• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Day Passes?

Are Day Passes available at a reduced rate or is it all or nothing? I have a few friends that would like to come for part of a day and would like to not pay for the entire rally.

TIA,

Davis Eichelberger
Christiansburg, VA

Day Passes

Standard BMW MOA policy is that there is an event fee for the INternational Rally, covering the entire event. It is up to you to decide how much of the event you wish to participate in for that fee.

In other words, no day passes are available for the BMW MOA International Rally, per club policy. It's like buying a ticket to a baseball game. You don't get a cheaper ticket just because you only want to watch the fourth and fifth innings.

If you are planning on coming for a day, you really should stay for the three full days. There will be way too much happening to see and do in just a single day.

Day passes

I've beat this horse to death, but one more kick. (I'm registeed, BTW.) I still think it would benefit BMWMOA to offer Saturday day passes with no prize tickets. Nothing but an arm band and a "have a good time". Maybe the average rider age would drop under 40 something if we could get ourselves 'introduced' to non-members. But alas, I speak to the sound of crickets.

I never have understood this policy, and asked the question in hopes that it might finally have changed. BTW, I live 2 1/2 hrs away and plan to stay on site the entire 4 days. If you allowed people in on Saturday for say half price, there would probably be a few people that are currently paying full price, that would spend two nights and socialize outside the rally and only pay the day fee for the vendor access. From what I see of the BMW community, it will be very few that would try to save this way. Let's face it most attendees are riding at least 500 miles and staying for the majority of the rally, saving $15 on registration and having to find somewhere else to stay is not going to happen very often.

However, trying to convince my brother-in-law and father to stop by and check it out for a few hours when they happen to be in the area would be a lot easier if the price was reduced. What does MOA fear from allowing the people not currently associated with BMW to see what we are all about. MOA would benefit as they get more exposure, the vendors would benefit as they would have more sales and BMWNA would benefit as they would be able to show their product to potential customers not currently served by a dealer. I don't believe there is a single dealer in WV.

Davis Eichelberger

Re: Day Passes

Michael Friedle said:
In other words, no day passes are available for the BMW MOA International Rally, per club policy. It's like buying a ticket to a baseball game. You don't get a cheaper ticket just because you only want to watch the fourth and fifth innings.

Ever see what happens to the price of scalped football tickets by halftime in a game that's a blowout? BIG Discount!!

Davis Eichelberger

Day passes

The MOA is not a scalper operation nor are we ticket pimps. The scalper doesn't want to see the game, he just wants to sell his tickets which will be worthless after the game. The person who buys the tickets after the game has started wants to see the game and is willing to miss part of it for a cheaper price. I am sure you have noticed that the baseball team doesn't reduce the price of the tickets in the fourth inning, just the scalper.

Maybe someone who is leaving town after the closing ceremony on Saturday will sell you their wristband at a reduced rate.

:dunno

I also agree that day passes would be beneficial. Not everyone has the luxury of having the full three days for this rally. I live four hours away, and due to my work schedule, will only attend one day. I feel a little duped in that I won't get my moneys worth. I know of others who won't even attend because of the cost of spending only one day. I agree with Davis. If day passes were offered, BMWMOA would see more attendance, and a more diverse local crowd who want to look around, without such a steep price-tag. Just a thought. For now, I'll just get duped.

another Ballpark anology

At the minor league park near my hometown they open the gates after 5 innings and anyone can stroll in and grab an empty seat. They don't collect anything at the gate but the venders might pick up some business and you might develop an interested fan. Most of the late comers are just local kids.

While I have never been in favor of day passes I have to say that this years venue with the indoor stuff at the Civic Center is perfect for day passes. Kinda like a pay to enter motorcycle show. But, you never get the MOA to change their ways and the committee chairs will defend those policies instead of listening to input from the membership.

We went to the rally in Rhinebeck, NY a few years back, and there were Day Passes available at that particular rally. We were new to the BMW crowd at that time, and really didn't know how things operated with the on site camping and such, and had set up camp at another local campground. We really only wanted to see one day's worth of vendors, and at the time day passes were had for $10 each. Seemed like a good idea to us as well.

Unfortunately the next year in Michigan, is I guess when the new "No Day Pass" policy began. This was a shame, since my husband's family lives in Michigan and were interested in coming to visit, and see what the rally scene is all about. There was no justification for them forking out $120 to wander around for a couple hours though. When I asked about the day pass policy before, I was told from that year's rally staff that logistically it was hard to keep up with, or some such BS. We had been to many Goldwing rallies before that, and they didn't seem to have a problem.

But, yes, it is like beating a dead horse around here...

Back