• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Will a 87 K75 motor fit a 85 K100 frame?

NCmotomark

Motomark
Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 1987 K75 engine/trans to a 1985 K100 frame?Seems like it would bolt right up.
Mark

Back when the K75 was introduced, I remember reading that the frames were different because the engine lengths were different; the frames' front "arms" (which reach down to the top front of the motor) have different angles from the steering head.

3 inchs different

Plus 2 for dbrick. The distance from the front motor mount to the back motor mount is "about" 3 inchs longer on the k100. "About" because I couldn't tape in a straight Line.

They put big block chevies in motorcycles, so anything is possible. I don't have a K100 to look at, only my K75 so I am trying to visualize what it may take. The rear of the engine and transmission should bolt right in and correctly position the engine. At this point , you could possibly use flat iron and make an extension of the downtubes that you could bolt to the downtube and to the engine. The big problems are going to be all the little things. If the radiator is left in the original position, the hoses are not going to reach. You will need the airbox for the 75 as well as the ignition system with coils. It could be an interesting project. Keep us posted if you tackle it.

87 K75C
81 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
80 Yamaha XT 500
:usa

They put big block chevies in motorcycles, so anything is possible. I don't have a K100 to look at, only my K75 so I am trying to visualize what it may take. The rear of the engine and transmission should bolt right in and correctly position the engine. At this point , you could possibly use flat iron and make an extension of the downtubes that you could bolt to the downtube and to the engine. The big problems are going to be all the little things. If the radiator is left in the original position, the hoses are not going to reach. You will need the airbox for the 75 as well as the ignition system with coils. It could be an interesting project. Keep us posted if you tackle it.

87 K75C
81 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
80 Yamaha XT 500
:usa

Don't forget that these bikes do not have a cradle frame. The engine casing is a stressed member that completes the bottom of the frame. It takes a little more than affixing the front of the engine in a frame. There are structural issues when the engine is part of the frame.

Yes Paul, I realize that the engine transmission assembly is the main structure of the cycle. I should have been a little more specific in my front engine mount. I would consider something like 3/8" plate cut into a triangular shape with holes on the bottom edge to bolt to the downtube and to the engine. It would need a 3/8" offset in it to allow for the plate thickness . The front leg of the triangle would follow the angle of the downtube and extend several inches up the tube where it would be welded to the tube. This is just a thought. I have built enough things in my shop to realize that what you first perceive in your mind is not what the final product looks like. It is probably easier to buy a good used K75 in the model you want and go ride, but we all need to do a little pipe dreaming now and then.

Back