• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'87 K100 Brake Light Warning

Paul_F

RK Ryder
does not shut off. When only the front brake lever is applied, the brake light comes on. When only the rear brake is pressed, the brake light does not light. The brake light does light when both brakes are applied.

In the meantime, the brake hazard light is constantly on and does not turn off when the brakes are tapped. Where do I begin to fix this problem? Is there a rear brake sensor that needs adjusting and if so, where is it located?:dunno

Sounds like your rear brake light switch is bad. It's located at the rear brake lever behind the peg plate. The wiring connector is along the frame just in front of the coolant overflow bottle.

:dance:dance:dance

The rear switch is somewhat out in the elements and can get dirty and gummy. I have used a light lube like WD40 to free up my switch. Hold the brake pedal down and spray into the switch. The little peg of the switch should pop out easily. Work the pedal up and down and spray the switch until it works freely. Cured my problem. Good Luck!

I believe that he has the newer style micro switch with lever instead of the earlier (pre 9/86 plunger style, like is used on the front brake lever and on the clutch lever).

:dance:dance:dance

Sounds also to me like rear brake switch.

Either type leads a hard life. They rely on metal to metal contact to turn on the brake light and turn off the dashboard "brake light failure" light. New switches work great because they are clean inside. As one guy suggested, solvents sprayed inside like WD40 can sometimes restore the "metal to metal" contact inside needed to work properly. My 85 has the round plunger type on both front and rear brakes and rear one has responded to solvent and "working it."

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Took your advice but no success. I have come to the conclusion that I will need to replace the rear brake switch. :banghead

Back