Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1993 K75S -- Extending the mirrors?

1993 K75S -- Extending the mirrors?

I am sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find any definitive info, so here goes. What is the best/easiest way to extend the mirrors on a K75S. I am getting tired of looking at my shoulders and having to do gyrations to actually see what is directly behind me. The mirrors are fine as side view mirrors (especially with small convex mirrors attached) but not much good as true rear view mirrors. Suggestions????

Thx,
    Gordy

PS: I think I read somewhere that the mirrors designed for the R1200ST will fit a K75S without any tinkering and give a better view. Any truth to that???

Moondog
    I own a K1100RS and I have thought about installing a stem type mirror on the handle bar. If I remember correctly, there are two un-used holes on either side near the switches or some where in there. I am not sure if the K75 has that set up also. I also have been looking for a solution and the other option that is getting cheaper is the rear view cameras. I would only use something like that on trips when the bike is loaded and completely blocks my mirrors.

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic...4b426cca4a2bcc

Go see this thread and it shows the threaded hole

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    I own a K1100RS and I have thought about installing a stem type mirror on the handle bar. If I remember correctly, there are two un-used holes on either side near the switches or some where in there. I am not sure if the K75 has that set up also. I also have been looking for a solution and the other option that is getting cheaper is the rear view cameras. I would only use something like that on trips when the bike is loaded and completely blocks my mirrors.

Go see this thread and it shows the threaded hole

The K75S uses those holes to mount its mirrors.

I have a friend that installed bar end mirrors on his K75S for the very reason that the OP states.

Similar to: http://www.mklsportster.com/r100s/r1...-%20mirror.jpg

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Exclamation Here's the solution:

R80GS or R80ST mirrors---what I have on mine and they work. Don't know why this hasn't been brought up before or at least more often. The stock mirrors must have been designed made for Mr. Thin Man or Mr. Invisible!

Try the ST mirrors; you'll be able to see what is actually behind you.
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Pics of my K75S, which I sold, you can definitely see how much more the mirrors extend out, although it is the older "flatter" style of mirror head. Not sure which model but probably what the previous guy said, i know it was a similar year R bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Those are the ones!

Thanks for posting that photo Gilly (and nice bike, too!)---those are the same mirrors I'm using. There might be other model airheads that these mirrors were used on but I know R80STs for sure.
    ---Jeff

Extended Mirrors

Use mirrors from R1100GS. MaxBMW has part numbers on the fiche where they show the mirrors for the K75S.

Might be able to find some used ones at the used parts suppliers.
    Darrell

I have bar end mirrors installed. They look good and work well. No complaints...other than they loosen up over time a bit. The mechanism for keeping them tight is under-engineered.

I wonder if there's a higher quality product out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Lots of bikes have mirror extenders available, as well as long stem mirrors. I know one guy who machined his own, not that difficult.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Try them you'll like them

The nice thing about the R80ST mirrors is that they're plug and play as well as commensurate with the overall style of the K75---they are long enough to see what's behind but do not look out of place (unlike the somewhat goofy bar-end variety).

Don't get me wrong, I like bar-end mirrors on old airheads and cafe racers but don't they seem a bit out of place on a Brick? Just my opinion which I am happy to dispense...
    ---Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Zagando View Post
    The nice thing about the R80ST mirrors is that they're plug and play as well as commensurate with the overall style of the K75---they are long enough to see what's behind but do not look out of place (unlike the somewhat goofy bar-end variety).

Don't get me wrong, I like bar-end mirrors on old airheads and cafe racers but don't they seem a bit out of place on a Brick? Just my opinion which I am happy to dispense...
    I don't think they look out of place personally, but I fully respect your opinion that they do. Functionally and ergonomically, it's a very good solution - which may be why I never considered the aesthetics.

Another better place would be attached to the fairing I think. The RS airheads are set up that way aren't they?
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    I think the round "Mickey Mouse ears" stock mirrors look goofy on the angular shaped K75Ss..

I changed mine to lower rectangular aftermarket mirrors.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I think the round "Mickey Mouse ears" stock mirrors look goofy on the angular shaped K75Ss..

I changed mine to lower rectangular aftermarket mirrors.

Let's have a look then Lee...
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Yes, Jasper, the old RTs and other models had the mirrors built in to the fairing which was functional, aerodynamic and ergonomically pleasing. I suspect that they didn't do that with the K75s as the fairing is either a bit too low or not wide enough (that's only a guess).

I had forgotten about Lee's approach which, like yours, provides excellent visibility. That's really the most important factor in any case, come to think of it.

In an ideal world, the K75 series might have come with Vitaloni mirrors; super-cool futuristic Italian aftermarket mirrors that could have provided a stylistic blend of form and function. I could picture a pair of those mounted on either side of the my fairing.
    ---Jeff