• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75, center stand, side stand lube

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Off looking at yet another potential 4th Gen 4Runner I noticed a Harbor Freight tool store across the way. I stopped in and was handed a load of coupons by someone leaving, including ones for $10 torque wrench and $10 lever grease gun. Walked out with those two and an assortment of other things I sort of need :)

I stopped and got a tube of synthetic grease and this morning attacked the side and center stand. Well, it took all of 30 seconds. There are three zerk fittings I could see, one on the side stand and two for the center. Couple pumps on each, just until the grease starts squeeging out. It had not been done in a while, certainly not since I have owned it, and is easily overlooked. The early k bikes did not have zerks so check yours before proceeding.

My '87 K has these grease nipples which making lubricating the stands an easy task. Why did BMW not do that with the stands on my '98 R1100 (as well as not including the K self-cancelling turn signals?. :dunno

Last edited:
While my '94 also has the zerks installed mine were too gunked up or dried out to take any grease---I installed new zerks and now it's a breeze to lube the stands.

Thanks for posting this reminder; preventive maintenance never hurts (except in one's pocketbook sometimes).;)

Some models have a small conical recess machined into the stand(s) that take a pointed grease gun fitting instead of a traditional zerk.

On some models you are supposed to take the bolt(s) out and grease things. Duh!

On these I just dribble in/on oil instead of using grease.

I wish I had grease nipples ( not *greasy* nipples - c'mon!). My 1990 K75 just has the conical recesses and it's awkward to get the lube in there to say the least.

I suppose this winter I could take it all apart, drill and tap some holes where the conical depressions are an install some "zerks" as you call them. That sounds like a fun little project.

Lord knows both my stands could stand a bit of lube.

I wish I had grease nipples ( not *greasy* nipples - c'mon!). My 1990 K75 just has the conical recesses and it's awkward to get the lube in there to say the least.

I suppose this winter I could take it all apart, drill and tap some holes where the conical depressions are an install some "zerks" as you call them. That sounds like a fun little project.

Lord knows both my stands could stand a bit of lube.

or, just buy the pointed grease fitting that PaulG mentioned.

Paul,
BMW made a lot of things worse when they introduced the R1100s. Not only didn't they get self-cancelling turn signals, but the horns became a joke, too. The tool kits seemed flimsier, and when you wanted to get at on the side of the road, you had the pleasure of dropping your seat onto the dirt because they no longer flipped up.

Paul,
BMW made a lot of things worse when they introduced the R1100s. Not only didn't they get self-cancelling turn signals, but the horns became a joke, too. The tool kits seemed flimsier, and when you wanted to get at on the side of the road, you had the pleasure of dropping your seat onto the dirt because they no longer flipped up.

True, but they also made a lot of things better. That droppable seat was 3-way addjustable on the RS. The handlebars were adjustable both for and aft, and angular. The windshield was also adjustable by turning a knob. No fuse to blow - no motor to stick.

...and, some models, like the R11S, retained the self-cancelling turn signals.

Tony- i would say that all your gripes are valid (in that those issues could have/should have been addressed), but relatively minor in tehir significance.
overall, the oilheads as a complete bike were light years ahead of the airheads that they replaced (better brakes, better suspension, better handling, better motor performance, etc.). and, they offered a nice alternative to the K-bikes.

For stands with the conical holes, I have found that this inexpensive small Harbor Freight Grease Gun fits perfectly.

image_13798.jpg

Back