• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Auto shutoff

layton

Layton
A friend of mine has a 96 Honda Goldwing. He says that if the bike tips over it automatically shuts off. Do any of the BMWs do the same thing?

no oilheads, Klassic-Ks, or airheads do/did.
can't speak to the newest bikes, but i'm thinking that the S1RR might.

mod- ya wanna move this to Motorrad, or somewhere similar? this is not an oilhead question.

No Auto Shutoff on my 2011

A friend of mine has a 96 Honda Goldwing. He says that if the bike tips over it automatically shuts off. Do any of the BMWs do the same thing?

My 2011 R1200RT does not have an auto shutoff if it's on its side. Like others, don't ask me how I know.

I think most Hondas have this switch built into their electrical systems. I don't know if my 1100S has a similar switch - and I hope to never find out! :D

AFAIK none of the BMW's do.
Probably would be a nice feature to have to protect the engine.
Harleys have them (tilt switches) and they fail occasionally. the bike will start and run for 8 seconds and quit. Fixed one a while ago.

My R90/6 does shut off when you tip it over as the fuel doesn't flow into the carbs. (It flows all over the driveway instead)...........Rod.

Shutoffs of various types are available from racing auto supply place and some vehciels use them stock. There are impact types that cut electric to, for example, the fuel pump on an impact and there are tipover/rollover types also. Adding one to a bike is simply a matter of finding a good mounting point and wiring it into the proper circuit.
Many types have a reset built in.

If I were hunting one I'd try looking where off road racers get their stuff or hunt up the Honda item

auto shutoff

in the early ninety honda recalled the goldwings because if it leaned too much in a corner it would shutoff.

in the early ninety honda recalled the goldwings because if it leaned too much in a corner it would shutoff.

I recall that there were issues of failures to start. It was new to many mechanics and owners and the overlooked the new gadget in diagnosing the problem.

Yes Goldwings have a tip over switch and they go bad, one can hit a pot hole and activate the damn things.

Usally normal riding you never know its there, but just a side stand tip over will activate it.

Back