• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Let's see your 2010+ RT seat and tell me why you love it

Brian-NC

Hey,

I'm thinking of ponying up for a custom seat for my 2010 RT. I'd like some input from this forum with a brief synopsis (and pic if possible) of why you chose the custom RT seat that you have.

Thanks...!

Sargent (front part only) for my '11 RT. A big improvement for rides lasting more than an hour. Firmer than OE for long-term support. Wider and dished slightly in the sitz area but narrow enough at the front so you can get your feet down. Quality materials and fits perfectly. The Sargent folks are great to deal with and the seat was available immediately. Available in a heated version (but you have to swap the electrical plug for some reason). The vinyl cover doesn't match the OE so if that's important to you, get both pieces.

pete

Hey,

I'm thinking of ponying up for a custom seat for my 2010 RT. I'd like some input from this forum with a brief synopsis (and pic if possible) of why you chose the custom RT seat that you have.

Thanks...!

I went with Bill Mayer Saddles, via a ride in. Seat was uncomfortable on my test ride. Told the builder and Rocky (Bill) the same, and they said it was because it wasn't broken in. They covered it, and I went out and put 3,000 miles on it. Called Rocky with the very same complaints as I had the day of the test ride. He said bring it back for a redo. Rode up again and they remade the seat (more like patched it, since the fix was just a few minutes). Did another test ride, and said it was better, but still had two pressure areas. I was assured by the seat builder that the pressure areas would go away when it was recovered, because the foam is then compressed by the vinyl. Seat recovered and they tried to charge me $75 for a redo, even through their website said there's a free redo if the seat isn't right. I was told that only applies to mail orders, but they agreed to not charge me for the remake. On the ride home, the same pressure points that I pointed out still existed. I put another 2,000 uncomfortable miles on the seat, while sending several emails to Rocky telling him the seat still was uncomfortable. He stopped answering my emails and started avoiding my phone calls.

Some have been happy with Bill Mayer Saddles, while others have been extremely unhappy. Unfortunately, I fell in the unhappy column. The thing that I was most unhappy about was his poor customer service..trying to charge me for what the website said was free, ignoring my feedback on test rides, and his decison not to answer my emails or calls when it became apparent that he would be unable to make me a seat that was comfortable (it was then that I asked him via email if he would be willing to refund me my money, or replace my "custom" seat with a stock seat)

I ended up buying a stock seat and going with an Airhawk R and couldn't be happier. So for, I've done multiple 500+ mile days and completely forget that the seat is even there. Getting the air to the proper level took a little time, but I haven't had to adjust it since. Well worth the time and cost.

Love me some Russell

I have an '07 RT, not a '10, but it's essentially the same saddle-wise. I hated the stock saddle and wasn't fond of the Mayer. I've never loved any Corbin I've had. So I decided to take a shot with Russell. Awesome decision. Both my wife and I love it. We got the leather top/vinyl sides with heavy-duty suspension in the 'half moon' style. It's a great fit and very supportive.

I now have essentially zero pressure points or hot spots. We did a 550 mile day in 85-95 degree heat, and had almost no 'monkey butt' - my wife commented how un-fidgety I was. We just wrapped up a 14 day/3500 mile trip, and it's thumbs up all around. My wife says the pillion has more room.

Some minor downsides. It definitely takes some breaking in. 200-300 miles at least. As noted repeatedly here, the shape of the Russell forces your legs up slightly - it's a more neutral riding position, but it makes the bike a good 1+" taller. I'm 6' with a 30+" inseam, and it can be slightly tricky for me. Not a show-stopper, just a factor, esp if the RT is already tall for you. The leather top is very smooth, so it's a little slippery, especially for my wife. She has to work a little more to keep from sliding into me when braking. Also, Russell recommends a rain cover to keep the stitching dry.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

58761_4518597252610_1836807471_n.jpg

I have an '07 RT, not a '10, but it's essentially the same saddle-wise. I hated the stock saddle and wasn't fond of the Mayer. I've never loved any Corbin I've had. So I decided to take a shot with Russell. Awesome decision. Both my wife and I love it. We got the leather top/vinyl sides with heavy-duty suspension in the 'half moon' style. It's a great fit and very supportive.

Nice looking seat. Had the Airhawk not worked for me, I was seriously considering Russell. Seats are a challenging thing... What one rider hates, another loves.

I wanted a Russell until I took Lee Parks course. I now move around too much for the 'wings' on the Russell, I currently have the BMW comfort seat and an Airhawk R. I have done 600 mile days and that would have been impossible without the Airhawk. I want a Rick Mayer seat.

I wanted a Russell until I took Lee Parks course. I now move around too much for the 'wings' on the Russell, I currently have the BMW comfort seat and an Airhawk R. I have done 600 mile days and that would have been impossible without the Airhawk. I want a Rick Mayer seat.

Will the Air Hawks make a big improvement with the stock seat? I was thinking about a custom seat, but am Air Hawk will be more cost effective for now. I have spent a lot of money over the last month since buying the new bike.

