• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hella De

Any experience out there with hella de driving lights and de fog lights. Thanks in advance, Paul

I've Micro DE fog lights on my GS.

1070257291_g4pt5-XL.jpg

p-20081110-1657-4619.jpg

Good lights. I'm happy with them; happier than I was with the Motolights that they replaced.

Thanks Marc, great photos. How helpful in your opinion at they at night?
Moto lights are great daytime running lights, but pretty limited at night from my experience. I live in a rural area and frequently travel to Canada and sometimes get caught riding after dark. Trying to get the most of the budget and thinking of the de micro fogs and also a pair of hella f550 driving lights connected to the high beam. Or maybe a set each of f550 driving and fog with a total of 7 osram 65 watt bulbs between the stock light and the hellas. Now that's funny ;)

Last edited:
It was the limited use at night that caused me to switch from Motolights to the Micro DE. I was running amber bulbs in the Motolights that had a 12?? beam spread. I had to turn the lights off at night or I'd blind the people in front of me with excessive glare. Or I could have aimed the lights lower, but that would have defeated the daylight conspicuity I wanted.

The Micro DE have a horizontal cut off that make them easy to aim. I keep them slightly below the level if my low beam to illuminate the area directly in front of the bike and the sides of the road at night. There are no issues with glare for people in front of me and they give me the daylight conspicuity I was looking for.

I've not tried the driving lights in either Halogen or HID versions. The only thing I know about them is that the HID version is expensive! I believe the Touratech version has a fog on one side and an HID driving light on the other, plus some Touratech "hard part" bling. It's not needed, IMHO. My lights have yet to touch the ground. Can't say that about other parts of the bike. :whistle

p-20110806-1201-3003.jpg

Have a pair of Hella ff 50 lights on my R1200R. I have them mounted on Lumalink brackets.

I am very happy with the set-up, and the Hella's do not break the bank.

Tom

On my RT I had the micro DE HID on under mirror mounts (to go with HID low beams). Serious well focused light. I am waiting for under mirror mounts for my GTL to be made and then I will reinstall them on that bike. On the rt they were a great supplement to the high beam.

^^^ So, did you have the Micro DE HIDs wired to the low-beams, high-beam, or independently?

Back