• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help with on road tire repair

Tubeless tires I understand.

I have had the best luck with the black or brown "gummy worm" type plugs that come in a plugging kit at almost any auto parts store. I like the kind labeled for belted radial tires because they are resistant to cutting if a tire has a steel belt. Get the kit with T handles if you can, and if you have room to carry them because they are easier to use than the kits with tools with screwdriver type handles.

I heard Paul describe this same stuff at one of his tech seminars at Sedalia (sitting in an air-conditioned building that was quite cool :thumb). I still went and spent the bucks for the stop and go tire repair kit and a more expensive pump. Then I could kick myself when I see the parts Paul described at KMart, etc for just a few bucks and also a portable air pump for $10 that was going for 30-40 at the rally.

Pays to listen but it would have paid better if I would have waited and got the stuff at KMart. :banghead

The kits do not come with enough cartridges and carrying enough takes more space. 6 little one or 4 larger ones are what you'd better have if you even think about depending on them.
Better to carry a pump like most of us do BUT be darn sure to test if by fully inflating at least 1 totally flat tire before trusting it. Many, especially the off brand cheapies, will blow breakers, overheat and burn out or quit, etc the first time asked to do the full job. Just testing to see if they work while plugged in briefly is not a good enough test...

Tire Repair

I use the same as Paul, Wallmart T handle kit with the gummy worms. Never not worked. I have a small compressor from Best Rest to inflate the tire. I usually have to fix at least one flat each year. Yopu should also carry a small set of side cutters to remove the nail or screw.

Back