Will the Air Hawks make a big improvement with the stock seat? I was thinking about a custom seat, but am Air Hawk will be more cost effective for now. I have spent a lot of money over the last month since buying the new bike.

For me, the Airhawk R has made a HUGE improvement

The Airhawk is amazing for comfort. The only reason I am considering a Rick Mayer seat is that I do move around a lot (read hang off) and the Airhawk feels less solid than a conventional seat when doing so. For comfort per dollar I think the Air hawk is hard to beat. On long rides I wear compression shorts instead of boxers so I am not sitting on seams or wrinkles. The Airhawk eliminates pressure points. You are sitting on a cushion of air so pressure is evenly distributed. If I had tried the Airhawk before the comfort seat, I would not have bought the comfort seat.

2011 RT. Factory seat tortured my inner to rear thigh area. I rode it home from the dealer in two 400-mile days and couldn't walk or sit at the end. I changed to a Sargent and although I haven't done an all-day ride yet with it, I know the pressure is gone from that area of my legs. The Sargent seems flatter and wider, not as much support, but maybe that's the idea, no painful pressure points. Kind of makes you ride in a more relaxed cruiser-like position. And the seat area feels quite large to me, a lot of room to move around.

No question - the 'wings' on the Russell are a fantastic feature, but they do reduce how much you can move laterally. I'm definitely much more stationary in the saddle with it. I ride 2-up with luggage a significant chunk of the time, so my riding style is a bit more sedate; for me, the benefits of the wings greatly outweigh the drawbacks. It took some conscious 'retraining,' but I quickly adjusted to it, and I'm now counterbalancing with my feet and arms and head rather than 'hanging off.'

I still have my old saddle, though, so the next time I'm solo and heading somewhere twisty, I might swap 'em. :whistle

Sedanman - we just had lunch in Beacon, NY on the way home from our Blue Ridge Ride. Amazing little place called Homespun Foods. Great excuse for us 'fly-by' types to jump off I-84 and grab lunch.

I have been down the aftermarket seat route in the past with Corbin and Sargent. While they were both OK I am not sure, for me, they were worth the extra cost.

I am using the stock, standard height heated seats on my 2011 R12RT now and 700-mile days are no problem. I have found that by staying away from cotton and using Exoficio underwear with a liberal dose of anti monkeybutt powder along with good riding pants, BMW City II in my case, work better then anything else.

YMMV

BTW everybody, I have a bead rider seat cover and a "Freedon Air" air cushion seat cover (with a V in the front) dual bladders etc. Both are ok but I'm looking for more. I don't mind the extra $$ for custom seats. In my way of thinking, the beaded seat cover or the air cushion are only going to be as good as the seat they're mounted on and the stock RT seat is a piece of $hit as far as I'm concerned.

I NEVER wear cotton undergarmets and have plenty of anti monkey butt powder.

I've been searching around on the custom seat makers sites and I'm surprised that none have OEM plug ups for the heated seat feature . For $500-700 bucks, I expect more. They all seem to have their own version of heated seat options but not the plug and go from the handlebar switch... kind of a kick in the crotch if you ask me. :dunno

BTW everybody, I have a bead rider seat cover and a "Freedon Air" air cushion seat cover (with a V in the front) dual bladders etc. Both are ok but I'm looking for more. I don't mind the extra $$ for custom seats. In my way of thinking, the beaded seat cover or the air cushion are only going to be as good as the seat they're mounted on and the stock RT seat is a piece of $hit as far as I'm concerned.

I NEVER wear cotton undergarmets and have plenty of anti monkey butt powder.

I've been searching around on the custom seat makers sites and I'm surprised that none have OEM plug ups for the heated seat feature . For $500-700 bucks, I expect more. They all seem to have their own version of heated seat options but not the plug and go from the handlebar switch... kind of a kick in the crotch if you ask me. :dunno

When you have Russell build you a seat, you send them your original seat and they build it off of yours. If your original BMW seats were heated, they use the original elements, plugs, etc.

By the way, I have the seat from my 2011 R1200RT currently at Russell getting built.

When you have Russell build you a seat, you send them your original seat and they build it off of yours. If your original BMW seats were heated, they use the original elements, plugs, etc.

By the way, I have the seat from my 2011 R1200RT currently at Russell getting built.

OOOOOH ! can't hardly wait to hear from you when you get it. Yes mine came with heated seats so that's good to know. Of course, of all the things I use on my RT, the heated seat see's little use.

2012 r1200rt

I bought a new RT back in April and have been researching seats as well. Last week, I had a ride in appointment at Russell and to say I'm happy with the result is a huge understatement. I rode the bike home from Shasta Lake, CA to Moore, OK and the seat is absolutely perfect. I spent 15 hours in it yesterday and if I could have gotten gas, using the bathroom, and ate without getting off, I would have . Great service, great seat, you won't be disappointed and if you are, they will make it right or refund you're money.

Here you go:
CE86C6B2-7CE2-4F6A-9F9C-F9C9607982A7-6356-000004E36FAFDAF4.jpg

DA536919-7BAC-4727-8B29-7A6FB50A1986-6356-000004E367DF44D8.jpg

Back