• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need Help. How do I disable the servos on 05 GS

espressoforyou

I am getting ready to take a trip and I need to disable the servos on my 2005 r1200GS. I might have a bad wiring harness but do not have the money to replace it or the time to search for damaged wires before the trip. My servos and ABS do not work most of the time but sometimes when going slow and applying brakes they will kick in unexpectedly and cause me to come close to dropping the bike(not much fun). How do you suggest I disable them?

A little back ground information on the symptoms I am experiencing.

> ABS and servos work intermittently(mainly not).
> Horn does not work.
> Blinkers do not work.
> Heated hand grips do not work.
> Flashers do not work.
> Trip meter does not work.
> Brake light does not work when front or rear brake peddle is applied(tail light works).

I am picking my pick up from Bloodworth BMW in Nashville next week after they have had it for FOUR MONTHS "repairing" a leaking counterbalance seal for the SIXTH TIME(another story for another time).

Bloodworth's suggestion on how to solve my electrical problems in to replace the wiring harness for $2,000 as a first step and then if that does not solve the problems start replacing other electrical components until they stumble upon the root cause. They don't seem to have the capability or desire to search for a break in the wiring harness and repair it. They would prefer to replace the whole harness and bill me for their lack of diagnostic ability.

I would appreciate your help with how to disable the servos, but secondly I would love suggestions how to diagnosis the other electrical problems.

Thanks for you help.

I am getting ready to take a trip and I need to disable the servos on my 2005 r1200GS.

I do not know if this will work. The first thing I'd try is to remove the connecter going to the ABS module and seeing if the bike will still start and run. If it does start and run be aware that you will likely have a non-working speedometer/odometer in addition to your other woes.

Another possibility is disconnecting the power lead that goes from the Alternator to the ABS unit. I'm not sure if that is possible without destroying the battery power connector at the alternator, though.

1) Using a bike in this condition for a planned trip is a dubious and unsafe choice

2) Sounds like your dealer doesn't have first class folks. Locate a better shop

3) Just get rid of it and get ourself something more reliable if you can't fix it yourself and you can't find a good shop to do it for you. Reality is that many complex or intermittent electrical issues can be a real pita to find and fix so test the talent level of many who would try. Be realistic and if you can't deal with it, sell it to someone who wants to- it won't fix itself and living with it isn't doing anything for you. Not that many $ to get a less used, more current, and better condition machine- maybe not much more than fixing what you own if you have to pay for the fix.

Good point

The trip I am planning on taking is going to be 90% fire roads so the ABS was going to be turned off anyway. But I think I will take your suggestion and not take my bike and take my wife's f650gs single instead.

I would appreciate your help when I start working on my bike

Thanks.

Back