• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

USAF Museum Dayton, OH

gene36542

I stopped by for a visit 9/21 and my bike enjoyed the company of a 1200 GSA & an 1150R... just wondering if you'd like to say hello?
Gene

I stopped by for a visit 9/21 and my bike enjoyed the company of a 1200 GSA & an 1150R... just wondering if you'd like to say hello?
Gene

Wasn't me, but what an awesome facility!

Free admission (government site - automatic) and such historical aircraft, including all the Presidential planes!

IMAX, gift shop, missles, etc. - have been there several times with my son (about a day and a half motorcycle ride from here in WI) - always worth it.

Hope you enjoyed all that history in one location! :usa

I'm about 20 minutes away on the other side of town. Love the WWII aircraft, Fock-Wolf 190, Mosquito, P-39, P-38, amazing place.

Rode there last year over Labor Day Weekend. Such a great museum, would love to go again sometime. Not too bad of a ride, though it was hot when we were riding through Indiana.

Thanks for the virtual tour link, it was cool. I was there 30 years ago, it seems all new since then. The XB-70 was parked outside then. It looks like a good excuse to take a road trip.

I've been there a few times. Flew there once and rode my K75S there once. Was there when there was only one hangar and the XB70 was outside, then when there were 2 hangars and the XB70 was inside, now there are 3 hangars, so need to make it back there again.

Did you know: the B36 had to be put in the hangar before the end walls were put up, as it wouldn't have fit through the hangar doors?

The same could have been said about the B52, except the B52 has a system that allows it to "crab" along it's path, to allow it to land in pretty significant crosswinds. They crabbed the B52 in at an angle so it went through the door which I understand is narrower than it's wingspan (unless they were just showing off!).

My favorite is probably the B58 Hustler.
Convair_B-58_Hustler_USAF.jpg

If you liked the Wright-Patterson museum then try the one at Bluegrass AP in Lexington,KY-not nearly as good/big but a nice one at that. Located on a road back behind the main building. Also, in my hometown , Topeka, KS, the Combat Air Museum at the former Forbes AB is a really good one & of course the air museum @ Pensacola is super, if not the best one of all! Lots for kids to engage in too.
We took our 3 sons to the Dayton museum when small(my uncle lived/worked nearby then) & one ends up a career pilot, ya never know?

I have a property that you can use for caming that is within 20 miles of the WPAF Museum. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to use the facilitys.

Wright-Patt is the best. But next time any of you are that close? Come to the Clermont County A/P and check out the Warbirds Museum. About an hour south of W/Patt

Not near as large but neat to see just the same. As the name implies, all retired military planes.

I LOVE THIS MUSEUM.

Maybe next spring.

The B58 is beautiful. It looks fast.

It or the XB70 are the best looking planes.

Rod

Back