• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Restore an original?

J

James.A

I have been advised by my friends locally who are vintage bike nuts, that it would be a sacrelige to restore my R27. The bike shows a little over 12,000 miles at this point, and I have no reason to believe that it is not accurate. The opinion is unanimous. One guy told me that "the bike is only original once."
It has 2 dings in the front fender, and some rough touch-ups, particularly on the pinstripes. Most rubber parts have been replaced due to aging. Opinions please.

I was channel flipp'n a while back, and stumbled onto a vintage bike auction at Las Vegas or some other fancy-schmancy location and they discussed this very topic. They said that an original unrestored bike with normal wear, and sometimes extreme wear will bring more money than a perfectly restored bike.

The reason was that the history of the life and wear and tear of the particular bike was more interesting to a collector than what it looked like brand spankin' new.

When I thought about it a little, I think I agree in most cases. On the other hand it would be nice to have a pristine example. With the stable of bikes that you own, theres no reason you can't have BOTH. I guess I'd look them all over and decide which ones to zig or zag on. If it's a bike in average or better condition, I'd probably be inclined to leave it alone cosmetically other than clean and shine, and focus on the mechanics.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment that the "patina of age" is priceless. I think only basket cases and barn finds should be restored. In fact, I'm leaving my "barn-find" R75/5 in original condition. (Not really a B-F, but my brother's garage find. Neglected 10+ years nevertheless)
I think it's "nice, unrestored" condition totally adds to it's charm.

If you really want to restore a bike, find one to rehabilitate. It saves one from the junk heap and doesn't negate all your years of keeping your current bike in good shape.

And fwiw, the auction Boomyr mentioned is really a blast. A good reason to come to Vegas in late Jan/early Feb if you can swing it. Really NICE bikes can be had for $1-5K. And you can drool on some $50K+ iron. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the '74 Bultaco Alpina in a crate that was offered last year. It ended up going for something like $3750. Paul Macartney's Honda CB125 (?) went for a little over $5K IIRC, WITH Paul's original registration.
Really a low key and fun event. And a Moto-education in it's own right.

Las Vegas Auction

I went to the Mid America Vegas auction this year to give (im)moral support to my friend Bob, who was interested in some very old Britiron. I took a lot of photos of the bikes that were present, over 400 if I recall correctly.

http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/2005BobsFolly.php

I agree with dlearl and boomyr that from a collector's standpoint it's probably better not to restore a bike. The older and rarer it gets, the poorer condition it can be in and still be worth leaving original. For me, I'm more interesting in riding the bike than showing it or having a museum. I restored my /2 because it was a total basket and had been painted straight black. I haven't bothered to do that for my /3, even though it has a poorly done (and incorrect) paint job because I'm having too much fun just riding it around. Maybe someday...

R69US Resto

I bought a '68 R69US in Granada Red last year from the original owner; sheet metal and paint were rough (boiled battery, other dings) and so I decided to do a frame-up resto. John Landstrom castigated me, saying an original red /2 should be preserved. I've rece3ived other comments that it would be "worth more" in the original livery, but it's going to be worth more TO ME as a nice, clean, shiny daily driver with upgrades (i.e. 12-volt system, etc) to make it more reliable. About 1/3 done with it now, beginning to reassemble.

Roger said:
I've rece3ived other comments that it would be "worth more" in the original livery, but it's going to be worth more TO ME as a nice, clean, shiny daily driver with upgrades
And there you have it. It is, after all, your bike, to do with as you like. And no one can gainsay what pleases you!

DarrylRi said:
And there you have it. It is, after all, your bike, to do with as you like. And no one can gainsay what pleases you!

Spoken like a true Black Sheep, as it says on our patch

"Its your bike, do what you want"!

Ode to My Rat Bike

I once sat on a rat,
And yes I still do.
ItÔÇÖs offensive to most,
But then so am I, too!

I ride it all day,
Through the mud and rain.
ÔÇ£Why not wash itÔÇØ you ask?
ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs too much of a painÔÇØ!

The frameÔÇÖs slightly bent,