Thread: Favorite Books

Hybrid View

Favorite Books

in some sembelence of order
    Once and Future King - T H White (who co authored the writers bible "Elements of Style" with Strunk) is a beautiful, supurbly written, easy to read story about King Arthur
    Grapes of Wrath - John Stienbeck: Pulitzer prize and national book award winner. Brilliant character development and story telling about a family during the depression. The tragic and uplifting story of those wackey Joads.
    Sometimes A Great Notion - Ken Keasy: colorful, descriptive story about the Pacific Northwest and the logging culture and people - sorta a challenging read.
    Pissing in the Snow - Vance Randolf - a collection of humorous, sex related Ozark folk tales in authentic colorful language. Great at a camp site
    Spartina - John Casey: Great book about a modern day fisherman. it sorta defies adequate description.
    Grendel - John Gardener: The story of the mythic monster through the monster's eyes & dark philosophy.
    Paris Trout - Pete Dexter: Evil meets violence in the deep south and messes up peoples lives - gripping well told story
    Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy - funny, clever romp of science fiction
    Something Wicked this Way Comes - Ray Bradbury paints tension and suspense into a vividly descriptive novela.
    Maus - Art Spiegeleman's graphic novel defines the concept of adult comic books. Tells the story of the holocaust. Surprisingly powerful
    Oh Yea; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig wrote this intellectual tour de force that follows his inquiry into the meaning of life while on a motorcycle tour. a heavy read.
    Last edited by Bob_M; 05-26-2005 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Stienbeck

SNC1923
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    Hawaii by James Michener

getting ready to read

She's a Bad Motorcycle edited by Geno Zanetti

good idea for a thread

my favorite book is usually the one that i am currently reading. which today is "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood" by Alexandra Fuller. her story of growing up (mostly) in Rhodesia (now called Zimbabwe). before that i read a couple by Bill Bryson - Walk in The Woods (he takes on the Appalachian Trail) and ...Sunburned Country in which he takes an interesting look at Australia.
    read tom sawyer/huck finn 65 time as a kid, but now i mostly read things once and move on. gosh there are soooooo many books!
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Blocking the slow lane

Most of my mental development ended at age 5

Everybody Poops by Taro Gomi
    Arthur Babysits Marc Brown
    And anything by Al Franken

Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

interesting thread

I started re-reading Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance yesterday. First read was 25 or so years ago. My margin notes look pretty sophomoric now. Pirsig's second book (don't recall the title) is simply unreadable.

Looking at my bookcase, a few favorites jump out:
    The Magus by John Fowels (the only book that ever kept me up all night on a worknight)
    Blue Highways and River Horse by William Least Heat Moon. In the first he travels America's back roads in an old van, meeting some really interesting folk along the way (easy to imagine substituting a M/C for the van). In the second he travels from the Atlantic, across America to the Pacific by boat. It CAN be done.
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. If you saw the TV mini series you probably don't need to read it as it was quite faithful to the book. In either media it is worth the time.
    Anything by Alan Furst. Night Soldiers may be the best. A spy novel set in Europe in the 1930's between the Nazi's and the Soviets. Furst is a master sentence crafter.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, a mystery novel set in a monastary in 1327. It is really much better than you'd think. And better than the movie though Sean Connery is almost always worth watching.
    And for sheer fun, anything by Tom Robbins.

John

BobFV1
    Ulysses - James Joyce (especially the last chapter, known in literary circles as "Molly Bloom's Soliloquy")

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu (aka "In Search of Lost TIme" and "Remembrance of things Past")- Marcel Proust

The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemmingway

An Ice-Cream War - William Boyd

Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev

The Winter of our Discontent - John Steinbeck

Kbrick

a few of mine

[QUOTE=John Brase]I started re-reading Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance yesterday. First read was 25 or so years ago. My margin notes look pretty sophomoric now. Pirsig's second book (don't recall the title) is simply unreadable.

I have been a fan of Larry McMurtry's non fiction work before I started reading the novels. "Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen", is one of my favorite non fiction works. "The Last Picture Show" is a much better book than it was a movie and I liked the movie.
    Louise Ehrlich wrote a book of essays "The Solace of Open Spaces", about Wyoming and the people who live there, each chapter is moving.

And now for something comepletely different any of the Michael Palin companion books about his travels around the world.
    "Around the World in 80 Days"
    "Pole to Pole"
    "Hemingways Adventure"
    "Full Circle"

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brase
    I started re-reading Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance yesterday. First read was 25 or so years ago. My margin notes look pretty sophomoric now. Pirsig's second book (don't recall the title) is simply unreadable.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, a mystery novel set in a monastary in 1327. It is really much better than you'd think. And better than the movie though Sean Connery is almost always worth watching.
    And for sheer fun, anything by Tom Robbins.

John
    I tried to reread Zen a few years ago also after about 30 years from the first attempt, got thru the first few chapters, and while I liked it a whole better the second time, it still didn't really capture me so it got put away, again, maybe when I'm 90 I'll pull it out and try again.

Name of the Rose, definately a winner, moive was pretty good to but as you S. C. had a lot to do with that.

RM

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Real ponies don't go oink, Patrick F Mcmanus,
    Beyond top Secret, Timothy Good
    The man who walked through time, Colin Edwards
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT