• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can not remove oil filter

Holy Smokes!!
Seeing the images of the tools required to get an oil filter off frightens me! The lack of maintenance required to get things to that stage is pretty scary.:bolt

...Or, lack of knowledge on how much torque is needed to seat an oil filter.

That didn't seem to make a difference on my stuck filter that was torqued to the specified 11 Nm (8 ft.lbf.).

Using the appropriate grease on the oil filter seal solved the issue.

Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong,stupid or incorrect to have a part that's hard to remove,including oil filters & other stuff. The reason experienced persons were able to chime in on this thread is that they had to do the same with "experienced" being the operative word not otherwise. To accurately torque an oil filter with no solid attachment via the wrench plus throwing in a rubber seal is not a perfect world of torque values. I do the Fred Flintstone, screwdriver abuse(I used to show this GM film,r.e.,how not to use tools) thing too, when needed.

That didn't seem to make a difference on my stuck filter that was torqued to the specified 11 Nm (8 ft.lbf.).

Using the appropriate grease on the oil filter seal solved the issue.

Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong,stupid or incorrect to have a part that's hard to remove,including oil filters & other stuff. The reason experienced persons were able to chime in on this thread is that they had to do the same with "experienced" being the operative word not otherwise. To accurately torque an oil filter with no solid attachment via the wrench plus throwing in a rubber seal is not a perfect world of torque values. I do the Fred Flintstone, screwdriver abuse(I used to show this GM film,r.e.,how not to use tools) thing too, when needed.

Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong, stupid or incorrect to have a lack of knowledge about the torque of a filter either. Don't look for a fight where none exists. I've had plenty of parts that seized during there normal service life too. I've also seen, and I'm sure you have too, people put 100 ft/p of torque on a filter or a drain plug.

Heck how many of you have seen an otherwise competent person remove the trans drain plug by mistake during an oil change?

I've also seen, and I'm sure you have too, people put 100 ft/p of torque on a filter or a drain plug.

Sorry, I haven't seen that, but I have seen countless times cheap f--cks who reuse a twenty-cent drain plug seal over and over and wonder why it doesn't seal. Their solution, torque it some more till it stops dripping...and they wonder why it stripped. :rolleyes

Sorry, I haven't seen that, but I have seen countless times cheap f--cks who reuse a twenty-cent drain plug seal over and over and wonder why it doesn't seal. Their solution, torque it some more till it stops dripping...and they wonder why it stripped. :rolleyes

Yeah, I've definitely seen that too. In my "parts guy" days, we used to give out free sealing washers whenever a customer was doing his own service. We can't make him use them, but we did what we could.

As a "service guy", I would get perhaps one customer every other month who, while trying to save money by changing their own oil, removed both the engine oil plug AND the transmission reservoir plug. "What do I do now?" they would ask. "Tow it in. The transmission is not customer-serviceable." The permanent trans fluid is expensive stuff too, so they usually would be pretty angry by the end of the day. :banghead

A BMW rider thats cheap??? Hmmmm :whistle

Had a recent experience with my '11 Mustang GT oil drain bolt. I had the dealer do the 2nd oil/filter change about 6 months ago but this time I decided to do it. I had one H of a time getting the drain plug out. I laid into it with a half inch ratchet for all I was worth. After breaking loose I had to continue reefing on the wrench until the drain bolt was all the way out. The idiot had most likely used an impact air wrench set for wheel lugs when he installed the drain bolt which actually distorted the drain threads on the pan. This just pissed me off sooooo bad. I went down to the local Ford dealer and told them that if they can't be trusted to do a simple oil change then there is no good reason for me to ever buy local again and I will just shop elsewhere and take the best deal from whoever as local service isn't worth it. These vehicles be they cages or beemers cost a lot of bucks and high time these service folks wake up! My '04RT which i bought new has never been touched by a dealer shop in all 40K miles. Come to think of it neither has my pristine '94 R1100RSL with only 1.5K original miles.:doh

Back