• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Insurance for Aging Drivers-Your Opinion?

kantuckid

I'm trying to help my wife's aunt buy cheaper car insurance. She is 82 yrs old,single, never had a ticket nor an accident & decent health for age. She drives to church on Sunday, grocery once per week & occasionally out to eat maybe 2 times per week. Call it 8 miles per trip X 3 times per week max for total of 50 mile weekly average & NEVER when icy!
If you saw her you would guess she was 15 years younger! During a short nursing home stay last year due only because of a knee rehab & her house being 2 story,etc., she was constantly asked if she worked there.
She drives a 2001 Olds and currently has liability only through AARP/Hartford @ $1662 per year. Her homeowners is through KY Farm Bureau Ins & there policy was way higher than current one. As she is a non web person I'm beginning to look for her as a way to save. I did ask her why she pays $249 yrly for a medical benefit on that policy that also includes work loss-seems to me that with Medicare & retired for many years thats not logical but only part of the money picture.
I'm used to shopping for bike insurance but mine is all long term with KY Farm Bureau for cars,house,farm. She's paying far more than me @ 68 yrs old & ours is 2 drivers,full coverage on late model cars & lots more mileage-ours are ~$500yrly for each car & truck, bike is less than $150 yrly and we live 72 k from her.
Any ideas to get her cost down?:ear:lurk:ear

Bundle

Bundle her policies. GEICO gave me the best results; but my Mom got better results with a local agent who put together a package for her.

You have to do the legwork; there is money to be saved.

My aunt was in a similar situation and I suggested she check with Erie Insurance. She changed to them and has been very happy with their rates and service. Her house was badly damaged and her car was totaled by the tornado that went through Glade Springs, Va and they treated her like royalty. Erie is really picky about who they insure so she should check with them only if she has had no claims and other factors are pristine.

I was with Hartford through AARP before I went with them. I went shopping when they raised my rates on one car because I drove it more and another because I drove it less (I might loan it out because it was "extra"?). They pointed out I should stay with them because of my age (before they looked and said "oh").

Erie is a non-KY company. I talked to AAA & saved her $472 yrly & higher liability. No membership needed . Guy said they are often the cheapest for seniors & noobie drivers , those two categories being ones they go after. I'll price GEICO too, just because you never know.

You just have to shop it smart, take your time. AARP is a rip IMHO. Never heard of anyone shopping them who didn't do better.

I have not found AARP to be cheap on anything and they really push coverage for seniors. Just stay home from work one day and watch the TV. They run adds all day long aimed just at the elderly.

My wife had AAA auto coverage before we got married but shifted to Farmers when we tied the knot. She saved over $400 a year.

Coverage for my bike cost me half as much(with better coverage) when I switched from Farmers to GEICO.
My Farmers agent told me that they do not like to cover bikers, but I have found they own a whole other company just to cover motorcycles. Go figure.

You guys are right, it pays to shop around.

Insurance

I am in Florida, windstorm insurance has gotten totally out of hand, my car insurance is PIP and liability only on my old 1997 Suburban which is not bad considering my zip code.

One thing I just found out, your past claims are all on file someplace, if you ever had water damage claim it is there and it makes prospective insurance carriers nervous if they will write the policy to begin with. They are worried about mold.

As we had several tornados rip through E.KY this March(relatively unheard of here) I look for all property insurance to go wayyyyy up soon. It had to have cost the insurance companies dearly.

AARP- Foremost

If anyone is looking for EXCELLENT motorcycle or RV coverage....try Foremost (sponsored by AARP)...for years I had USAA, but Foremost beats them big time!!!

If anyone is looking for EXCELLENT motorcycle or RV coverage....try Foremost (sponsored by AARP)...for years I had USAA, but Foremost beats them big time!!!

I don't trust anything associated with AARP. They take advantage of older people through fear. I once bought insurance through one of their sponsored companies. When I got my second or third renewal billing, they had increased the premium on my car and my truck but left the SUV the same. I called them and asked them why. They said they raised the rates on my car because I drove it more. They said they increased the rates on my rarely driven truck because it was a 3rd vehicle and I might loan it out. When I said I was going to shop around, they said "At your age..".until they saw my age of under 60 and they said "Oh" and hung up. I went insurance shopping and bought better coverage for just over half of what they wanted.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Back