• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

true barn find R100

mysteriousfish

Looky what followed me home today...ok, i brought it home in a trailer...1991 R100 mono...pretty rough condition...60k miles...but I have a vision!....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??.... (and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)

Attachments

• P1010470.JPG
    P1010470.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Mbs

"Three" seems like a reasonable number. . .Of course, "four" or even "five" would be even MORE reasonable. . .

Just looking at the picture of your new baby starts my juices flowing. . .and you are going to have a lot of fun over the winter months. Turning that "20-footer" into a nice shiny ride that is going to amaze your friends and humble your enemies is surely one of life's great pleasures.

A love for motorcycles isn't "about" motorcycles -- it's about passion, and that is one of the major elements of living a long and happy life. The SO will eventually come around in the face of this irresistible force, and peace will reign, yea, verily.

Walking Eagle

Thak bike looks to be in great shape. It will be worth the effort to get it going again. I've just spent the last 6 years fiddling with a bike that I finally got to ride this past weekend. (with LOTS of help from EVERYONE) I hope to keep and ride it for a long time now. I wish the best for you and your new project!

Only 3? I have 13, my wife quit nagging me years ago, just gave up. The deal was you keep them out of the garage so I can park my car and I don't care.

I have a shop to keep them in, so everyone is happy.

The slash 7 and mono shock Boxers are my favorite bikes(+R90S), followed by the super smooth
K75 Flying Brick. What a great find. How about more pictures as you clean up the bike?

thanks for all the support and encouragement.. Walking Eagle your comments put a big grin on my face this am....amen

Cleared our some mice and mud dauber nests in the tail section last night....can't wait to get the tank off and see what might be living in the airbox!

Next step is to get a steam cleaner and knock off about 1/4" of accumulated dirt, manure, oil, and road grime off the engine block to pinpoint what appear to be multiple oil leaks....will certainly share photos as I progress....time for a new tub of hand cleaner!

rode it to work this am and discovered a new concept for me...heated handlebar grips...sweet!

rode it to work this am and discovered a new concept for me...heated handlebar grips...sweet![/QUOTE said:
Congratulations! Just be careful how far you ride your new prize. Although it's a BMW, any bike sitting around a long time is going to have some surprises in store. I noticed your front rotor looks rusy - I bet your tires are in pretty old & hard too.

Looks like a great bike to bring back to life & ride. Enjoy & Congratulations!

A bottle of simple green, several cheap brass brushes and scotch brite pads, and it looks like the only problem is the neutral switch leaking profusely...hope to change it out this weekend.....

realized the PO installed the front fender backwards...when I went to switch it back discovered a bad cut in the front tire...so no more riding till I can get a new front tire...while I have the wheel off, may as well do the head bearings, and fork oil and well, here we go...better .take care of it all....

excited, tho....packages from boxer cafe and dime city arrived today...gonna experiment with some fiberglass stuff...see what happens...will post some picts as I get underway...good to get the creative juices flowing!

Looky what followed me home today...ok, i brought it home in a trailer...1991 R100 mono...pretty rough condition...60k miles...but I have a vision!....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??.... (and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)

Yes, it is normal.

(and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)

Next time I buy half a pig, I'll have to pick it up myself, rather than having it delivered. That way I might get lucky, bike wise, as well.

How was the duck?

Keep the pics and posts coming. It's always interesting and fun to watch the progress of getting an older bike roadworthy again.

Nice score. I too have the same bike. BMW only made 163 of these in 1991 and only for the USA market. It was called the R100 Classic.

....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??....

Just remind them of their Jewelry, purse, clothing, and shoe collections. Usually you don't get kick-back after that comment. My latest oilhead came from a reduction in my wife's jewelry collection. Right now I've got my eye on my wife's Coach purse collection. There's a nice mint-looking airhead locally.

Oh...I am SO thankful my wife doesn't read this forum.

How was the duck?
Came out excellent...crispy and brown...used thehungrymouse.com recipe...still have leftover duckfat for frying spuds etc...

Ya I said the bike was rough cause it was caked with years worth of oil dirt road grime...thought many seals were leaking etc...but was really pleased to clean her up and see it's not so bad afterall....

Here is a shot of my engine clean-up job in progress...Since I am doing a "semi-cafe" conversion, I was not worried about keeping the stock color scheme...Used Eastman chassis paint for frame touch ups and aluminum engine paint for the front and top covers and airbox...the rest is just scotchbrite and elbow grease....thinking of a Dover white paint scheme for the tins...

I know many traditionalists will hate what I am doing, but I am having a blast!...besides, I have my RT to keep stock while I have fun with this one! I did decide to keep the fuel and vent solenoid shed system and stock airbox breathers, but ditched the pulse air paraphernalia...

I know it is gonna run better, cause the air intakes and filter were clogged with bird feathers...

Attachments

• 20121112_163554.jpg
    20121112_163554.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 353
Beautiful Job. . .

Keep the updates coming, please. This stuff is candy for any of us crazy enough to spend hours and hours cleaning and polishing these old mechanical marvels as if they were diamonds. . . and NICE job on the engine.

Those bamboo shish-kabob skewers that can be found at any grocery store might prove useful to you. One package will last you a lifetime - these things are tough as nails. Already pointy on one end and they will NOT damage anything on a motorcycle. The bigger brother of these skewers is a set of bamboo chopsticks, also very useful when you need something stronger. Sit on your roll-around stool, put on some music, and you'll soon find yourself breaking out in happiness, known only to the lucky few.

Also, if you trim the "non-pointy" end flat like a blade, these work very well for spreading silicon, mixing/spreading epoxy, packing electrical fittings with grease, and so on. And, you can even use them to make shish-kabob when you're all done and are sitting down to dinner while looking at your bike, now clean enough to park in the living room.

The one caution about using these is that you have to clean them up a little to rid them of splinters that might get into lube or into sensitive places; that said, for digging out that last little bit of crud on engine cases, Bings, Snowflakes -- all aces.

No affiliation with the Bamboo Skewer Manufacturer's Cartel and Cabal.

Walking Eagle

got the Shorai lithium cell installed on the subframe...tins off to paint. still waiting for H pipe from Epco...yeah, been there done that...

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 244
Back