Thread: New rider here with a question

Hybrid View

New rider here with a question

Whats the deal with acknowledging an oncoming motorcyclist? Some point two fingers down, some do a Hawaiian thing with the thumb and pinky, others just wave by pointing their clutch hand fingers up. thanks for your input.

New riders should keep their hands on the bars and their attention focused on the ride (road, other vehicles, etc. etc. etc.). Maybe give him a short happy nod back. Make friends later.

Actual hand signals depend on where you live, present conditions ("cop ahead", "debris ahead"), and your mutual understanding of what the hand is saying.

Welcome to the fold!

Thanks Paul

That's sage advice! I haven't returned an acknowledgement yet, just for the reasons you state. I'm still curious about meaning and etiquette.

Thanks

Two fingers sideways or down is just a convenient Hi.
    I sometimes give a low thumb up, especially if he's also on a BMW; this can also mean Your way ahead is clear (popular here on Angeles Crest, with debris + cops).
    Thumb and pinky is "Hang Loose".
    Fist up can be either "Right On!" or "nail it" (pumping fist, for faster groups).
    Fingers sweeping back & forth downward is You are about to encounter debris.
    Quick tap to the head is cop ahead (acknowledge with a nod or thumb).
    Palm down is caution, slow down ahead.
    One finger is I'm an idiot who thinks his bike is better than yours.
    And so many more... Google "motorcycle hand signals" but don't depend on them.

Etiquette? We ain't got no etiquette!

Morning Person
    I just flash two fingers down, like inverted peace sign...some say it communicates the number of cylinders your bike has (F800ST...parallel twin), but who knows. Have heard all kinds of stuff. I get all kinds of waves...doesn't matter what you do.

Thanks Paul aand Flyrider,

That's pretty much what I thought.

Thumbs up Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by packitout View Post
    Whats the deal with acknowledging an oncoming motorcyclist? Some point two fingers down, some do a Hawaiian thing with the thumb and pinky, others just wave by pointing their clutch hand fingers up. thanks for your input.
    Seriously? I actually love that you've made a thread asking about how to wave "properly" on a bike. You'll find the topic to have nearly as many answers as your typical oil, or tire thread. Here's my spin on waving- just do it! I wave to anything and everything on two wheels, to people in cars who don't pull out in front of me, and to girls. People have different "waves" but anything will do- just make sure you can wave safely. If you think you have to do it a certain way, then do what you feel. IMO there's no right or wrong. Again, nod or ignore if you cannot acknowledge another rider in total safety.

Enjoy your bike and have fun out there.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World