ride her to the Rally in Salem this summer! Thanks for all the support during the process.

Wow, what a sharp looking bike. Congrats on such a fine outcome. You seem to be short several photos on this end though.

Looking good, Michael. :thumb

The cases that came with it will be snapped up by some GS owner. The original fender placement was hilarious.

Your build time has to be the shortest that I've seen here, or at ADVrider.

I really like how the red shocks/calipers/plug wires sort of set it off. Very nice. Pinstriping is very nice as well.

Great job, Bravo!
:clap

Just for grins I parked it in the "Bike Judging" area at the rally. The judges liked it and created a new category: "Best Cafe Racer". Judge confided that it was technically not the best cafe cause there was so much unoriginal stuff on it, but he was a sucker for red, and gave me the first place medal !

My first rally....what a blast!

Back