• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bay Area 1200C?

My son has a 2000 1100RT that needs a tune up so we set up an appointment at the dealer for a week later so the next day he says "Hey Dad, can I take your GS to school?' "Uh, OK but don't crash it!" "Sure, Dad". HE TOTALED IT!! and got a mild head injury to boot. He's OK and Geico is giving me more than I paid for it. Now I'm looking for a new ride and thinking about a 1200C which is more or less like a modern version of my 1971 R60/5. Does anybody in the SF Bay Area have one I could test ride before I go off to Max's BMW in New Hampshire to get the one they have for sale. I'm 65 and the thought of actually taking the GS off road and having it fall over with me on it just doesn't have the appeal it did 40 years ago. It is deffinately a cool looking bike but....

I saw it online

I saw it online but the one in new hampshire looks like a better deal plus it includes the ride accross the country to bring it home. Thanks though for the advisory.:wave

Here are a few from Chromeheads.org that are for sale
closet one to you is here.......

I've got a 1998 Ivory R1200c for sale, It's in fair condition, Was in a crash and has a salvage title. The whole front end has been rebuilt, Rides strong and still runs smooth. and theres only a few scratch's from the crash and a small dent in the tank. Also will need a new seat..
overall it still looks very nice.

Shoot me a offer, Will send pics on request.

Located in Orange County, CA.

hope this helps.....
===================================================

There are lots of Chromeheads members in the S.F. area. Your best bet to locate one is to join at Chromeheads.org and contact them thru the site.

Shoot me a PM and I can get in touch with a very good guy in Mountain View for you. He will be more than happy to share his experiences with you.

....thinking about a 1200C which is more or less like a modern version of my 1971 R60/5. ....

not so much like your /5 as a R1150 or R12R would be like it. just a standard naked BMW. The R12C puts you in a cruiser riding position. unless you have saddle height issues, be sure to look at the standard Rs.

1200c?

Bob, I found their site last night and submitted by app. Thanks I will P M you shortly. Biker fish at 6'5" I found the GS decidedly uncomfortable in seat to leg length and was just in the process of looking to lower the pegs when my son solved the problem. The change in position is why I want borrow someone's bike to try. I rode my sons RT back from Salt Lake when I bought it and was pretty comfortable but the whole bike felt small to me.

Bob, I found their site last night and submitted by app. Thanks I will P M you shortly. Biker fish at 6'5" I found the GS decidedly uncomfortable in seat to leg length and was just in the process of looking to lower the pegs when my son solved the problem. The change in position is why I want borrow someone's bike to try. I rode my sons RT back from Salt Lake when I bought it and was pretty comfortable but the whole bike felt small to me.

at 6'5", i suspect your best "fit" is going to come from a GSA.

Gosh, that must be quite the feeling. I'm 5' 8" and my RT does not feel small!

Back