• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'09 F8GS random shut off

bikerfish1100

Just took a call from a friend, on the road in WY. his 2009 F800GS, ~18,000 miles shut off 3 times today. hoping that someone might have a clue as to what the malady is.
as he described it: riding along, on a slight decelration (hiway off ramp, or a stop light in city, etc) at varying speeds and gears, the motor just shuts off. Waits a few seconds and it fires right back up. Only once did he turn the key off/on after the shut down, it started up right away. never a full tank, but never happened with reserve light on either.

thoughts? (my first guesses are wonky s-stand or engine cut-off sw)

2007 F800S (mine) did that, fixed, did that, fixed, did that, fixed, and did that, fixed.

Under Arizona law it was lemon, and NA bought it back.

The 09's had a faulty charcoal canister connection that was fixed on recall. Has this bike had that mod? If not, it sounds exactly like the symptoms I had before the tubings was re-routed and fixed.

I think it is the idle actuators dropping back too low. Maybe a recalibration with a GS911. Maybe a vacuum hose problem.

The 09's had a faulty charcoal canister connection that was fixed on recall. Has this bike had that mod? If not, it sounds exactly like the symptoms I had before the tubings was re-routed and fixed.

I believe that was an issue only under wet/rainy conditions, where one of the hoses allowed water to get in from down low, no? (happened to mine once in riding it home from purchase in D.C.). they have had nothing but dry.

regardless, not sure if it was done, but bike is currently at a shop in ID, so they would have access to that info. they are leaning towards bad fuel as the issue (or so i am told via phone message).

. they are leaning towards bad fuel as the issue (or so i am told via phone message).

With all respect due, that is not a good sign. That translates from German into shoptalk into American English as we don't know, lets blame the crappy American gas. I've heard of this being said a number of times. Eventually changing the fuel injectors seems to solve the problem.

If they mean it got one bad tank, lets drain it, clean it, and fill it that is one thing. If they mean US gas is bad then that's entirely another.

I believe that was an issue only under wet/rainy conditions, where one of the hoses allowed water to get in from down low, no? (happened to mine once in riding it home from purchase in D.C.). they have had nothing but dry.

regardless, not sure if it was done, but bike is currently at a shop in ID, so they would have access to that info. they are leaning towards bad fuel as the issue (or so i am told via phone message).

Bikerfish - yes the recall was to put a "Y" connection in the drain line from the canister with the other connection being a vent line run to high up on the bike.
What was happening was that was getting sucked into the canister during rainy conditions (OR WATER CROSSINGS) and as a result engine vacuum ended up being applied to the fuel tank and eventually the fuel pump was unable to work against the vacuum built up. If the canister is the cause of the stall popping the lid on the fuel tank will result in an INrush of air to the tank (hold a piece of paper close to cap when you open it, sometimes INrush is hard to distinguish from OUTrush).

With the vacuum relieved you could ride on for some miles .... before the condition would re-occur.

Huge thread on the stalling issue here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15923909#post15923909

I just had this issue and so far I believe it has been my side stand switch causing the issue. I have not had any problems yet.

have not heard back from my friend, so i'm thinking things have gotten sorted out. expect their return in a few more days, will offer a status update once it's known.
thanks for all the suggestions- they were passed on to him as "things to check".

Back