• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I like the Schuberth C3, but

Actually - not. The have certified ONE flip-face (about 3-4 years ago.. forget the brand but it wasn't a big name brand. Search WebBikeWorld for details - I believe that's where I read about it. They tested/approved it as an open-face helmet.)

Why don't they do more? The manufacturers of the flip-face helmets haven't submitted and PAID them to do the testing.

That's the hook. In order for them to test a helmet, someone has to pay for the testing. Typically - that's the manufacturer. If the manufacturer sees no marketing gain by paying for the testing, there isn't a lot of incentive to do it. Considering how popular Schuberths are in the US even at a very high price point, I can't imagine why they'd consider paying for Snell testing, especially if Snell is going to test it as an open-face helmet.

I recall an article in MCN where Dave Searle dissects Snell for being a joke of a product evaluation and certification organization. I'm going to have to go through my back issues and find it again.

What I do specifically remember from the article was Searle's observation that Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked. They'll test 'em with the face portion up, but they won't test 'em with the face portion down - you know - how we wear them when we're riding.

I'm willing to bet that the EU/Germany has far stricter/tougher standards than do our government agencies, and that their standards make our standards look silly by comparison.

What I do specifically remember from the article was Searle's observation that Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked. They'll test 'em with the face portion up, but they won't test 'em with the face portion down - you know - how we wear them when we're riding.

Yet Snell claims the opposite... that modular helmets will be tested to the full face helmet standards, not the 3/4 standard. Here's a quote from http://www.smf.org/docs/headsup/headsup29

The Foundation is ready to accept submissions of flip-up style helmets and will hold them to all the same test requirements set for traditional full face headgear. The chin bar will be tested for rigidity, the face shield must withstand the pellet penetration tests and, of course, the helmet must provide all the impact protection we demand of every full face and open face motorcycle helmet. Drinking coffee and cleaning eyeglasses without removing a helmet is very appealing but the Foundation is not ready to give up any protective capability for the convenience.

For the record I personally don't care if a helmet I buy has a snell rating. It's not something I look for. My current helmet happens to be snell rated. The helmet before that didn't. I care more about fit, finish, and the size of the eye port. A bigger eye port is better for me. That used to mean using a flip-up. Now the "dual sport" helmets seem to be best for that particular metric.

Snell did a lot for their credibility when they revised their standards in 2010(?), but it's still not a priority for riding. If I was still racing cars, I would demand a Snell rating.

I ride with a Shuberth C3 but I also have a snell rated helmet for the drag car. NHRA requires it.

I talked with the Snell folks at the San Mateo Moto show last week and asked about modular helmets. With respect to "Snell refuses to test flip-face helmets" this is false. With respect to the article noted in this thread regarding "Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked" this too is false. I asked them about their testing methodology, specifically their requirement that a helmet take "multiple blows to the same spot." Snell expects modular helmets to be able to take two succesive blows in one spot and another one at another location without the face section unlatching. Two blows in the same spot seems real life plausible. Finally the Snell person I talked to mentioned that there was one well known modular manufacturer that was close ".....very close" ....to passing their test.*

So with all said and done, I think I'll hold off on the C3 for the reasons noted and the fact that a $700 helmet without Snell certification just seems too high. Plus I would really like to have double D ring option. After all, what's good enough for MotoGP is good enough for me.

Contact Schuberth in California. They'll replace it. Bet for free too..

I did contact Schuberth and they replaced it with a S2 liner for free. It feels slightly better, but the cheek pads still do not fit correctly under the liner. I am now starting to regret spending $700 for a helmet.

The best motorcycle I can own is made in Germany.

A large part of what has made Germany the acknowledged leader in the automotive world is the presence of TUV, the regulating body. (And speed limitless autobahns).

A made in Germany and certified in Germany helmet seems pretty good to me.

I used to own the old BMW System II helmet that I have been told was made by Schuberth. I loved that skid lid. Replaced that with a AGV, and that was replaced with a Nolan. The Nolan is a noisey helmet.

My new C3 is very, very tight, but the next size up is to big. Anybody else have this problem?

My new C3 is very, very tight, but the next size up is to big. Anybody else have this problem?

Yes.

Back in the day of the first Schuberth helmets (C1?) I was ready to own one based on trying a friend's. Trouble was, his was a direct import from Europe and when these helmets arrived for USA sale with DOT certification they were gigantic in comparison. I'm talking about the shell.

I've managed to import BMW System Helmets ever since and am now wearing a System VI.

Rather than Small/Medium/Large, etc., the system helmets are available in at least 7 different sizes.

I've got my III, IV, and V on display and have apparently buried my I and II somewhere in storage where I can't find them.

Attachments

• L1010316sm.JPG
    L1010316sm.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,018
Ickchris,
My C3 was tight in the cheeks also, laid helmet on its side put a 20lb bag of shot inside left it their overnight repeated for other side. No more tight cheeks

A different experience with Schuberth linerr

I did contact Schuberth and they replaced it with a S2 liner for free. It feels slightly better, but the cheek pads still do not fit correctly under the liner. I am now starting to regret spending $700 for a helmet.

With a new C3 liner denting my forehead, I called Schuberth and was told that buying a S2 liner to replace it would probably help. At my own expense. Not what I expect in higher end higher cost product.

With a new C3 liner denting my forehead, I called Schuberth and was told that buying a S2 liner to replace it would probably help. At my own expense. Not what I expect in higher end higher cost product.
They did send me a free liner, but I can't wear my helmet silk anymore (helmet fits really tight).

I decided against the Schuberth C3 after looking at the Sharp ratings from the UK.
The C3 did poorly on side impacts. I went with the Shoei Neotech and I am very happy

Dave

The following F1 pilots wear Schuberth: Schumacher, Alonso, Rossberg.

Danica Patrick wears Schuberth.

Attachments

• danica_helm.png
    danica_helm.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,224
Anyone experience the sun visor dropping down on their C3, when it's not supposed to?

My wife wants to get me one for Christmas.:clap

Thanks for the input. We went to the dealer today and I got a ...

Shoei Neotec. :D

It was more comfortable than the C3, and I was impressed with the ventilation system. The air scoop looks like the intake on a Snark.

Oh yeah, and I got the high viz flat black. :D But all of these helmets (including the RPHA Max, which I also tried on) are light.

Back