• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can not remove oil filter

sy308moa

The filter has been on for many years. I can't get it to turn. Even turned bike on the side to help get leverage. Suggestions???

The filter has been on for many years. I can't get it to turn. Even turned bike on the side to help get leverage. Suggestions???

If your wrench isn't slipping, get a longer bar. If your wrench is slipping coat the inside with something abrasive like valve grinding compound. You could also drive a long strong screwdriver through the filter case at the correct angle so you had better leverage but that's tricky.

I mean no disrespect but make sure you're turning it in the correct direction. You might also try tightening it to break it free.

Last edited:
IF the filter wrench is slipping, put a rag inside the filter wrench, then try. Using a longer also sounds like a good idea. Maybe both of these together might loosen it for you. Good luck. Let us know your final solution.

That happened to me when I first got my bike.

1/ You have to apply torque below the filter so you need a spacer.
2/ You need a positive connection to the filter that will not tear out or slip.

I used 2 screws, I've seen guys put 5 in.

This is medieval and ugly and crude but it worked so well I wondered why the oil filter socket didn't work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31927430@N06/4294258918/http://www.flickr.com/people/31927430@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31927430@N06/4293508161/http://www.flickr.com/people/31927430@N06/

Use to loosen only, tighten with this bad boy and you'll have way more trouble next time. :D

You could do the same basic thing as Mike but using the standard filter wrench by drilling a few holes in filter wrench and then inserting screws thru the holes into the filter.

Holy Smokes!!
Seeing the images of the tools required to get an oil filter off frightens me! The lack of maintenance required to get things to that stage is pretty scary.:bolt

If the oil filter socket wrench is slipping over the facets on the filter body, drill 6 holes in the filter socket wrench and insert six 1/4" sheet metal screws through it into the oil filter.

You are turning it counter clockwise?

Next time, use some Dow Corning High Vacuum grease on the oil filter seal.

P7080233-M.jpg

P7080236-M.jpg

Then again I suppose it might not be lack of maintenance but just over zealousness with the tightening. ??

I had to use my above mod to loosen an oil filter that was torqued to spec when it was installed.

The seal was bone dry even though it was coated with oil when I installed it. Its why I now use a grease compatible with rubber on the seal instead.

If the oil filter socket wrench is slipping over the facets on the filter body, drill 6 holes in the filter socket wrench and insert six 1/4" sheet metal screws through it into the oil filter.

You are turning it counter clockwise?

Next time, use some Dow Corning High Vacuum grease on the oil filter seal.

P7080233-M.jpg

P7080236-M.jpg

Jeez Alex.
Nice job. All holes de-burred and none look as though they've been used, I'm guessing you took the pic before scratching them up.
Mines just like yours but I at least I used real wood.

Jeez Alex.
Nice job. All holes de-burred and none look as though they've been used, I'm guessing you took the pic before scratching them up.

I have two oil filter wrenches (one here and one in Europe) and modded both of them after I needed to...once. Since then, I use DC High Vacuum grease on the seal. ;)

Mines just like yours but I at least I used real wood.

I already had the Hazet oil filter socket wrenches.

Thanks, guys. Will try the rag first, then with screws into filter. Looks like will need to bring the wrench inside to the drill press and modify it. Lots of good ideas. Will try tomorrow for the filter again. Let you know as soon as I have it off. Rainy today anyway so not good for riding here.

Thanks, guys. Will try the rag first, then with screws into filter. Looks like will need to bring the wrench inside to the drill press and modify it. Lots of good ideas. Will try tomorrow for the filter again. Let you know as soon as I have it off. Rainy today anyway so not good for riding here.

If you punch a hole to start a screw into the filter can oil will drain out of the filter. Be prepared to catch the mess.

If that filter has been in there that long, rust or even perhaps dirt/grit/small rocks may be stuck between the case and filter. If that is the case try to have a look and get the debris out with compressed air or slim metal to pry it out. Your efforts will be futile if that crap prevents the filter from turning. Just another thought from my brain.

4 screws

I used 4 6-32 screws to mate the base to the filter wrench, and
then 4 screws to go from the wrench into the filter, and, a longer handle on my wrench, which came from a hand jack.

So, Sy... What is your ride, and what's the verdict?

Is it a Boy or a Girl ? Hahahaha.....

Had to get a laugh in after all of this about oil filter wrenching, b/c it took me two
trips to the auto parts store, drilling out the filter holder, photos, emails, and at least 3 phone calls to fellow riders b4 I got my problem solved.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Jim

Update on the filter. Rag trick did not work. I needed to use the drill into filter trick. I took my filter wrench and drilled 6 holes corresponding with the 6 rounded areas in the periphery and threaded machine screws into it. With the bike still upright, I used a 90 degree adapter on my drill and drilled a single hole into the bottom of the filter, while the bike was on the center stand. Oil came out but not all of it in the filter. The bike was laid on its side after a while. I pressed the filter wrench with the screws onto the filter and tapped it with a hammer in order to punch marks into the filter to facilitate drilling. In retrospect, I might have drilled another peripheral hole initially because more oil came out as I drilled the 6 holes into the filter. The wrench was placed and all 6 screws were tightened. I used a socket wrench, a short 3/8" extension and the BMW lug wrench as an extension on the handle of the socket wrench to move the filter. More oil came out. The filter slowly moved but the gasket was stuck to the engine and no longer on the filter. I did not want to reach into the cavity with anything sharp, so I used the second filter by tightening and loosening to move the first gasket. Tightened the filter and put the fresh oil in. I really appreciate the help. The screw trick worked well. Makes me wish for aircraft type filters with the socket nut welded onto the filter. It was lots of extra work to make this happen. Thanks again.

Back