• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

High mileage F-twins?

royce

Who on the forum is riding a high-mileage F-twin? Would like to hear from anyone with 100,000+ miles, plus a discussion of what problems, if any, crop up when the bike accumulates that many miles.

We can't quite meet that 100K threshold but at just over 82,000 miles on Voni's F800S. In addition to what I call routine maintenance here is the list of items:

1. Replaced drive belt once (should be 2 by now, but ...) Probably routine anyway.

2. Fork seals at 59,000 miles

3.. The belt drive rear axle tube deformed and was loose in the bearings - replaced 61,000 miles.
Note: This appears to affect only the 2007 models.

4. When the axle tube failed it ruined the rear wheel speed sensor - replaced.

5. Alternator stator burned/shorted - replaced with aftermarket - 71,000 miles.

Edit: Whoops - I forgot. It needed a new engine temperature sensor also at 59K.

Last edited:
The only thing I can add to what Paul said is that some folks with the FxxxGS twins are having a bit of trouble with the timing chain wearing out prematurely ... 50K - 75K range ???

I am not sure how big a deal this is .... :dunno

We can't quite meet that 100K threshold but at just over 82,000 miles on Voni's F800S. In addition to what I call routine maintenance here is the list of items:

1. Replaced drive belt once (should be 2 by now, but ...) Probably routine anyway.

2. Fork seals at 59,000 miles

3.. The belt drive rear axle tube deformed and was loose in the bearings - replaced 61,000 miles.
Note: This appears to affect only the 2007 models. ....snip
Not at 100,000 either, just past 70,000 on my RED 2007 F800S and checked my service records on my Excel spreadsheet.

1. First drive belt made it to 39,206 and shed teeth in town so wasn't stranded. Due for another in 10-15 K miles.

2. Fork seals and cam chain tensioner at 65,567. The cam chain tensioner is simple on this bike. It's on the back of the engine right next to the temperature sensor and is hydraulic using the engine oil.

3. My final drive problem was on the other (pulley) side of the axle tube from Voni's. The bearing on the right spun and scored the race. The five fingered pulley mount had to be replaced because a new bearing race could not be pressed into the old scored one. This part had to come from Germany. The axle tube checked out and was not replaced. Did the steering head bearings at the same time as they were notched, 68,834 miles.

Other problems with mine that Voni didn't have.

1. Fuel sensor faulty and replaced under warranty at 25,400, after I ran the bike out of gas three times. (slow learner or just trusting???)

2. Left heated grip failed and was replaced at 61,000.

The rest is oil, filters and tires. The tires on this bike last longer than similar tires on my old and gone R1100RS. The valves have been regularly checked, but are still at the factory settings, that's right, NO valve adjustments since new.

I am very happy with this bike and intend to keep it on the road for a long time.

Hope this helps.

tb

Last edited:
Thx all. Perhaps there are no 100,000 mile F-twins? Yet. I expected some, but if Voni hasn't done it, likely no one has.

Sounds as if the engine is stone-reliable; all the problems have been with the peripherals---possible exception: timing chain issues???

Again, thx to all who have responded thus far. Sounds like I made a good choice for my first BMW.

I had an 07 800S and put 93,000 miles on it and in July of 2011 on the way to the BMW MOA Rally in Penn. the rear shock broke and punctured the gas tank and ruined the belt and was going to cost $3200 to repair so traded it for an 08 800ST which only had 6000 miles on it and then I rode it 23,000 miles and traded it in July for a G650GS which I just turned 7000 miles on; I really like it but not quite as comfortable. Anyway, I loved the 800S and was quite comfortable for me. I replaced the drive belt at 49,000 miles and a shock at 67,000 miles with an Ohlins which is the one that broke at 93,000 miles. I had an idle sensor replaced under warranty. I had the dealer replace plugs and check the valves which they never did need adjusted. Other than that it ran great. It had the Tire Pressure Monitoring system and had to have one of the sensors replaced. I can't think of anything else that it needed other than the first 2 batteries only lasted a year and the first one left me stranded as I thought it was something more serious as the bike just quit going down the road and had the bike towed to the Dealer. The 800ST that I had for a year I had to have the fuel pump replaced ($720) and it still never ran as good as the 800S.

Back