• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

key blank 70's airhead

Gpr100rs

Anyone know a good source for a key blank? Ordered one on-line, looked like the original, plastic head that pivots, but my local reputable locksmith said "depth" was not sucfficient. He cut it but it won't work. He also cut a Volvo blank that doesn't work. I have what I think is an original spare. Picture is spare that works on the left next to supposed original replacement that won't work. I at least need a spare, even if it doesn't look like the original. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 272
I got a blank at the local dealer. My local locksmith also had a proper blank (non folding though). Both keys work well.

Got mine (folding head) from Hucky for ~$10. Cut at the local locksmith for another $5, and working fine.

Folding key blanks. . .

Same experience as OP w/ folding key blank, except for me, insufficient "depth" relates NOT to the length of the key blank, but rather to the width of the blank (top-to-bottom, sideways - not thickness) -- obvious upon close comparisison, and strange that the manufacturer couldn't get this right, eh?

I had two folding keys made (with these "thin" blanks) for two separate R100RS's, and one worked fine, and one did not. Go figure.

To round-out this discussion for others, these folding keys are steel and not "alloy." Many local key-makers will NOT cut these, as it eats the abrasive wheel.

Walking Eagle

I ordered blanks on line from a dealer.

Local key guy would not cut them, as they are steel.

I did not have the bike with me at the time, just the ignition key.
he made me two keys.

They did not start the engine, but will work the locks on fairing compartments for my 1982 R100RT.

I went back in to the key guy with the bike, he made two more and he ground down the upper area as can be seen on the attached.

I now keep the two non-modified keys in storage compartment locks and have extra ignition keys.

If I ever need a key to start engine I can ground one of those those down so it fits deeper in the ignition and will start the bike

Code on Key is SR61N

Attachments

• keys RT 001.jpg
    keys RT 001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
This is where I bought my folding keys:

http://motokeys.ecrater.com/p/11294494/bmw-motorcycle-airhead-folding-key

These are steel keys, but the steel is soft. For those who do not work with metal, that means a file will cut the key but the key is harder than brass. What I did was take the keys (both original and blank) out of their folding plastic and used the original to cut the copy. This was done using a small vise, miniature file, then aligning the two keys, and (carefully) filing the new key to fit the profile of the old.

No, the new key blank does not have the same profile height dimension as the original. But, it works just as well even though the profile is a bit shorter (truncated). I am thinking all the replacement folding keys sold today have the same smaller blank dimensions than my 1978 original. I chose to cut my own out of preference. Many people have reported good luck getting a locksmith to cut replacement keys.

About ten years ago I took a couple of folding key blanks to an old fashioned kiosk in the middle of a parking lot via my auto. Arrived home & they didn't work. A day or so later I returned with the R90 so as to show that there was a problem. The lady checked things, then filed here & there on the blank, trying it as she worked. She did a good job & both keys worked. Skill & a good attitude got the job done.

As to keys working in every lock on an old bike except the ignition, I suspect that it is due to the fact that the ignition key is most regularly used & mile after mile bumps & vibration with the key in the lock cause the parts to wear & be out of spec. The fewer keys on the fob the better for extending the life of the lock. Lubing with a proper (graphite) lube helps as well.

Bad Folding Keys and Mismanufactured Keys 1970's R90/6 and similar

There a large number of badly made Folding Keys and mis-manufactured Keys for 1970's R90/6 and similar. They being sold online and through authorized BMW dealers. Look at these keys - both new keys are mis-manufactured -- there is no way you could cut these keys correctly even with the correct VIN and key code. They are marked/labeled as Neiman but have no marking as to country of origin. As of the date of this entry e-bay and other sites are offering keys that look like Neiman but are manufactured in Thailand and India. Beware. The folding mechanism works fine but the key blank it self is defective. The grove on the shaft of the key at the top is too wide. At the bottom of the key shaft where the notches / teeth are is cut too small. You may be able to see the extra small groves from the key making process.

Attachments

• key 5.jpg
    key 5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Key 3.jpg
    Key 3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Key 2.jpg
    Key 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 109
My 75 R90/6 came with one key that fortunately worked with all of the locks, until I got stupid. I accidentally left it in the steering lock and turned the front wheel bending the key almost 90 degrees. I pulled the key out of the lock but it snapped immediately when i tried to straighten it.

Took it to Ace Hardware where they found a blank they thought would work and cut the key for me. It didn't even come close to working (way too short).

Then I went to a local old-time locksmith shop where they looked it up and cut two new keys for me. Both worked perfectly.

The original bent key was a Taylor B69K blank.

Here's a list of other compatible key blanks from the site http://www.keys4urride.com/bmw-sr61n-p-74.html

Ilco SR61N Note - per a post above, this blank is not deep enough without modification (however, the model looks like SR51N to me in JB1982RT's post).
Ilco EZ
Silca NE5
JMA NE-6

Hope this is helpful.

Larry

Last edited:
Had to make my own. Got a set of blanks off ebay. Took them, and my one original to two different locksmith shops. Nothing either shop cut came close to working. After two trips to the shop with a good reputation and close to 100 miles total travel and still no key. Sat down with the last blank , a set of files and after about 45 min. made my own spare. Both shops evidently didn't feel any failure guilt, no offer of my money back.

With a proper blank these single side keys are simple for a locksmith to cut. I don't know what is with the eBay blanks but the Taylor blank is easy to get. It won't have a roundel, but it will work. So we get to pick what we want. There is almost nothing that somebody can't make cheaper and crappier (tech term).

Ebay flat blanks were fine. My one and only original is a roundel. No one could figure out how to use their machine with that round knob on the end of the key.

Good Luck

Back