• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No iPhone 5 thread?

bigdelta

:scratch
OK,I'll go 1st.I got mine this morning and am pleased so far.My 2nd iPhone so hopefully I'm not a full-fledged fanboy yet.

Poorme.
I still have the 3gs. I may upgrade soon, though.
I did download os6 to the phone, though.
Have you tried the map yet?

My 2nd iPhone so hopefully I'm not a full-fledged fanboy yet.

I don't know, you got it the first day it came out. Sounds a little fan boyish. I can't talk though, I had iOS 6 the day after it was available. I used to work for AT&T and when the iPhone first launched I said I wouldn't own one, I left the company an bought a 3Gs and now have the 4S. Apple does a great job with their devices and the platform is decently stable.

I don't know, you got it the first day it came out. Sounds a little fan boyish. I can't talk though, I had iOS 6 the day after it was available. I used to work for AT&T and when the iPhone first launched I said I wouldn't own one, I left the company an bought a 3Gs and now have the 4S. Apple does a great job with their devices and the platform is decently stable.

You have to love the new Samsung commercial with the folks waiting in-line at the Apple store! If I worked in a place where I could use a cell phone, one of these "smart" jobs might be nice.

I've had a Verizon basic cell phone for years because it has the best coverage in my isolated mountain terrain. I've always gotten the "free" phone upgrade every two years. My battery went bad in my old phone the other day and I went to Verizon to do my upgrade. The "free" upgrades were all some form of smartphone that required a $40 or more package. I don't want or need a fancy gadget that may or may not work were I go (just calling is iffy) so I declined. Instead, I spent $3.72 and got an OEM battery from E-Bay.

You have to love the new Samsung commercial with the folks waiting in-line at the Apple store! If I worked in a place where I could use a cell phone, one of these "smart" jobs might be nice.

Hits me as way too much in the way of sour grapes, not to mention why should they even bring up their competitors. Stupid.

If you do get the iPhone 5/6, the aluminum is very soft, get a case ASAP. This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFKVq36Hgc&sns=em

Mine's on the way: ZhengZhou, China 09/22/2012 1:42 A.M. Origin Scan

Last edited:
used one of these for years to make poletop phone calls...doesn't do digital so it's a cute art piece now

So it was YOU that ran your hook through my cable? :fight

Actually that phone would work, IF you could find a line that still carried dial tone. So many people have switched to cellular/VOIP that about 85% of lines are totally unused. In the mid '90s, most areas had a shortage of lines due to demand for dedicated dial-up modem lines. These days a phone man is as useful as a buggy whip maker...

Larry

So it was YOU that ran your hook through my cable? :fight

Actually that phone would work, IF you could find a line that still carried dial tone. So many people have switched to cellular/VOIP that about 85% of lines are totally unused. In the mid '90s, most areas had a shortage of lines due to demand for dedicated dial-up modem lines. These days a phone man is as useful as a buggy whip maker...

Larry

I'm hanging on to telco provided dial tone as long as I can, despite their daily FIOS mailings. I figure they've spent about $60k trying to sign me up.

If history proves true, I will wind up with the I5 at some point. However, initially, I am a bit too irritated with Apple to make the switch.

Why?

I5 will not fit the Ram Mount on my bike.
I5 will not accept the Powerlet cord on my bike.
I5 (without $29 adapters) will not fit any of my 4 Bose sound dock systems.
I5 will not fit the charger in my car.
I5 will not fit the sound docks, clocks, chargers, etc that are in virtually every hotel room I stay in.

I wonder how many $29 adapters I would buy and lose?

Unless I plan to stay with the 4S forever, I suppose I will give in at some point, but right now, NO!

PS: I did download the new operating system the first day it was available.

I can't justify the expense of a smart phone, especially an iPhone. I'm just not cool/popular enough to need one. It's like any other electronic gadget. You're wasting so much money buying it when it's brand new.

I'm still using the phone I got when I renewed my contract in 2009. Judging by others spending habits, I've "saved" $1000+ by not constantly upgrading.. but I just blew the savings on motorcycle parts anyway.

I'm totally happy with my I3something, and swore all I wanted was a phone that could call and get calls until our daughter put us on her family plan and got us the Iphone. The ability to see real-time weather radar while traveling on the motorcycle makes it very, very nice. I don't do much except phone calls, weather radar and Accuweather but living on the bikes in the summer makes those apps worthwhile.

Now, it sure would be nice if cell service worked where we live, but it doesn't.

Hits me as way too much in the way of sour grapes, not to mention why should they even bring up their competitors. Stupid.

If you do get the iPhone 5/6, the aluminum is very soft, get a case ASAP. This is why:

I have a Motorola something with no camera and a dying battery. It would be nice to get something with GPS and no camera, but that doesn't exist.

But, I still like the Samsung commercial. I'm now going out to the garage and put some nice rounded edges on rectangular objects just to infringe on the IPhone design. It makes me feel good.

I like the softer, pliable silicon cases over rather than the hard cases. Those phones are thin enough that they fumble easily. I've bounced mine a couple of times. The case has done a super job of protecting it.

I like the softer, pliable silicon cases over rather than the hard cases. Those phones are thin enough that they fumble easily. I've bounced mine a couple of times. The case has done a super job of protecting it.

Have a Speco case on the 4, will prolly go Lifeproof on the 5.

"iPhone 5, the 6th iPhone from Apple" :dunno

Back